You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FIFA Club World Cup 2019

Davelfc

34 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Negged for dismissing the chance of winning a trophy we haven't won before and can only win if European Champions. This is a major trophy for us until we've won it.

Totally agree. It's a trophy we've never won and I badly want that World Champions badge on our sleeves.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been having a mooch looking into this, and the changes in 2021.

Apparently when it changes it'll go to 24 teams, and it will be held once every 4 years. Played between June-July instead of the confederations Cup. 

The qualifying teams will be the winners of the previous 4 European cups, last 4 europa, and last 4 copa libertadores. And the other teams making up the rest. 

Seems like we've already qualified for it, but apparently European teams might decide to boycott the whole thing anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Given our season to date, I don’t think we should take any unnecessary chances with this competition unless our lead in the table has dramatically increased or gone completely. It would be nice to win, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s more League Cup than Champions League.

This. Send the kids instead!

I've said that since the start of the year. 

We have a chance to give the main guys a 10 day break before a busy Christmas period. I wouldn't be giving Salah, VVD, Mane or Bobby more than 30 mins in the final at the very most. 

Its a couple of ganes for Brewster, Irigi, Shaqiri and the likes of Ox, Keita etc. Let them before and push for games over Xmas. 

Wouldn't be shocked if Shaqiri left in January to be honest. He's not getting any time at all. Might ha e to wait till summer though 

• Upvote 1

River Plate should hold on to beat Boca with their 2 goal lead. 

Gremio and Flamengo are 1-1 after the first leg. Out of all of them I'd prefer River as they are my favourite Argentine team. 

Second legs are in 2 weeks time. The final is in Santiago on November 23rd.

Flamengo fans still go on about the 3-0 game from 1981. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

River Plate should hold on to beat Boca with their 2 goal lead. 

Gremio and Flamengo are 1-1 after the first leg. Out of all of them I'd prefer River as they are my favourite Argentine team. 

Second legs are in 2 weeks time. The final is in Santiago on November 23rd.

Flamengo fans still go on about the 3-0 game from 1981. 

Maybe if we play Flamengo we will actually be arsed this time.

On 17/09/2019 at 12:24, sir roger said:

I can’t believe how blasé people are about winning trophies. 

It's mainly Grinch who doesn't want us to compete for trophies.

The U23s would be run into the ground, playing in everything except the league, if that miserable defeatist nob had his way.

13 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's mainly Grinch who doesn't want us to compete for trophies.

The U23s would be run into the ground, playing in everything except the league, if that miserable defeatist nob had his way.

Meanwhile in the real world, there a lot more than me that realises we won't be competing for every trophy,  including our manager. 

£ will force him into risking big players in this piece of shit though. 

• Downvote 1

So it's only two games, and the first one should be easy enough?

Hopefully we can bring a big enough squad that we can practically play a different XI in both and still win it.

I reckon it will mean more to Jurgen than either of the domestic cups.

31 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

So it's only two games, and the first one should be easy enough?

Hopefully we can bring a big enough squad that we can practically play a different XI in both and still win it.

The regulations say “20 outfielders and 3 keepers”.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Does to me I'm afraid , I've seen us lose all three finals so I want us to win it

Plus I'm still buzzing when opposition managers and commentators call us "the European Champions" so being called "World Champions" would be like Christmas coming early  

• Upvote 7

The first game should be fine and the squad can play.

The final is a different story:

Head - I really don't want our best players getting the shit kicked out of them.  The league is the priority and I think we would be mad to risk our top players in this cup.

Heart - World champs, warm winter break, it's only really one game - let's win all 6 trophies and win a cup we have never won before.

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

Meanwhile in the real world, there a lot more than me that realises we won't be competing for every trophy,  including our manager. 

£ will force him into risking big players in this piece of shit though. 

To be fair, regarding the money issue the club apparently asked in the summer if we had to send a first-choice squad. So hopefully it’ll be akin to the side that beat MK Dons with, perhaps, a couple more first choice players available from the bench.