You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

So there's no chance of a centre back signing as it's not Klopp's style but look out for a new centre back? I like the way you think, it will get you a long way in life. 

I’m told that January and June are different months. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scudger99 said:

Injuries happen.  They happened last season, and the season before.

City aren't going to regain their mojo any time soon, and Leicester aren't going to overhaul our lead unless we seriously fuck up.

Honest question : seeing how Klopp has developed the squad and team and seeing City's ongoing slip from their peak, do you really see us giving up a lead that big to Leicester ?

Because I don't.

fde0407c-7188-4495-8dbb-ed40057e331d_scr

I'd be very surprised if we bought another first-team player in January.

But I'd also be surprised if Lovren weren't replaced in the summer. I think Ben White will be the one we pursue. Just turned 22 and his numbers from the Championship are off-the-charts good. Like, almost van Dijk-level good. 

Not saying he's definitely going to be that good in the Premier League but he has every chance of turning out to be a monster of a player. Rumours that Brighton are only looking for 25m as well.

4 hours ago, DaveT said:

I think it's a bit unfair to lump Gomez in with Lovren and Matip. Although he has missed a lot of games but that's down to two major injuries, an ACL early in his career here and a Burnley-induced broken leg last season. he was available pretty much every game last season up to then and every game since his recovery. There's nothing otherwise to suggest he's going to be a perennial sick note like the other two. Agree totally, however, that we can't carry on with having two CBs with a chronic record of frequent illnesses (in Lovren's case - what's going on there?) and niggly injuries, both Lovren and Matip. 

Meantime, I'm not at all convinced by Sepp van den Berg and expect Hoever to play full back for a few years before moving into the middle........ So..... move Lovren on in the summer and bring in a reliable option.

I don't know why impact injuries don't count. I hear people say this all the time. He's a big boy and his weight and power mean he is likely to get hurt especially when he plays at full back. Maybe he's been unlucky. Or maybe he's just one of those players who's body isn't cut out for football. He's had long injuries every season he's been at the club except this and there's plenty of time to go on that one and he nearly always takes longer than estimated to recover. 

Liverpool will compete with Juventus for the signing of Toulouse starlet Mathieu Goncalves, according to reports.

The teenage left-back has been identified by the Reds as a potential long-term successor to Andy Robertson, who currently has no recognised first team back-up.

Goncalves has played four times for Toulouse’s first team in Ligue 1 this season, and has become a France Under-19 international.

According to Calciomercato, it is not just Liverpool who are interested, as Juventus are also plotting a January move.

It is claimed that the 18-year-old can be signed for as little as £8.5m, with his contract expiring in 2021.

Liverpool are said to have already initiated contacts about the chances of signing Goncalves, who can also play as a centre-back and is ready to explore his options.

Juventus are also set to start negotiations with a €5m bid, but €10m would be preferred – meaning that from a Juventus perspective, the interest of Liverpool is described as “scary”.

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Liverpool will compete with Juventus for the signing of Toulouse starlet Mathieu Goncalves, according to reports.

The teenage left-back has been identified by the Reds as a potential long-term successor to Andy Robertson, who currently has no recognised first team back-up.

Goncalves has played four times for Toulouse’s first team in Ligue 1 this season, and has become a France Under-19 international.

According to Calciomercato, it is not just Liverpool who are interested, as Juventus are also plotting a January move.

It is claimed that the 18-year-old can be signed for as little as £8.5m, with his contract expiring in 2021.

Liverpool are said to have already initiated contacts about the chances of signing Goncalves, who can also play as a centre-back and is ready to explore his options.

Juventus are also set to start negotiations with a €5m bid, but €10m would be preferred – meaning that from a Juventus perspective, the interest of Liverpool is described as “scary”.

Juventus will open bidding with a £25 Sports Direct gift voucher and two crates of a football bloopers and banter DVD narrated by Ricky Hatton.