You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

@lebron is right - the speed and direction of our passing will improve massively with Thiago and Elliot in the team - I'm genuinely excited as it will give the forwards more ball, and more time on the ball - they'll receive it earlier and in more space rather than have to wait for ever for one of the dull predictable balls that the opposition defenders read so easily.

His touch is as good as anyone at the club.  Ball is killed stone dead every time and moved on to the right player at the right time. Anyone with doubts about Harvey don't understand football and no amount of spreadsheets will change that.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Mad the way that people have gone from refusing to acknowledge for about 8 years that Henderson was decent, then finally jumping on the bandwagon massively late, then jumping off again sharpish.   

Yep, all seems to have started with this 'he's picking up injuries \ always injured' stuff.

24 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Mad the way that people have gone from refusing to acknowledge for about 8 years that Henderson was decent, then finally jumping on the bandwagon massively late, then jumping off again sharpish.   

I like Henderson, just thought the joke was funny. You've got to admit though that what Henderson offers is very different to what Elliot offers. They're very different players. Both very useful but in different circumstances. 

If the opposition are playing ten men behind the ball, then you want Elliot because he's much more creative with his passing and movement. Henderson mostly plays low percentage balls and his shooting from range leaves a lot to be desired.

If it's a European game at Anfield, and you need your generals on the pitch because of their experience, and you're looking to smother your opponent early doors and give them no time on the ball, then Henderson is perfect. 

17 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The kid is deceptively quick I think, and whilst not being blisteringly fast, he's definitely a couple of steps quicker than our other midfielders and that is something we've been crying out for.

I think it’s what makes this most important is that he doesn’t seem to be any slower when he runs with the ball than when he runs without it, and not in a “knock it ahead a run” way but actually dribbling with the ball under close control at pace way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

IT WAS A JOKE

11 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

The right sided one has been getting forward a lot more this season though, especially if Thiago plays as the left centre mid.  Where else would you play him?  

He'd be great in the 'Bobby' role.

If City came in and offered us Grealish as a straight swap for Harvey I would turn them down. I think his ceiling is much higher. Might seem silly saying that about an established international who went for £100 million in the summer. I think this lad is going to be a bit special for us though.

Said earlier this season that he starts for me. He may have some faults bit he's a kid and the more he plays, the better he gets. 

That Foden cunt gets praised like he's the second coming but this lad is better. His mentality is fucking brilliant. To come back from an injury like that and be that confident. He add something different. My 3 in the middle are Elliott, Henderson and Fabinho. The lad reminds me of an early gascoigne. So much talent and a deceptively strong little fucker.

I'll always appreciate Henderson 's contributions on and off the field over the last few years. He's also easy to root for in terms of working hard to overcome the odds. For that he deserves a lot of credit.

As a central midfielder for a world-conquering side his ability on the ball is still some way off though. In games where we control the play and play against a low block, his inability to break the lines with passes or dribbles is extremely frustrating to watch. As someone said he still has a role to play in games where our main focus is shocking/harassing the opponent (European home games for instance). For our attacking play to keep developing, I'd prefer it if he was phased out over the next  couple of seasons while maintaining his leadership on and off the pitch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lebron said:

I'll always appreciate Henderson 's contributions on and off the field over the last few years. He's also easy to root for in terms of working hard to overcome the odds. For that he deserves a lot of credit.

As a central midfielder for a world-conquering side his ability on the ball is still some way off though. In games where we control the play and play against a low block, his inability to break the lines with passes or dribbles is extremely frustrating to watch. As someone said he still has a role to play in games where our main focus is shocking/harassing the opponent (European home games for instance). For our attacking play to keep developing, I'd prefer it if he was phased out over the next  couple of seasons while maintaining his leadership on and off the pitch.

Henderson's biggest fault for me was summed up against Cardiff. He basically backed out of a 50 50 ball and was sent up in the air, landing on his side. The great midfielders of yesteryear always talked of how the moment you don't give 100% in a challenge you risk being injured. 

He has everything to be a legend but sometimes he looks like he doesn't believe it himself.

43 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Henderson's biggest fault for me was summed up against Cardiff. He basically backed out of a 50 50 ball and was sent up in the air, landing on his side. The great midfielders of yesteryear always talked of how the moment you don't give 100% in a challenge you risk being injured. 

He has everything to be a legend but sometimes he looks like he doesn't believe it himself.

Its pointless being a 'hard man' nowadays as you keep getting penalised for even a hint of a foul. I think Henderson doesn't like them tackles as he fears another injury and has been playing like he's carrying one all season.

13 hours ago, lebron said:

I truly appreciate Henderson's contributions off the pitch.  He's been a proper captain and ambassador in that respect.  

11 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

He always bottles out of challenges, and he won't show for the ball if he thinks he might come under pressure.  Even for a throw in.  It's been the same almost since he arrived.  I thought we had another potential Souness when he first got here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, lebron said:

I've rarely seen anything like the pressure he, Wijnaldum and Milner put on opposing midfields in Europe over the years. They were just destroyed, with games often over after half an hour. Insane stuff that we probably won't appreciate until days when we don't have as much to cheer about. Roma, Manchester City, Barcelona. Whoever, whenever. He and the other components of the midfield three were a huge part of us reaching two European Cup Finals in two years. For me, he was always at his best in those huge games. Obviously that's a role that becomes more difficult as he ages, though. 

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

He always bottles out of challenges, and he won't show for the ball if he thinks he might come under pressure.  Even for a throw in.  It's been the same almost since he arrived.  I thought we had another potential Souness when he first got here. 

A loose argument could be made that a crunching Hendo tackle cost us the league in 2013/14 when he got sent off against Manchester City for going through Nasri. 

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

A loose argument could be made that a crunching Hendo tackle cost us the league in 2013/14 when he got sent off against Manchester City for going through Nasri. 

that wouldn't be fair, but it sort of reinforces my point - he almost never tackles any more, and it's not about being smarter, showing the attacking player areas of the pitch in which he can do less damage, he just becomes so passive, running alongside the attacker until the attacker decides to run past him or pass the ball.  He's almost always in the wrong areas defensively too - when you watch the replay of a goal against us, he's usually in no man's land, before doing that little 'jump of disappointment' when the ball crosses our goal line.  It's what you'd expect from a young kid getting in the team, which is sort of ironic, because as a kid, he would usually be far more decisive.  

12 minutes ago, stringvest said:

that wouldn't be fair, but it sort of reinforces my point - he almost never tackles any more, and it's not about being smarter, showing the attacking player areas of the pitch in which he can do less damage, he just becomes so passive, running alongside the attacker until the attacker decides to run past him or pass the ball.  He's almost always in the wrong areas defensively too - when you watch the replay of a goal against us, he's usually in no man's land, before doing that little 'jump of disappointment' when the ball crosses our goal line.  It's what you'd expect from a young kid getting in the team, which is sort of ironic, because as a kid, he would usually be far more decisive.  

Isn’t amazing how one of the best managers in the world has regularly picked, as captain, a midfielder who is stupid, passive and always in the wrong place, and yet we won the league and champions league while that was happening?

It’s like one of the universe’s great miracles, along with black holes and cheese on toast.

• Upvote 10