You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

And the echo doesn't even mention how many millions he'll save us

Liverpool youngster Harvey Elliott signs new long-term contract

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harvey-elliott-liverpool-contract-breaking-21012028#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

Get the fuck in. It didn't take the echo long. Elliot to save us 70m 

Liverpool cut out the middle man to save £70m in the transfer market

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harvey-elliott-could-save-liverpool-20719089#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Get the fuck in. It didn't take the echo long. Elliot to save us 70m 

Liverpool cut out the middle man to save £70m in the transfer market

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harvey-elliott-could-save-liverpool-20719089#ICID=Android_LFCEchoNewsApp_AppShare

They're defo trolling everyone now. They'll find a way to link it to an Mbappe bid next.

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I sincerely hope he’s as good the hype and he does save us £70m. 

Hopefully more. 

Feels like he's gonna be a good Pro but this isn't some Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney kind of player he isn't going to be a star but by all accounts he's the potential to be a really good player.. if like Henderson he puts the work in and football is everything not like Pogba type pricks where pogba is everything and they forget what it was that made them love the sport so much they became elite enough to reach this level. I've probably just heard to much hype over the years at our club for players who just vanished.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Feels like he's gonna be a good Pro but this isn't some Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney kind of player he isn't going to be a star but by all accounts he's the potential to be a really good player.. if like Henderson he puts the work in and football is everything not like Pogba type pricks where pogba is everything and they forget what it was that made them love the sport so much they became elite enough to reach this level. I've probably just heard to much hype over the years at our club for players who just vanished.

If he shows a really high level with us this season he'd be on track with the Wayne Rooney type wunderkinds. He's only 18. 

10 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think it’s harsh comparing him to Owen & Rooney. They were both phenomenon’s & international quality by the time they were 16. Completely out the ordinary.

History has much more players like Gerrard, Carra, Trent & Jone who made their debuts at 18 / 19 and then kicked on. 

If Elliot can match any Gerrard, Carra or Trents careers (Trent has lots to come & Jones is TBC) then we’d all be delighted. 

I realise matching those 3 is still an immensely tall order.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think it’s harsh comparing him to Owen & Rooney. They were both phenomenon’s & international quality by the time they were 16. Completely out the ordinary.

History has much more players like Gerrard, Carra, Trent & Jone who made their debuts at 18 / 19 and then kicked on. 

If Elliot can match any Gerrard, Carra or Trents careers (Trent has lots to come & Jones is TBC) then we’d all be delighted. 

Putting Gerrard in with those others is off kilter. Trent may get towards or hit the levels Gerrard did, but there’s 10 solid top level years to get though first. There was loads of expectation on him as well - they were comparing him to Keane and vieira when he was a teenager. Absolutely doesn’t belong in that group

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I'm not comparing to him to Owen or Rooney I literally said this isn't some Owen or Rooney. He doesn't have to be either, Gerrard wasn't impactful as Owen or Rooney as young but he was a superior player to both, the most all round complete package this country has produced.

No take backs.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, belarus said:

Putting Gerrard in with those others is off kilter. Trent may get towards or hit the levels Gerrard did, but there’s 10 solid top level years to get though first. There was loads of expectation on him as well - they were comparing him to Keane and vieira when he was a teenager. Absolutely doesn’t belong in that group

Maybe you’re right. I can’t fully remember. I just remember him having growing pains and a growth spurt and they were holding him back for a period. 

28 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Maybe you’re right. I can’t fully remember. I just remember him having growing pains and a growth spurt and they were holding him back for a period. 

Gerrard did have his injury problems as a youngster and he was deliberately held back a bit as he lacked quite a bit of discipline to go with his talent too. But Houllier played a blinder with Gerrard by both surrounding him with experienced players to learn from such as Hamann and Gary Mac and not bowing to the pressure of overplaying him as a youngster,which occurs a lot with talented young players. 

56 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Gerrard did have his injury problems as a youngster and he was deliberately held back a bit as he lacked quite a bit of discipline to go with his talent too. But Houllier played a blinder with Gerrard by both surrounding him with experienced players to learn from such as Hamann and Gary Mac and not bowing to the pressure of overplaying him as a youngster,which occurs a lot with talented young players. 

Not sure I agree with all of that mate. Houllier played him when he was fit and available. His time spent out was when he was having those growing pains as mentioned, but he also suffered a lot of muscle injuries in those early days. His first season where he was introduced to the first team aside, he was a 30 gamer there or there about every year, starting most games.

If you are good enough, you are old enough.

For example Emile Heskey was scoring goals in the top flight at 18....he was no 'superstar' though....OK there are plenty of examples of players who have good and even great careers who aren't doing it at such a young age, but for me if this lad is going to be a star then the next two years you'd like to think we see green shoots and who knows maybe he can be close to doing an Owen or a Rooney.

Getting the game time is going to be difficult though with us.

9 minutes ago, belarus said:

Not sure I agree with all of that mate. Houllier played him when he was fit and available. His time spent out was when he was having those growing pains as mentioned, but he also suffered a lot of muscle injuries in those early days. His first season where he was introduced to the first team aside, he was a 30 gamer there or there about every year, starting most games.

He played 31 times for us in the season where at the end of it he turned 20.

He also made 13 appearances the one before where at end of it he turned 19.

I always think the narrative around him and being held back/injured etc is a bit overplayed.

He of course them went on to be playing 50 games a season before he was 21.