You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

16 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool will not be one of the clubs Timo Werner considers when his £42.6m release clause comes into play. Werner already rejected the Reds last year, telling them “there is no space for me to play” due to the presence of Firmino, Salah and Mane. [@SJohnsonSport] https://t.co/jzdzbPKJfX

He's a really good goal scorer and if he does have that release clause it's a bargain, but I don't believe in the fit with our other forwards if he ever did want to come here anyway. Mané - Werner - Salah just lacks balance for me. All a bit similar. I don't think he could adequately replace Salah or Mané either.

I'd like to see us go all-out for Sancho now in that case.

I would have preferred something like Havertz and Werner as our transfer targets in the summer, but if Werner is out I'd like to see us go big. And I'm assuming Mbappe is completely unrealistic, so the next best is Sancho (though he'd normally cost more than we typically like to spend).

Werner is foolish for turning us down - sure, he wouldn't have been first choice right away, but I don't think it would have been as cut and dry as he makes out. He would have been fighting with Firmino for first-choice striker, different player but we could adapt as he's truly outstanding. And he played on the left and did really well last season, so I think he could have been a backup for Mane as well. He'd have gotten at least 30 games next season surely.

Add to that the fact that I think we'll be looking to cash in on one of the wide players in 2021 (Edwards is too smart to wait until after their legs start to go) and he'd have put himself in perfect position to star for a team that is built to dominate for the entire peak of his career.

Oh, well. Sancho it is, then. Might come down to whether he wants to win (in which case he'll choose us, surely, even if the offer is slightly lower) or make as much as possible (in which case he'll go to United and be seen as a cautionary tale within three years).

13 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Liverpool will not be one of the clubs Timo Werner considers when his £42.6m release clause comes into play. Werner already rejected the Reds last year, telling them “there is no space for me to play” due to the presence of Firmino, Salah and Mane. [@SJohnsonSport] https://t.co/jzdzbPKJfX

if thats his attitude then i wouldnt want him near the club 

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'd go all out VVD, Allison style for a creative midfielder if we are not flogging a forward. I only watch us so I've no idea who would light up our midfield apart from De Bruyne..... I'd go all out for De Bruyne. Rock the city boat even if they won't sell to us.

Maddison would offer us the same qualities as De Bruyne would but obviously not quite as good.

We're absolutely never getting De Bruyne or Maddison. Zero chance. Leicester would want about £120m for Maddison based on what they got for Maguire, and there's no chance Edwards pays anything like that.

We might not be looking for a midfielder this summer. We're losing Lallana but we're already well stocked there. We'll be looking for a backup left back and a backup centre back, would be even better if that could be the same player.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Havertz, Ben White, a back-up left back

Havertz is good, but I wouldn't be paying the 100 million being banded about. He's only 20 and despite being an attacking midfielder he doesn't get enough goals/assists to be paying that type of money. His market worth is about 80 million (I reckon 50 million would be more accurate myself) if anyone wanted to buy, not sure why 100 million is being banded about. 

Unless we're signing people of top quality or exciting youngsters we might as well give a few of the returning loan players a go. Wilson and Grujic to bolster us for a start. Why sign a a potential rough diamond for the squad when Wilson already has PL games and goals under his belt. He's different but so is Shaq.

15 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Unless we're signing people of top quality or exciting youngsters we might as well give a few of the returning loan players a go. Wilson and Grujic to bolster us for a start. Why sign a a potential rough diamond for the squad when Wilson already has PL games and goals under his belt. He's different but so is Shaq.

A lot of sense in this. There's no point sending them on loan to 'see what they can do' if we're just going to bin them off.

I think Grujic and Wilson are clearly players we're going to sell to add to the transfer budget. The space we keep in the squad will be for the likes of the teenagers like Jones, Elliott, Williams and Hoever, not early 20's players like Grujic and Wilson, who have been good enough on loan to become attractive to other clubs but probably not good enough to play for us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Neither Wilson or Grujic is good enough from what I've see of them. Wilson is getting goals, but does seem involved in the game all that much and Grujic has been poor in the 3 or so games I've watch. Totally non existent 

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

A lot of sense in this. There's no point sending them on loan to 'see what they can do' if we're just going to bin them off.

Of course there's is

You send them off on loan in the hope they do enough to ha e a few clubs interested and to raise the price you can get