You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

24 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Cannot beat a man see and goes around in circles almost like he has been asked to do a job and reign it it isn’t it. Seen him beat players regularly though not the fastest incredibly skilful, quite a few assists with forward thinking passes too. 

Yeah, it was the Championship but for Blackburn he was regularly skinning players when he played wide right. 

35 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Cannot beat a man see and goes around in circles almost like he has been asked to do a job and reign it it isn’t it. Seen him beat players regularly though not the fastest incredibly skilful, quite a few assists with forward thinking passes too. 

I dont see that in him yet. I think the dribbling in circles point is a fair one as that time spent on the ball often closes gaps that have previously opened up. I'd rather have Milner as our slow midfielder to begin the game and Elliott as a later sub when the opposition has tired. Interestingly,as little as Carvalho has done in his two league games so far he could have scored a beauty in each of them. I think he seems a bit more overawed than Elliott at the moment though but looks like he has a few goals in his locker when finding his feet.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I dont see that in him yet. I think the dribbling in circles point is a fair one as that time spent on the ball often closes gaps that have previously opened up. I'd rather have Milner as our slow midfielder to begin the game and Elliott as a later sub when the opposition has tired. Interestingly,as little as Carvalho has done in his two league games so far he could have scored a beauty in each of them. I think he seems a bit more overawed than Elliott at the moment though but looks like he has a few goals in his locker when finding his feet.

Normally his first thought is forward so that tells me he is being asked to do a job, he should not be starting really as he has had very little game time in a year as you know mate.

Injuries and not signing one of Bumcunts wonder kids have him playing, he is by no means the finished article but he is young and hungry.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

The difference between Elliott and, say,  Olise, is vast.  

If you want to believe Elliott is a better creative midfielder, well, that's unfortunate. 

We're Liverpool.  Our rivals and peers are not Palace, they are Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Man City.  Teams like Palace should be in awe of our young talent, but I don't think they'd swap Jones for Eze, or Olise for Elliott.

Eze and Olise are wide players in a deep lying, counter attacking 4-2-3-1 or 5-4-1 as they played the other night. 

Jones and Elliott play in a high pressing, possession dominating 4-3-3 team.

It isn't an apples to apples comparison. It's not even apples to oranges. 

Palace probably wouldn't swap those players for ours, because those players suit their set up and style. The more relevant question is would Klopp swap ours for theirs? He wouldn't, even if you seemingly would.

• Upvote 2

He has actually won about a dozen tackles but he must have beat at least one guy off the dribble. Four times.

This season Harvey Elliott leads Liverpool’s midfielders in Tackles Won (4), Successful Pressures (11), Key Passes (3), Successful Dribbles (4), and Shot Creating Actions (9).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Eze and Olise are wide players in a deep lying, counter attacking 4-2-3-1 or 5-4-1 as they played the other night. 

Jones and Elliott play in a high pressing, possession dominating 4-3-3 team.

It isn't an apples to apples comparison. It's not even apples to oranges. 

Palace probably wouldn't swap those players for ours, because those players suit their set up and style. The more relevant question is would Klopp swap ours for theirs? He wouldn't, even if you seemingly would.

The difference is that Eze and Olise have the ability and physicality to play in either formation, in different roles.  

Jones and Elliott are stereotypical youth prodigies who dominated at that level by being technically great, confident, and normally given something akin to a 'free-role' for years.  The truth is, unless they're rapid, or strong, they will never come close to fulfilling that potential at the top level.  

Reminds me of when we bought João Texeiera because he was delightful to watch at a shit level.  Suso had forged a good career but was always a level below good enough.  

City's youth products are taking their time to roll off the production line, despite the hype.  Cole Palmer, Tommy Doyle, James McAtee, all around 20, none of them made any impact yet at City or on loan.  Truth is, you've got to have the pace or be a phenomenal talent.  Even the latter can sometimes not be enough. 

