You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Just now, Butch said:

If anything happens with virgil like during the week do you really want hendo as cb? Defence at the moment is wafer thin, we need quality cover there if this situation occurs again. 

Klopp must be thinking the same. No room for errors this season, this is undoubtedly our best chance of winning the league. 

Klopp has never bought anyone to cover for injuries. He brought in Caulker one time on loan, that's about it. 

Obviously the situation is exasperated by the injuries to Gini and Fabinho. 

I agree with Barry in that we knew there was a good chance that 3 of them could be injured at the same time, so we should have sold one and brought one in. I don't think anyone expected their injuries plus the injured midfielders (no idea of Fabinhos injury record). 

This happened last season and again now, so I think we need to get an injury free CB. I also don't think, unless a short loan, we will get anyone in January. 

• Upvote 1

If Lovren is off in the summer, I could see Klopp promoting Hoever to his place in the squad. Now, he’s not ready for that place, let alone in terms of replacing a senior player who can just drop into big games and mostly perform, no arguments. But, if we buy another centre-half who is, it blocks the path for him to develop over the next x period of time and become ready for it.

He’s clearly held in high esteem by the club, so it would also be very un-Klopp like to bring in someone likely to take that place in the team ahead of him for the foreseeable future. Especially as Williams is looking a potential understudy for Trent, so may further block available minutes for Hoever in that position.

Do Red Bull Salzburg have a perfect fit for us, high-performing left back understudy who can comfortably play centre-half at the top level?

Klopp already quashed the centre back signing in the last fortnight.  He said a forward player might be comiing in the January window, but no chance of a centre back.

It's not the way he works, that's why he likes players with the ability to cover multiple positions.

1 minute ago, scudger99 said:

Klopp already quashed the centre back signing in the last fortnight.  He said a forward player might be comiing in the January window, but no chance of a centre back.

It's not the way he works, that's why he likes players with the ability to cover multiple positions.

If those are all out injured then it's a bad situation to be in. This is the most important part of the season for us and can't afford lose momentum. This time last year we dropped points,we can't afford to to give those below us any hope of catching up. 

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

If those are all out injured then it's a bad situation to be in. This is the most important part of the season for us and can't afford lose momentum. This time last year we dropped points,we can't afford to to give those below us any hope of catching up. 

Injuries happen.  They happened last season, and the season before.

City aren't going to regain their mojo any time soon, and Leicester aren't going to overhaul our lead unless we seriously fuck up.

Honest question : seeing how Klopp has developed the squad and team and seeing City's ongoing slip from their peak, do you really see us giving up a lead that big to Leicester ?

Because I don't.

3 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

Injuries happen.  They happened last season, and the season before.

City aren't going to regain their mojo any time soon, and Leicester aren't going to overhaul our lead unless we seriously fuck up.

Honest question : seeing how Klopp has developed the squad and team and seeing City's ongoing slip from their peak, do you really see us giving up a lead that big to Leicester ?

Because I don't.

Leicester don't worry me at all, it's city that do. Larporte coming back soon will be a massive boost for them. I remember somone saying that his injurie will have a massive impact on them and they were right. Maybe I'm being a Hysterical fanny but this season is massive for us. 

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

Leicester don't worry me at all, it's city that do. Larporte coming back soon will be a massive boost for them. I remember somone saying that his injurie will have a massive impact on them and they were right. Maybe I'm being a Hysterical fanny but this season is massive for us. 

It's in our hands.  Laporte coming back for them doesn't matter a fuck if we're 14 points ahead of them.  How are they going to gain those points unless we lose 5 games ?  Even their oil money can't help them now.

I don't think we've lost 5 Premiership games since the start of the 2018/19 season, with this squad of relentless fuckers being driven by Klopp, do you really think our arse is going to drop out in the second half of the season ?

Every season we pick up form after Christmas. 

Worry about our points lead ?  Fuck no, if anything I see us extending it.  Klopp has built a wrecking machine, and apart from a few hiccups here and there it will just keep bulldozing on.

The players believe it, you can see it on the pitch.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm a bit of both on this. I think (and have said this before) it's a massive risk at centre back because 3 of our 4 choices have awful records with fitness, so we really do need someone else and I would let one go to accommodate someone new. However, I do agree it would be very unklopp like to do it in this window. 

I think it's a bit unfair to lump Gomez in with Lovren and Matip. Although he has missed a lot of games but that's down to two major injuries, an ACL early in his career here and a Burnley-induced broken leg last season. he was available pretty much every game last season up to then and every game since his recovery. There's nothing otherwise to suggest he's going to be a perennial sick note like the other two. Agree totally, however, that we can't carry on with having two CBs with a chronic record of frequent illnesses (in Lovren's case - what's going on there?) and niggly injuries, both Lovren and Matip. 

Meantime, I'm not at all convinced by Sepp van den Berg and expect Hoever to play full back for a few years before moving into the middle........ So..... move Lovren on in the summer and bring in a reliable option.

