You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

46 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Was a stupid post by Bumcunt, but Eze and Olise are attacking midfielders who progress the ball up the pitch, they're not really forwards that absolutely need to score. If they played here, they would play a hybrid role like it seems Carvalho will. They're both pretty decent young players.

I'm not even exalting Eze or Olise, they're just a comparison from the most recent game we drew against a team likely to be in a  relegation fight.  And Elliott wouldn't be starting for them, partly because of their system maybe, but mostly because he hasn't got pace. 

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I'm not even exalting Eze or Olise, they're just a comparison from the most recent game we drew against a team likely to be in a  relegation fight.  And Elliott wouldn't be starting for them, partly because of their system maybe, but mostly because he hasn't got pace. 

Who cares whether Elliott would or would not start for Palace? Why is that an interesting hypothetical? He's shown some qualities to play here, that's all that matters. 

Also, this obsession with pace is starting to make no sense. Casemiro, Kroos, Modric is the slowest midfield around and they've won about 5 European Cups together. People need to get over the pace thing. Elliott is plenty quick enough to play midfield and you don't need to be particularly quick to play midfield. Yes, we could do with more athleticism in there because we've started to lack that profile, but that doesn't eliminate Elliott as an option, that's a separate issue. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, John102 said:

We have gone full circle. 

Lets recruit David Amoo, Dave Moli and Henoc Mukendi again.

Dave Moli is a name I don't remember ever hearing. Googled him and he's led an interesting life.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/2267363/2020/12/24/david-moli-liverpool-sterling/%3famp=1

I'll be on to Henoc Mukendi next, never heard of him either.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Who cares whether Elliott would or would not start for Palace? Why is that an interesting hypothetical? He's shown some qualities to play here, that's all that matters. 

Also, this obsession with pace is starting to make no sense. Casemiro, Kroos, Modric is the slowest midfield around and they've won about 5 European Cups together. People need to get over the pace thing. Elliott is plenty quick enough to play midfield and you don't need to be particularly quick to play midfield. Yes, we could do with more athleticism in there because we've started to lack that profile, but that doesn't eliminate Elliott as an option, that's a separate issue. 

Ha, I'm not saying that pace is the main strength of every top midfielder, but Elliott does not have the skillset of any of those Madrid players you listed.  In time he might have the intelligence and craft of Modric, but Madrid didn't play Modric as a 19 year old. They waited until he was the finished product and bought him. 

Kroos is 6 foot, Casemiro is taller, height and power is not within Elliott's gift.  

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I’m quick enough to suggest you’re talking shite, so it’s only right that I say that’s a cracking post.

28 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Ha, I'm not saying that pace is the main strength of every top midfielder, but Elliott does not have the skillset of any of those Madrid players you listed.  In time he might have the intelligence and craft of Modric, but Madrid didn't play Modric as a 19 year old. They waited until he was the finished product and bought him. 

Kroos is 6 foot, Casemiro is taller, height and power is not within Elliott's gift.  

So if it’s not the pace then, it’s the «lightweight card»?

Elliott was our best midfielder defensively by a country mile against Palace. Made 7 tackles and won 5 of them. The taller Henderson needs a full season to reach 5 successful tackles, as does Kroos I would presume. Who fucking cares how tall he is if he gets the job done? 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

So if it’s not the pace then, it’s the «lightweight card»?

Elliott was our best midfielder defensively by a country mile against Palace. Made 7 tackles and won 5 of them. The taller Henderson needs a full season to reach 5 successful tackles, as does Kroos I would presume. Who fucking cares how tall he is if he gets the job done? 

We didn't need him doing that.  We needed him creating and scoring. 

"Ah that's a lot on a 19 year old"

Oh ok, so we're not an elite European club and we've got a couple of years to burn on youth development of starting XI players?

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We didn't need him doing that.  We needed him creating and scoring. 

"Ah that's a lot on a 19 year old"

Oh ok, so we're not an elite European club and we've got a couple of years to burn on youth development of starting XI players?

Exactly what did we need him to do then? Be tall?

Edit, I see you wrote create and score. Does he need to be tall to do that? Is Messi, Mane or Salah tall? 