I think Elliott can be a useful player for us, but he shouldn't be starting games, not if we're serious about competing for everything. 

22 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

The difference is that Eze and Olise have the ability and physicality to play in either formation, in different roles.  

Jones and Elliott are stereotypical youth prodigies who dominated at that level by being technically great, confident, and normally given something akin to a 'free-role' for years.  The truth is, unless they're rapid, or strong, they will never come close to fulfilling that potential at the top level.  

Reminds me of when we bought João Texeiera because he was delightful to watch at a shit level.  Suso had forged a good career but was always a level below good enough.  

City's youth products are taking their time to roll off the production line, despite the hype.  Cole Palmer, Tommy Doyle, James McAtee, all around 20, none of them made any impact yet at City or on loan.  Truth is, you've got to have the pace or be a phenomenal talent.  Even the latter can sometimes not be enough. 

I think Elliott can be a useful player for us, but he shouldn't be starting games, not if we're serious about competing for everything. 

Most of that is fair comment (especially about pace) other than I would dispute that Eze and Olise could play midfield in a 4-3-3, especially our 4-3-3.

4 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Eze and Olise aren't forwards. 

If they're forwards then Jones and Elliott are forwards. 

Why the fuck are we wasting our breath with the idea that Elliott or Jones are elite level young midfield players?  Why waste our time for a second? 

Gavi

Pedro

Foden

Bellingham

Camavinga

Wirtz

Tchouameni

That's the fucking level at the top.  The truth is, I'd add a second layer of players below these who are still better than Elliott and Jones.

Fabio Vieiri

Charles De Ketelaere

Gio Reyna

Dominic Szozoboslai

Ryan Gravenberch

Sandro Tonali

I could even add a third

Jacob Ramsey

Michael Olise

Brendan Aaronsen

Connor Gallagher 

Plenty more I'm sure. 

Where does Adam Morgan fit into this?

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Normally his first thought is forward so that tells me he is being asked to do a job, he should not be starting really as he has had very little game time in a year as you know mate.

Injuries and not signing one of Bumcunts wonder kids have him playing, he is by no means the finished article but he is young and hungry.

Elliott is definitely hungry. Like a young Sammy Lee.

5 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Eze and Olise aren't forwards. 

If they're forwards then Jones and Elliott are forwards. 

Why the fuck are we wasting our breath with the idea that Elliott or Jones are elite level young midfield players?  Why waste our time for a second? 

Gavi

Pedro

Foden

Bellingham

Camavinga

Wirtz

Tchouameni

That's the fucking level at the top.  The truth is, I'd add a second layer of players below these who are still better than Elliott and Jones.

Fabio Vieiri

Charles De Ketelaere

Gio Reyna

Dominic Szozoboslai

Ryan Gravenberch

Sandro Tonali

I could even add a third

Jacob Ramsey

Michael Olise

Brendan Aaronsen

Connor Gallagher 

Plenty more I'm sure. 

Open Fm Genie Scout.

Selects midfield, chooses age range 15-21, organises list of potential ability (PA) copies and pastes list until he gets to Elliot.

Fuck off Funnnnneeeee, you simple dickhead.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Em City said:

Where does Adam Morgan fit into this?

I was caught up, as a young man, into believing youth level exploits actually had any relevance to how a career would progress.  

Prolific youth scorers are ten a penny. 

We really may as well let the youth and reserve leagues fold, just farm everyone out on loan. 

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I was caught up, as a young man, into believing youth level exploits actually had any relevance to how a career would progress.  

Prolific youth scorers are ten a penny. 

We really may as well let the youth and reserve leagues fold, just farm everyone out on loan. 

City and Chelsea already do it.

Was a stupid post by Bumcunt, but Eze and Olise are attacking midfielders who progress the ball up the pitch, they're not really forwards that absolutely need to score. If they played here, they would play a hybrid role like it seems Carvalho will. They're both pretty decent young players.