Generally, I think IF we were to win the title, the younger lads would find it a lot easier to get first-team minutes next season. Jones, Elliott and Hoever in particular.

The scale of what the club is trying to achieve at the moment, the weight of history they’re looking to overcome, is such that highly-rated players like Naby who cost £50M and experienced internationals who’ve been at Bayern and Inter like Shaqiri have struggled for minutes. Klopp is leaving no stone unturned and nothing to chance.

You don’t drop developing kids into a level of pressure like that, for the club’s aims sake and for their own. If we don’t lift the title this season maybe that remains the same next year. If we do though, I’d say there’s a number of signs the next phase of freshening up this squad is seen by Klopp as mostly coming from in-house. There was certainly a lot more writing on the wall at Melwood this summer than leaning on it.

• Upvote 2

Buying a CB as cover in Jan makes no sense because you're essentially buying that player to play a couple game before Matip and Lovren come back, and then you probably never hear from them again because Matip and Lovren have experience in our system, and that other player doesn't. And who's to say if we bought a CB he would be ready to step in right away? It's spending money for nothing, which is why if there's ever an injury crisis, it's usually always solved with a loan. But I doubt it will come to that for us.

If a CB we want long term somehow becomes available, then we'd make the move anyway, regardless of injuries.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scudger99 said:

Havertz it is then . Great decision Jürgen ! 

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

If Lovren is off in the summer, I could see Klopp promoting Hoever to his place in the squad. Now, he’s not ready for that place, let alone in terms of replacing a senior player who can just drop into big games and mostly perform, no arguments. But, if we buy another centre-half who is, it blocks the path for him to develop over the next x period of time and become ready for it.

He’s clearly held in high esteem by the club, so it would also be very un-Klopp like to bring in someone likely to take that place in the team ahead of him for the foreseeable future. Especially as Williams is looking a potential understudy for Trent, so may further block available minutes for Hoever in that position.

Do Red Bull Salzburg have a perfect fit for us, high-performing left back understudy who can comfortably play centre-half at the top level?

I think it's fanciful to think Hoever can be our fourth choice CB. He'd still only be 18, turning 19 by the end of next season. I think it's far more likely he'll be given the backup right back job.

I think we pretty clearly need to spend a decent amount on a more seasoned young player to replace Lovren. Ben White has been mentioned and I think that would make a lot of sense.

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think it's fanciful to think Hoever can be our fourth choice CB. He'd still only be 18, turning 19 by the end of next season. I think it's far more likely he'll be given the backup right back job.

I think we pretty clearly need to spend a decent amount on a more seasoned young player to replace Lovren. Ben White has been mentioned and I think that would make a lot of sense.

I agree he’s not ready. Personally, I’d buy another player. Just think if we do, in reality that’s tantamount to saying Hoever doesn’t break through here in the next couple of years at least...and he’ll need to be playing first team football to reach his full potential.

Given that choice, Klopp has shown more than once he’d keep the player who isn’t quite ready rather than potentially block their path. He may choose to loan him out and replace Lovren with someone first-team ready now of course. Certainly not cut and dried he’ll buy a central defender next summer though, in my view.

10 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I agree he’s not ready. Personally, I’d buy another player. Just think if we do, in reality that’s tantamount to saying Hoever doesn’t break through here in the next couple of years at least...and he’ll need to be playing first team football to reach his full potential.

Given that choice, Klopp has shown more than once he’d keep the player who isn’t quite ready rather than potentially block their path. He may choose to loan him out and replace Lovren with someone first-team ready now of course. Certainly not cut and dried he’ll buy a central defender next summer though, in my view.

We could go the Gomez route with him and give him games at right back when we're rotating. He's shown enough ability to be a genuinely good option there. Or we might even move Trent into midfield at times, who knows. Failing that, like you said there's always a loan. I don't think buying a good young CB means we won't ever give him a true chance. He's still very young.

I think Hoever will get a few games next season. Probably as a right back. Would also like to see Trent tried in the Henderson role at the same time (one of the two more advanced midfielders, but with the responsibility to cover the right side and delivering crosses in support of the RB).

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We could go the Gomez route with him and give him games at right back when we're rotating. He's shown enough ability to be a genuinely good option there. Or we might even move Trent into midfield at times, who knows. Failing that, like you said there's always a loan. I don't think buying a good young CB means we won't ever give him a true chance. He's still very young.

Aye, we’ll find out mate.

Obviously if you’re proved right I’ll hound you til the end of time trying to break you to save some face, and if I am I’ll scratch the date and time into my arm with a compass.

No big deal.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Disagree that we need a new centre half in January. It would be an extremely unKlopp move. We’ll have everyone back by the time they’d be up to speed. I’m sure we’ll see movement there in the summer. 

So there's no chance of a centre back signing as it's not Klopp's style but look out for a new centre back? I like the way you think, it will get you a long way in life.