You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

8 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Staying at my wife’s relatives place in Devon tonight. The husband is a big Leeds fan, so I watched the game with him this evening. Ben White looked good but wasn’t really tested much. Reading spent all game defending, Leeds had all the ball and most of the time they didn’t really know what to do with it. One player who really impressed me was their DM; Kalvin Phillips. He looked quality. Looked real strong defensively, as well as a good passer of the ball, spraying the ball about from deep. One to keep an eye on.

Scum are linked with Phillips

33 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Sancho is starting to get a bad reputation for his behaviour. I don't think we'll be in for him. Maybe premature but if we're signing a teenager for huge money, I think I'd rather Haaland. Even with Sancho producing in a big league and being more proven. I'm getting #badvibes from him.

I've not seen much of Haaland apart from the game against us which he briefly played, I thought he was more of an old school no9?

13 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've not seen much of Haaland apart from the game against us which he briefly played, I thought he was more of an old school no9?

He is and I'm not gonna pretend like I've seen loads of him either, but I think he's talented enough that he'd be a good change of pace to our current tactic. You can't teach his size, power and speed. He's huuuge and he's a killer in front of goal. You don't bury teams in the Champions League at his age like he's done and not have something special.

Salzburg are also not dissimilar tactically to what Klopp preaches.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He is and I'm not gonna pretend like I've seen loads of him either, but I think he's talented enough that he'd be a good change of pace to our current tactic. You can't teach his size, power and speed. He's huuuge and he's a killer in front of goal. You don't bury teams in the Champions League at his age like he's done and not have something special.

Salzburg are also not dissimilar tactically to what Klopp preaches.

Yeah he's been pretty sensational for such a young lad, not sure what Salzburgs finances are like but imagine they are fairly comfortable due to the Red Bull affiliation but then again I know fuck all about how that works. Do they own the teams, in partnership with or just having naming rights etc?

Just now, Funkasy said:

Firmino has tried up lately with the goals, so it would be brilliant to have another option when hes having off games, but Origi could be used more to i guess.

I reckon give him a run as a no 10 behind Salah... With Shaq on the right.

1 minute ago, Funkasy said:

Firmino has dried up lately with the goals, so it would be brilliant to have another option when hes having off games, but Origi could be used more to i guess.

Yeah, he needs get back on it. I fully understand what he contributes to the team as an whole but you really need your forwards chipping in. Maybe bang him a 50k goal bonus, seemed to work last time.

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah he's been pretty sensational for such a young lad, not sure what Salzburgs finances are like but imagine they are fairly comfortable due to the Red Bull affiliation but then again I know fuck all about how that works. Do they own the teams, in partnership with or just having naming rights etc?

They'll definitely sell him soon even if they're comfortable financially. Due to playing in a weak league, they're a stepping stone club. I just hope he doesn't go to Leipzig. Or United.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

They'll definitely sell him soon even if they're comfortable financially. Due to playing in a weak league, they're a stepping stone club. I just hope he doesn't go to Leipzig. Or United.

Yeah I get that, can see the Mancs going big on him of they can't get kane.

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Red Bull own the teams, so not short of a penny. The asking price for Haaland is going to be upward of £50m. I see some of the tabloids quoting £75m, which is a little far fetched in my opinion.

The lad's a unit and a promising talent, but you have to put his incredible season so far into context. He's playing for the best side in a weaker league. I don't doubt he has the ability to play at the Premier League level though.

• Upvote 1

Need to see if Haaland can produce with Salzburg over a longer period before judging whether he could be a future signing for us. He's getting similar rave reviews to Kasper Dolberg, who was tearing shit up at Ajax a couple of years ago. Dolberg was getting linked with all the big clubs too but after a mediocre couple of years, he joined Nice in France in the summer for a lot less than the figures being touted when PL clubs like ourselves were linked.

9 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Need to see if Haaland can produce with Salzburg over a longer period before judging whether he could be a future signing for us. He's getting similar rave reviews to Kasper Dolberg, who was tearing shit up at Ajax a couple of years ago. Dolberg was getting linked with all the big clubs too but after a mediocre couple of years, he joined Nice in France in the summer for a lot less than the figures being touted when PL clubs like ourselves were linked.

Agree it's a risk, but any time you buy someone his age, you're taking a gamble on potential and if you don't jump the gun and take a chance, someone else will take him.

I think just by eye, he's way better than Dolberg. Just way more dominant/physically imposing. He's a kid bullying grown men. And not just in Austria. In Europe too.

We really need someone with an extra goal threat off the bench. Origi (for all his important goals) isn't reliable. If god forbid one of our front 3 get a long term injury we will really struggle relying on Origi. 

Not sure a 'wondered' is the answer in January. We need a proven goalscorer - match winner who would fit our style. 

Son. 

If we're looking to bring in a striker who is different to what we have now, who could make an impact from the bench or as a rotational option, then Wout Weghorst at Wolfsburg is worth a look.

A 1 in 2 striker throughout his career in Holland and Germany, he's got a Peter Crouch vibe about him.

With the number of crosses we get into the box these days, having an option from the bench like Weghorst makes perfect sense to me. At 6'5" he'd give most centre backs a run for their money in the air, but like the aforementioned Crouchy, Wout is also more than capable with the ball at his feet.

27 years old, Dutch international and has previously stated that it is his dream to play for us.

Like Salzburg, Wolfsburg don't need to sell as they too are not short of money, but I reckon Weghorst could be had for somewhere in the region of £30m.

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We really need someone with an extra goal threat off the bench. Origi (for all his important goals) isn't reliable. If god forbid one of our front 3 get a long term injury we will really struggle relying on Origi. 

Not sure a 'wondered' is the answer in January. We need a proven goalscorer - match winner who would fit our style. 

Son. 

Son is just unrealistic. And he's a 100m player at this point. And the best time to bring in a young player is precisely in January when there's extra time to adapt.