You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

He played 31 times for us in the season where at the end of it he turned 20.

He also made 13 appearances the one before where at end of it he turned 19.

I always think the narrative around him and being held back/injured etc is a bit overplayed.

He of course them went on to be playing 50 games a season before he was 21.

I think he was in and out a bit with his physical development. He mentions that himself in his book. He still played regularly though. 

The Houllier looking after him isn’t right in that respect though. He had him and Owen playing whenever he could mostly.

1 hour ago, belarus said:

I think he was in and out a bit with his physical development. He mentions that himself in his book. He still played regularly though. 

The Houllier looking after him isn’t right in that respect though. He had him and Owen playing whenever he could mostly.

Yeah

19 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Do you think they're that bright? I reckon they just must be thick as shit and they can't think of anything else to write. 

Initially that was the case. Now I think they're doing it deliberately. I mean come on, they had something the other day about "how Benitez decision can help LFC sign Mbappe" and it was something about them selling Moise Kean to PSG. That's got to be a massive troll job, surely?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Initially that was the case. Now I think they're doing it deliberately. I mean come on, they had something the other day about "how Benitez decision can help LFC sign Mbappe" and it was something about them selling Moise Kean to PSG. That's got to be a massive troll job, surely?

It's just all for the clicks Dave. They use chartbeat to see how things trend. There's obsessed with articles which 'do well' rather than articles which actually have any journalistic value. 

If loads of people have clicked on articles like these, even if it was to share them and slag the story off, it wouldn't matter, a bat signal would have sounded somewhere saying 'must do more'. 

It's tragic. Time was the back page of the echo was where you'd go to first for transfer news, not now. They'll never be first with a story like that again, all they do is react quickly when someone else reports it to capitalise on the fact people are searching for news about it in that moment.

If Liverpool signed Mbappe, the Echo would have no inkling until the Beeb, say, reported it, nor would they care. But what they'd then do is send whatsapps out to the winged monkeys to write a dozen stories with Mbappe in the web headline. 'his 10 best goals', 'his famous friends' etc. It's fall of Rome stuff.

• Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So is Elliot the latest superstar in the making that all of LFC's future hopes hang upon, much like Woodburn, Brewster and Wilson?

Or Owen, Fowler, Sterling, Gerrard, Carragher or Trent? 

Nobody knows how Elliot will turn out, why don’t we support him and see if can reach those levels instead of making snide & tiresome comments of failed youngsters? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Nobody knows how Elliot will turn out, why don’t we support him and see if can reach those levels instead of making snide & tiresome comments of failed youngsters? 

Yep. Also think, Alexander-Arnold aside, he’s fairly obviously the young player with the most potential we’ve had since Sterling.

On 10/07/2021 at 09:58, belarus said:

Not sure I agree with all of that mate. Houllier played him when he was fit and available. His time spent out was when he was having those growing pains as mentioned, but he also suffered a lot of muscle injuries in those early days. His first season where he was introduced to the first team aside, he was a 30 gamer there or there about every year, starting most games.

Gerrard recognised Houllier's guidance at the beginning of his career but you are probably right that he played a bit more than sticks in my head looking back now.

• Upvote 1

On 10/07/2021 at 12:10, dave u said:

Nah, they just need to write shit, they don't want to write anything quality writing, it's all how can we spin any incident in world football to be something about LFC. 

22 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Wow. Where do you start?

All the above are NOTHING LIKE Elliott.

They all went straight into the first team because they were deemed good enough. They didn't go out on loan or learn their trade first, they were considered good enough to start matches. Massive difference.

I have nothing against Eliott, if they want to give him the time to grow great, but our local journos need to wind their necks in a little and stop pushing superstardom on him. Thats what I'm talking about.

53 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Wow. Where do you start?

All the above are NOTHING LIKE Elliott.

They all went straight into the first team because they were deemed good enough. They didn't go out on loan or learn their trade first, they were considered good enough to start matches. Massive difference.

I have nothing against Eliott, if they want to give him the time to grow great, but our local journos need to wind their necks in a little and stop pushing superstardom on him. Thats what I'm talking about.

So the only difference is he’s gone out on loan?

