You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

22 hours ago, sir roger said:

There aren't many Stevies are there ? but Elliott is still younger than Stevie was when he made his debut so I think we need to wait and see for a little bit yet.

Stevie, TAA, and Curtis Jones to an extent, seem to have raised expectattions of what young players should be capable of. Another loan for Elliott makes sense - he can make his mistakes and be adventurous, without the pressure of playing for Liverpool. Maybe somewhere like, Norwich, Brighton, or Everton, where survival and top-half are the only real expectations.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Stevie, TAA, and Curtis Jones to an extent, seem to have raised expectattions of what young players should be capable of. Another loan for Elliott makes sense - he can make his mistakes and be adventurous, without the pressure of playing for Liverpool. Maybe somewhere like, Norwich, Brighton, or Everton, where survival and top-half are the only real expectations.

Probably more likely to be at a Championship club,I would guess? Will help him learn the physical side and get stronger too. If he can cope with that it will be pimps in the PL,

If Blackburn owned him and he produced the numbers he did for a relatively shit side, then he would be signed this summer for 20m+ by a top 6 side. He is just short of a goal or assist every 2 games, that is phenomenal contribution for someone so young.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Probably more likely to be at a Championship club,I would guess? Will help him learn the physical side and get stronger too. If he can cope with that it will be pimps in the PL,

Why would we send him to the Championship twice? If we do that, it's the indication we don't rate him.

Either keep him and treat him like Jones two seasons ago or send him to a Premier League team that tries to play good football.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why would we send him to the Championship twice? If we do that, it's the indication we don't rate him.

Either keep him and treat him like Jones two seasons ago or send him to a Premier League team that tries to play good football.

If Klopp decides he still isnt quite ready then a Championship side might be where he goes again. It has nothing to do with not rating him,as Scott says,our first team squad is much better now than it's been for years so he still may not be considered ready just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

So, since it's seeming more and more likely that we're keeping Elliott this season for the squad, I was watching back his games from last preseason and it occurs to me, especially the way that Klopp describes him, that there is a reason he's not getting played up front - it's because Klopp doesn't see him as a forward.

If you watch him play, the times he's played for us in preseason, it's always in midfield. An attacking midfielder, to be certain, but not anything like Mane or Salah, despite where and how he played for Blackburn (which was flexible, but most of the highlights I saw he seemed to be more out wide).

It's got me thinking - it makes a lot of sense, actually. Athletically, Harvey is never going to be as quick as those two over 30 yards, but he does have quality on the ball and sees the pitch really well. So it makes lots more sense to see him more as a Thiago-type than a Salah-type. Once I started down the road of the Thiago comparison the parallels jumped out at me more and more. He has that same ability to see things just a bit quicker than others, and to make a very difficult pass look easy. Now, he isn't nearly as capable as Thiago at this point, obviously, but I just wonder if Klopp might be thinking of turning him into that type of player. Or a David Silva, could be an even better comparison.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

So, since it's seeming more and more likely that we're keeping Elliott this season for the squad, I was watching back his games from last preseason and it occurs to me, especially the way that Klopp describes him, that there is a reason he's not getting played up front - it's because Klopp doesn't see him as a forward.

If you watch him play, the times he's played for us in preseason, it's always in midfield. An attacking midfielder, to be certain, but not anything like Mane or Salah, despite where and how he played for Blackburn (which was flexible, but most of the highlights I saw he seemed to be more out wide).

It's got me thinking - it makes a lot of sense, actually. Athletically, Harvey is never going to be as quick as those two over 30 yards, but he does have quality on the ball and sees the pitch really well. So it makes lots more sense to see him more as a Thiago-type than a Salah-type. Once I started down the road of the Thiago comparison the parallels jumped out at me more and more. He has that same ability to see things just a bit quicker than others, and to make a very difficult pass look easy. Now, he isn't nearly as capable as Thiago at this point, obviously, but I just wonder if Klopp might be thinking of turning him into that type of player. Or a David Silva, could be an even better comparison.

