You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Hope this doesn't mean we see a regression of Harvey's creative instincts. I'm not sure Klopp's work with Jones has had a positive impact overall. At least it's too early to say yet. He's been too disciplined, clearly been told to keep things simple. Hopefully it'll just be a case of uncoiling his natural game again when the time comes, now the maturity is in place when required. Perhaps it was more a case of what we needed from him at the time, but I'd certainly like to see him flourish a little more in the coming season. 

This is a really interesting point.

It does seem that Klopp values creativity less in a midfield player than he does discipline, at least relative to other managers. We've seen it a lot where a player who was heralded as a creative attacking player (Gini, Keita, Coutinho) for other managers or their national sides, and they come under Klopp and he either moves them up front or asks them to play in a more disciplined fashion. The goals tend to come from the forward players exclusively and the midfielders are just supposed to stop the opposition and then get those three the ball.

It's not as simple as that, obviously, but it has to be said you watch someone like Gini play for Holland and it's like a completely different player. It will be interesting to see what happens with both Curtis and Harvey as they're similarly capable of genius, but only if the manager allows them the freedom to play in a more risky fashion than he has in the past.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looked great yesterday. Grew into the game, popped up on both sides and the middle towards the end of the game. The pass for the offside goal was really well executed.  

I'm pleased he's got lads like Hendo, Mo and Milner around him. Absolute professionals who can guide him. Not to mentioned the likes of Thiagi who's won everything there is to win in the game. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Looked great yesterday. Grew into the game, popped up on both sides and the middle towards the end of the game. The pass for the offside goal was really well executed.  

I'm pleased he's got lads like Hendo, Mo and Milner around him. Absolute professionals who can guide him. Not to mentioned the likes of Thiagi who's won everything there is to win in the game. 

Yep, but at the moment he still needs that guidance. If he continues to improve at the same pace he could be challenging for a starting role later in the season. It’d be interesting to see us play the old 4-2-3-1 with him in the 3 somewhere against shit teams at home.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rubble-rouser said:

Yep, but at the moment he still needs that guidance. If he continues to improve at the same pace he could be challenging for a starting role later in the season. It’d be interesting to see us play the old 4-2-3-1 with him in the 3 somewhere against shit teams at home.

I don't think that formation was very far off a 4231 yesterday. Keita while left sat deeper than Elliot I thought (would be interesting to see heat maps) and while he works really hard, Jota works more forward areas than we would normally see firmino, which allowed Elliot some space to operate in. 

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think that formation was very far off a 4231 yesterday. Keita while left sat deeper than Elliot I thought (would be interesting to see hear maps) and while he works really hard, Jota works more forward areas than we would normally see firmino, which allowed Elliot some space to operate in. 

Yeah, especially second half he was basically playing right wing.

He’s obviously good on the ball, but as a skinny kid he’s going to need to learn how to use skill over physicality to get on the ball if he’s playing in midfield.

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think that formation was very far off a 4231 yesterday. Keita while left sat deeper than Elliot I thought (would be interesting to see hear maps) and while he works really hard, Jota works more forward areas than we would normally see firmino, which allowed Elliot some space to operate in. 

About 12:30 in they have all his touches plotted.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah, especially second half he was basically playing right wing.

He’s obviously good on the ball, but as a skinny kid he’s going to need to learn how to use skill over physicality to get on the ball if he’s playing in midfield.

I thought he stood up to them quite well yesterday, there was maybe 3 very heavy challenges on him in the game and he brushed himself down and got on. When you can't win the physical fight, you maybe just have to win the free kick and be ok with being kicked.  I thought he did that well yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I thought that’s what it actually was at first. It was very fluid. The problem being that the full backs were much more exposed than normal which allowed them to get in behind and play little balls round the corner for their strikers. Fortunately we caught them offside a lot, but it’s something other teams will look to do. 

on a separate note, does anyone know why there were so many empty seats yesterday? I’m in the upper Kenny so could see a lot of spaces in hospitality  and the middle tier. Are we that reliant on foreign packages and that reluctant to sell tickets separately?

5 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

I thought that’s what it actually was at first. It was very fluid. The problem being that the full backs were much more exposed than normal which allowed them to get in behind and play little balls round the corner for their strikers. Fortunately we caught them offside a lot, but it’s something other teams will look to do. 

on a separate note, does anyone know why there were so many empty seats yesterday? I’m in the upper Kenny so could see a lot of spaces in hospitality  and the middle tier. Are we that reliant on foreign packages and that reluctant to sell tickets separately?

If that had been Chelsea I don't think Elliot would have played. We'll be tighter next week without a doubt. If fabinho hasn't gone back to Brazil, I would expect him to okay and Henderson to play that right 8 slot. 

As for the seats, we sell loads of our hospitality tickets to fans on a match by match basis. I don't know how easy it is to travel from Ireland, but I think we sell a large percentage to them. On top of this, the real corporates haven't all kicked all this type of thing back in yet, so I'm sure that has played a part too. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

If that had been Chelsea I don't think Elliot would have played. We'll be tighter next week without a doubt. If fabinho hasn't gone back to Brazil, I would expect him to okay and Henderson to play that right 8 slot. 

As for the seats, we sell loads of our hospitality tickets to fans on a match by match basis. I don't know how easy it is to travel from Ireland, but I think we sell a large percentage to them. On top of this, the real corporates haven't all kicked all this type of thing back in yet, so I'm sure that has played a part too. 

Big match beauts.

43 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wasnt that impressed myself,but I realise it was all part of a learning process and if he's good enough he will succeed. A good move to get him used to the pace of the PL and the appalling refereeing that comes with it. Onwards and upwards for him,most likely.

I wasn’t sure that Klopp’s comments about wrestling were properly directed. While Jota was assaulted a couple of times, the multiple reducers on Elliot were the real issue for me.

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Fully agree. I think he'll probably get 10-15 starts this season and a lot of sub appearances. Wouldn't be surprised to mostly see him against the 10-0-0 clubs to try to break them down. 

Towards the end of he match he looked like he was "in the hole" so it gives us another option.