Ignoring the fact that the other players came in to the first team squad out of necessity and took their chance and that Elliot’s chances were limited with us because we’re currently one of the best teams in the world and it’d be beneficial to get first team experience elsewhere?

Also, he only turned 18 in April. 

If you have an issue with the local journalists, why don’t you drop them an email instead with your thoughts instead of continually posting in here your endless, uneducated, clueless, garbage. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

There aren't many Stevies are there ? but Elliott is still younger than Stevie was when he made his debut so I think we need to wait and see for a little bit yet.

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Which is probably why he went on loan.

If only others had the ability to think…

So the only difference is he’s gone out on loan?

Ignoring the fact that the other players came in to the first team squad out of necessity and took their chance and that Elliot’s chances were limited with us because we’re currently one of the best teams in the world and it’d be beneficial to get first team experience elsewhere?

Also, he only turned 18 in April. 

If you have an issue with the local journalists, why don’t you drop them an email instead with your thoughts instead of continually posting in here your endless, uneducated, clueless, garbage. 

No the difference is when he has played in the first team, he hasn't been deemed good enough to find a spot, even from the bench, hence his education.

Owen and fowler scored goals from the get go, Gerrard looked like a player mature in years, Carragher was a solid player again looking like he had years on his age. Sterling was scoring and assisting with the best of them.

All of them completely unlike Elliot. But don't let that get in the way of an argument.

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

No the difference is when he has played in the first team, he hasn't been deemed good enough to find a spot, even from the bench, hence his education.

Owen and fowler scored goals from the get go, Gerrard looked like a player mature in years, Carragher was a solid player again looking like he had years on his age. Sterling was scoring and assisting with the best of them.

All of them completely unlike Elliot. But don't let that get in the way of an argument.

You really are very stupid.

Read my post prop-er-ly on why Owen & Fowler etc likely started in the first team before Elliot and then consider the state of the first team when Owen & Fowler etc came into the side and think about the quality of the first team now. 

Two other posters also make the same point as I have. 

Also, at the start of last season, Elliot had only just turned 17. He has now only just turned 18. 

It really is very simples.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Read my post prop-er-ly on why Owen & Fowler etc likely started in the first team before Elliot and then consider the state of the first team when Owen & Fowler etc came into the side and think about the quality of the first team now. 

Also, at the start of last season, Elliot had only just turned 17. He has now only just turned 18. 

Scotty, you're getting riled again, just remember when arguing with the likes of Beefy, "you can't teach stupid".

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

Scotty, you're getting riled again, just remember when arguing with the likes of Beefy, "you can't teach stupid".

You are both talking out of your arses as usual.

Sure lets go with the fairy story that the reason those players got into the side were because of circumstance and not ability, maturity and confidence.

15 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You are both talking out of your arses as usual.

Sure lets go with the fairy story that the reason those players got into the side were because of circumstance and not ability, maturity and confidence.

0CAA2671-74B8-419E-B2F7-893FB10FA7BE.gif

Thise players were required to step up because of holes in the first team. They got their opportunity and took it. 

Elliot hasn’t got that same chance because -

1) He’s younger than them.

2) The first team squad is significantly better. 

Who knows if Elliot would have started under Souness or Evans or Houllier or Rodgers. Given the state of some of those sides, it’s not inconceivable.

But this is the key point - the bar to first team is higher today than it’s ever been. Elliot, at 17, has gone on loan to get the experience required to break into the first team. 

If you can’t understand the above, I genuinely don’t know what else to say.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Scott_M said:

0CAA2671-74B8-419E-B2F7-893FB10FA7BE.gif

Thise players were required to step up because of holes in the first team. They got their opportunity and took it. 

Elliot hasn’t got that same chance because -

1) He’s younger than them.

2) The first team squad is significantly better. 

Who knows if Elliot would have started under Souness or Evans or Houllier or Rodgers. Given the state of some of those sides, it’s not inconceivable.

But this is the key point - the bar to first team is higher today than it’s ever been. Elliot, at 17, has gone on loan to get the experience required to break into the first team. 

If you can’t understand the above, I genuinely don’t know what else to say.

I am confident you will find something.

• Upvote 2