Yeah, it's been interesting. He's been played in the midfield 3 with a lot of the first team players thus far which you'd think indicates he'll be a legit option to start this season or at least a utilized member of the squad.

Klopp seems to view him as a CM, which makes sense as one of his best skills seems to be playing progressive passes. He'd be doing less of that if he was a forward. He's also a more legit option there than Shaqiri because he's got better workrate. We could play a 4-2-1-3 with him potentially.

On 13/07/2021 at 22:51, No2 said:

If Blackburn owned him and he produced the numbers he did for a relatively shit side, then he would be signed this summer for 20m+ by a top 6 side. He is just short of a goal or assist every 2 games, that is phenomenal contribution for someone so young.

Signing him now for a massive transfer fee would at least have made a few people on here happy.

In stead we signed him on the cheap at a young age, goes to show how fucked up our transfer business is.

2 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Save millions? We’ll make millions when we sell Shaq and replace him with Elliott. Which is the entire point of signing top prospects at the age of 15/16.

This is one of the things that separate us from proper run clubs like Everton. They sign players for the sake of it. Bossing every transfer window, unlike the clowns in charge at our club, that keep making money from squad players and are frequently reluctant of slapping the money on the table.

On 13/07/2021 at 04:52, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Everton? Rafa will send him back to us as a right back!

On 31/07/2021 at 18:05, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, it's been interesting. He's been played in the midfield 3 with a lot of the first team players thus far which you'd think indicates he'll be a legit option to start this season or at least a utilized member of the squad.

Klopp seems to view him as a CM, which makes sense as one of his best skills seems to be playing progressive passes. He'd be doing less of that if he was a forward. He's also a more legit option there than Shaqiri because he's got better workrate. We could play a 4-2-1-3 with him potentially.

Hope this doesn't mean we see a regression of Harvey's creative instincts. I'm not sure Klopp's work with Jones has had a positive impact overall. At least it's too early to say yet. He's been too disciplined, clearly been told to keep things simple. Hopefully it'll just be a case of uncoiling his natural game again when the time comes, now the maturity is in place when required. Perhaps it was more a case of what we needed from him at the time, but I'd certainly like to see him flourish a little more in the coming season. 

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

Hope this doesn't mean we see a regression of Harvey's creative instincts. I'm not sure Klopp's work with Jones has had a positive impact overall. At least it's too early to say yet. He's been too disciplined, clearly been told to keep things simple. Hopefully it'll just be a case of uncoiling his natural game again when the time comes, now the maturity is in place when required. Perhaps it was more a case of what we needed from him at the time, but I'd certainly like to see him flourish a little more in the coming season. 

Nowadays, you're pretty much either a forward or a midfielder. #10's are less of a thing. What Klopp's done with Jones is tried to make him more complete as a midfielder because he likely isn't going to be a forward and score a bunch of goals.

I think Elliott is the same. He looks like he has the skills to progress the ball and pass it through the lines, so the more logical thing is playing him deeper.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nowadays, you're pretty much either a forward or a midfielder. #10's are less of a thing. What Klopp's done with Jones is tried to make him more complete as a midfielder because he likely isn't going to be a forward and score a bunch of goals.

I think Elliott is the same. He looks like he has the skills to progress the ball and pass it through the lines, so the more logical thing is playing him deeper.

I dunno, I kinda see Jones' best position as doing a bit of what Bobby does rather than him just slotting into a midfield 3. A bit like Foden for City too. I agree Klopp has improved him in the manner you're talking about, I'm just not sure it's for the best. I think you lose a lot of what makes Jones potentially so special. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chris said:

I dunno, I kinda see Jones' best position as doing a bit of what Bobby does rather than him just slotting into a midfield 3. A bit like Foden for City too. I agree Klopp has improved him in the manner you're talking about, I'm just not sure it's for the best. I think you lose a lot of what makes Jones potentially so special. 

I think Klopp disagrees with that.