Here are his numbers from the Palace match. At least he did more of the things you’d normally expect from a midfielder than any of our other midfielders did that night, or normally do. In addition to the below stats, he had one decent finish with his head and one good one with his left foot, the latter would’ve beaten the keeper had it not been blocked. Opinions are all good mate, and you may think Elliott isn’t good enough yet, but your arguements are rubbish.

Harvey Elliot vs Crystal Palace:

90% passing accuracy
100% dribbles completed 
2 interceptions
5 tackles won
6 ground duels won
2 chances created

• Like 1

Look, we're all on the same side, I just don't agree that Elliott is the answer NOW to competing.  If we're ok with a 1 or 2 year hiatus from challenging, and I am, then all is ok I guess.  

I don't think it's particularly fair on Elliott either, Klopp is dumping a lot on his shoulders while Chamberlain and Keita can coast.  

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Look, we're all on the same side, I just don't agree that Elliott is the answer NOW to competing.  If we're ok with a 1 or 2 year hiatus from challenging, and I am, then all is ok I guess.  

I don't think it's particularly fair on Elliott either, Klopp is dumping a lot on his shoulders while Chamberlain and Keita can coast.  

Fair enough.

I'm a bit with Bumcunt here as Elliott just hasnt impressed me and I dont see what all the fuss is about,just yet. Of course he wouldnt be playing if our sicknotes werent up to their usual standards of being injured so its probably a bit unfair on him to be too harsh at present. We do need a midfield shake up,as much for numbers than anything else.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm a bit with Bumcunt here as Elliott just hasnt impressed me and I dont see what all the fuss is about,just yet. Of course he wouldnt be playing if our sicknotes werent up to their usual standards of being injured so its probably a bit unfair on him to be too harsh at present. We do need a midfield shake up,as much for numbers than anything else.

Elliot has lots to learn, as you would expect from any 19 year old who played in forward positions all his youth career and we're trying to make him in to a midfielder and he doesn't have 10 games there to his name yet. That's not Elliott's fault. But sadly our midfielders are so fragile, it is inevitable if Elliot stays fit, he will default and get in the team. It was the same this time last year. The real problem is everyone is moaning about us dropping points on Monday, but that's when the lad has done well. At 19, he's going to have loads of performances that are below that level and that could run for months at a time and chances are, we'll still have a midfield group full of crocks and klopp will still need to keep playing him or he will be 1st choice off the bench.

Bringing kids in and allowing them to learn on their feet is great when you can choose to play them as City were mostly able to do with foden. We had Trent come through with lots of ups and downs and had to play him through them, but initially we weren't competing to win the league - and not normal league, a league where you need around 100 points. 

I don't think it's unreasonable to think if Elliot was to play 30 league games this year, we probably wouldn't win the league. 

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think Bumcunt just really likes Eze.

He's an Eze lover.

SevereDefinitiveFrogmouth-size_restricte

The stats seem to show that he's actually much better when he's not playing on Saturdays.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611544bb447c6715c0bc2

• Upvote 2

I don't 'actually' think Eze is that great.  Lovely to watch, but needs a regular end product. 

2014-18 Coutinho is the benchmark for a creative midfielder for us.  He was brilliant for us back then BEFORE we won the league and CL.  It stands to reason that his level is the minimum, and should arguably be better, as his form for Barca/Bayern didn't exactly meet expectations.  

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I don't 'actually' think Eze is that great.  Lovely to watch, but needs a regular end product. 

2014-18 Coutinho is the benchmark for a creative midfielder for us.  He was brilliant for us back then BEFORE we won the league and CL.  It stands to reason that his level is the minimum, and should arguably be better, as his form for Barca/Bayern didn't exactly meet expectations.  

2014-18 when we won nothing, he was good for us but better for the team when he went.

The £145m helped no end.

7 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Coutinho also won the CL as part of a Bayern team on loan there.

On 16/08/2022 at 23:49, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd expect any player to work their balls off in any PL first team though. Its the least any of them can do.

Try telling that to Keita.

18 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Maybe he believes he’s got what it takes. He’s watching him everyday. Klopp isn’t the kind of manager who would do what you suggest. You should know that.