You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

28 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

As a marker of quality of a player, what do you think that proves? Quality, that is. Not quantity. 

Just that he’s an excellent dribbler, something that he had questioned if my memory serves me right. 

13 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Just that he’s an excellent dribbler, something that he had questioned if my memory serves me right. 

I still question it. I don't question that he makes a lot of dribbles. I question that quantity indicates quality and that the quantity of dribbles indicates effectiveness as a player and is an indicator of overall ability. I think it's not. Out of interest, do you think that he's a better dribbler than Messi? 

13 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I still question it. I don't question that he makes a lot of dribbles. I question that quantity indicates quality and that the quantity of dribbles indicates effectiveness as a player and is an indicator of overall ability. I think it's not. Out of interest, do you think that he's a better dribbler than Messi? 

I think the x-axis gives a better picture of the ‘quality’ on that graph. Football is a lot more than dribbling of course, so Traore is never going to come close to Messi as a footballer. However if dribble was an Olympic sport, they’d both make the podium, I’d say.

12 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I think the x-axis gives a better picture of the ‘quality’ on that graph. Football is a lot more than dribbling of course, so Traore is never going to come close to Messi as a footballer. However if dribble was an Olympic sport, they’d both make the podium, I’d say.

What do you make of the end product considering he has dramatically more dribbles and successful dribbles than any other player? If you do 13 dribbles per game and 70% of them are successful, yet in 120+ top flight games you've got 5 goals, from those 1100 dribbles, doesn't it indicate both an issue with the quality of the dribble and the quality of the end product? 

Maybe, just maybe, he has had a bit of a purple patch - like so many dodgy players before - and it's not actually what he has done for the last 5 or 6 seasons. Maybe, as was true of Downing and Pennant with their 'way better than everyone else' stat that has been plucked out of nowhere out of context, it's just not that important when judging how good the player actually is. 

Here's what I think, if we bought him then he would be absolutely hated after 12 months because he would just run into dead ends and chose the wrong option time and time again. Now, maybe I'm wrong and the manager could turn him into a player who chooses the right options more often and makes better quality runs rather than just more of them, but I very much doubt it. 

• Upvote 1

We are in a position of strength . Buy for future or next year Havertz Grealish Werner Sancho whatever we don't need to get involved in bidding wars. At this stage players should and will want to come to us no surprise the length of klopps contract out there stable successful club we are in the top five destinations in world football for players now possibly top three.

• Upvote 1

As shit as it would be him leaving, you couldn’t argue it if he wanted to go.

If we maintain our league form he’ll have won the biggest trophy in our history and be remembered as one of our greatest, he’s scoring at 1 in 2 and has done 4 seasons which is about par nowadays.

I hope he fancies another couple of years here though as we’re currently at worst competing with Madrid like for like in Europe and he’s probably our 2nd most important player

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

You don't sell your best players. Simple as that.

Whilst nothing would give me greater pleasure than watching Mane for the next 8 years and seeing him retire with us, he’ll be sold one day. Probably when he wants to go

There’s no way we’re letting that front 3 all hit 30 at the same time with their value going off a cliff simultaneously. 

How Klopp balances that against wanting to keep your best players is definitely the focus of his comments about him breaking this team up rather than a new manager having to come straight in and do it.

Will all be about timing and shrewd replacements. That was the significance of this new deal wasn’t it, it’s taking him into building a second great team territory.

I think Mane will go in the summer, particularly if we win the league. Can't see him going during this window though.

And in 2021, I think we'll have the same battle with Alisson.

Whatever happens though, we have Klopp at the helm. He'll find replacements.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

In fairness several people on that twitter thread have called bullshit on the numbers

18 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Why do/would they want to leave Liverpool?

To live somewhere new. They're not Scouse or even English. They probably didn't grow up dreaming of living in a cold, wet northern England city. They have the skill set to take them anywhere in the world, why wouldn't they? And all 3 of them earn about 200k per week, they'd probably get more elsewhere too. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

It is a worry that all 3 are in the same age range and will need replacing in the next few years. I just hope we absolutely rinse whoever comes in for them so we can fund the replacement.

Well hopefully minamino is step one on that. And I don't think it's unreasonable to have one eye on Harvey elliot. And firmino could probably go to he's 35, he reminds me a lot of Zola. I don't think there's any need to panic right now.