You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FIFA Club World Cup 2019

Davelfc

6 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Have a heart kid. How do you think that will feel to manc fans? Or the ‘blue boys?’ Before Christmas as well? 

*shakes head*

“Liverpool the European ...and now world champions to kick off here ”

Evertonians would buzz off getting a draw against the European and World champions.

Really should be pulling out of this with a simple statement about not wanting to endanger our staff by sending them to a country where it's illegal to be gay. 

Good luck using man city as a publicity stunt when Liverpool have told the world what it's really like over there.   Media couldn't even think about touching us either. 

Won't happen though,  money is more important than anything to the cunts that run clubs and the game in general. 

We'd only play 2 games at this World Championship. That would be semi and final or semi and 3rd place.

Ive seen elsewhere some say concentrate on winning the 2 domestic cups instead. But to win the EFL cup we'd have to play another 4 games and worse case scenario is you'd have 3 periods of extra time ie Villa, one semi and final.

In the FA Cup we'd have to play 6 times to win it. Worse case scenario is a replay in 3rd and \ or 4th round with potentially extra time in any of the remaining ties as there are no replays from and including the 5th round.

That's a minimum 10 extra games excluding any replays and or extra time. There's no gaurantees in winning any competition but I think being World Champions would be massive for the club.

• Upvote 2

The competition is a joke and has absolutely no standing of any note at all with the top European clubs.

Were the last few editions even televised here?

It's a FIFA money comp that carries less prestige here than any of our domestic trophies.

It is also likely to have a negative impact on our real business - 1. It means our rivals will gain a game on us and potentially close up on any gap (pts on board is better than games in hand) 2. It adds more fixtures at a really busy and vital time.

I'm all for us winning things of course - we haven't won anywhere near enough for too long - but this to me is barely as prestigious as the charity shield or the super cup, and the timing of it is fucking lousy.

7 hours ago, an tha said:

The competition is a joke and has absolutely no standing of any note at all with the top European clubs.

It's a FIFA money comp that carries less prestige here than any of our domestic trophies.

It is also likely to have a negative impact on our real business - 1. It means our rivals will gain a game on us and potentially close up on any gap (pts on board is better than games in hand) 2. It adds more fixtures at a really busy and vital time.

I'm all for us winning things of course - we haven't won anywhere near enough for too long - but this to me is barely as prestigious as the charity shield or the super cup, and the timing of it is fucking lousy.

We have lost this competition on a number of occasions and need to win it. You have to be 'European Champions' to enter, so it is important.

10 hours ago, an tha said:

I don't agree at all. I would say this trophy is seen as more important in all other countries than domestic cups. And clearly the club agree, because they want the marketing opportunity of this cup way more than winning the milk cup. This cup wouldn't be a "FIFA money comp" if it carried no value, as it would have no TV revenues and no sponsorship. 

15 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

We'd only play 2 games at this World Championship. That would be semi and final or semi and 3rd place.

Ive seen elsewhere some say concentrate on winning the 2 domestic cups instead. But to win the EFL cup we'd have to play another 4 games and worse case scenario is you'd have 3 periods of extra time ie Villa, one semi and final.

In the FA Cup we'd have to play 6 times to win it. Worse case scenario is a replay in 3rd and \ or 4th round with potentially extra time in any of the remaining ties as there are no replays from and including the 5th round.

That's a minimum 10 extra games excluding any replays and or extra time. There's no gaurantees in winning any competition but I think being World Champions would be massive for the club.

We'll use our 1st team in this competition. As we declared before the season started we'll use out kids in the domestic cups. We've put our teams to try and get knocked out of the domestic cups, so you can see where the club value them. I don't think the domestic cups will be a distraction to anyone but the coaching and analysis teams, because we won't be using the same players and just helping ourselves giving game time to the fringe players. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We have lost this competition on a number of occasions and need to win it. You have to be 'European Champions' to enter, so it is important.

You have to be European Champions to enter the Super Cup....

For me these comps where you play 1 or 2 in this comps case games are just meaningless - and this one comes at a lousy time for us.

But to each their own and all that!

On 17/09/2019 at 13:01, TheRedMachine said:

No one thought the European cup meant anything when Real Madrid created it so they could win the first seven or whatever. In decades to come this one will seem every bit as important. Because FIFA will never stop promoting it. 

Let's win the fucker.

This point gets overlooked, especially with the format of the competition being changed in 2021 to include more teams, there's a possibility that this trophy could eventually become massive, and this is literally our best chance to win the thing. 

On 14/11/2019 at 16:38, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

If we manage to win this thing then Freddie Mercury should be singing loud and proud every time we play at Anfield. Imagine the fume, it would be delicious. Might look at 'We Are The Champions' as a ringtone.

The first home game after is on Sky Sports. I'm sure George can find a good slot for it.

Whether or not this cup goes on to become massive, which given FIFA's plans for it I think it will, we should go out to win it. It's two extra games. I understand the logic of not going for it but we're already doing our best to fuck off the league cup and we'll likely do the same for the FA cup. I think the first team can afford the two extra games. The way I see it, if last season had gone our way in the league we'd all be fine with it.

I really want us to win this. We have never won it and got embarrassed when we were the best side on the planet in the 81 by Flamengo. It means a lot more to the other continents sides to win so they will be right up for it. Plus if we win it we can wind the blues up even more by telling them we are World Champions. 

• Upvote 7

Guest Pistonbroke
On 17/11/2019 at 22:03, Barry Wom said:

Let's twat these cunts. 

I hope River Plate twat them. Rather we played them than be reminded of that defeat years ago against Flamengo. Plus our game would probably be more suited to an Argentinian style of play which River Plate would adopt imo. 

52 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I hope River Plate twat them. Rather we played them than be reminded of that defeat years ago against Flamengo. Plus our game would probably be more suited to an Argentinian style of play which River Plate would adopt imo. 

Agree. They seem to think they've already won both trophies already for some reason. Hopefully they are as fragile mentally as the national team.

The Gremio chairman even said Liverpool were not an elite team then they got twatted in the semi 5-0 by Flamengo.