You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Son is just unrealistic. And he's a 100m player at this point. And the best time to bring in a young player is precisely in January when there's extra time to adapt.

It probably isn't realistic but I don't know about you, I'd like to win the league this season and if we bring in someone with potential who doesn't hit the ground running then we could miss out yet again. 

28 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It probably isn't realistic but I don't know about you, I'd like to win the league this season and if we bring in someone with potential who doesn't hit the ground running then we could miss out yet again. 

I think it would also be nice if we won the league, but I also think it's better to discuss potential signings that have a little more than 0% chance of occurring.

Spurs have got Utd and Wolves away and Chelsea at home before the new year. They are already 9 points off the top 4. There is every chance they could go into January a good 12/13 points off a champions league place. The financial cost of missing out would be huge. Son is 27 and at the top of his game so of course playing in the Champions League will be massive for him. Its really not the most far fetched idea to think that the european champions and runaway league leaders have a chance of slapping the money down and him wanting to come. 

I know it won't happen like but don't invent impossibilities. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Spurs have got Utd and Wolves away and Chelsea at home before the new year. They are already 9 points off the top 4. There is every chance they could go into January a good 12/13 points off a champions league place. The financial cost of missing out would be huge. Son is 27 and at the top of his game so of course playing in the Champions League will be massive for him. Its really not the most far fetched idea to think that the european champions and runaway league leaders have a chance of slapping the money down and him wanting to come. 

And they are in the knockout stages of the champions league. He's no happening, not unless you offer 120ml plus

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Who we selling to get the money? 

6 hours ago, Dynamite said:

If we're looking to bring in a striker who is different to what we have now, who could make an impact from the bench or as a rotational option, then Wout Weghorst at Wolfsburg is worth a look.

A 1 in 2 striker throughout his career in Holland and Germany, he's got a Peter Crouch vibe about him.

With the number of crosses we get into the box these days, having an option from the bench like Weghorst makes perfect sense to me. At 6'5" he'd give most centre backs a run for their money in the air, but like the aforementioned Crouchy, Wout is also more than capable with the ball at his feet.

27 years old, Dutch international and has previously stated that it is his dream to play for us.

Like Salzburg, Wolfsburg don't need to sell as they too are not short of money, but I reckon Weghorst could be had for somewhere in the region of £30m.

That clip makes him look boss. Bit worrying that his first 20 goals were pens though. 

0738A98E-C623-4B17-B02D-A45AF8D0A3A1.jpeg

9 hours ago, Dynamite said:

If we're looking to bring in a striker who is different to what we have now, who could make an impact from the bench or as a rotational option, then Wout Weghorst at Wolfsburg is worth a look.

A 1 in 2 striker throughout his career in Holland and Germany, he's got a Peter Crouch vibe about him.

With the number of crosses we get into the box these days, having an option from the bench like Weghorst makes perfect sense to me. At 6'5" he'd give most centre backs a run for their money in the air, but like the aforementioned Crouchy, Wout is also more than capable with the ball at his feet.

27 years old, Dutch international and has previously stated that it is his dream to play for us.

Like Salzburg, Wolfsburg don't need to sell as they too are not short of money, but I reckon Weghorst could be had for somewhere in the region of £30m.

Not for me mate. He's a punt, and we don't need punts at this stage. Proven talent only please. Might cost a bit more, but that's just how it is.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Not for me mate. He's a punt, and we don't need punts at this stage. Proven talent only please. Might cost a bit more, but that's just how it is.

Don't disagree with him being something of a punt, just a suggestion as someone who would be a backup/rotational player - someone who is completely different from what we already have.

However, I don't agree that he's not proven. He's made 250+ league appearances in his career. Scored more than 100 league goals. He's a seasoned professional with good experience in a top European league. Suppose it depends on your definition of proven.

Who isn't a punt these days? Haaland & Sancho have massive potential, but are either of those proven? No more or less than Weghorst I would suggest. Would still be a gamble paying what their respective clubs would want for them. I'd certainly not complain if we were to bring in either, or both, of them though.

The links to Timo Werner will continue, and I'd be all for signing him too, but I have my doubts that he'd be willing to come and sit on the bench for us while he's the main man at Leipzig.

Much like Havertz, I suspect that Werner will end up at Bayern in a season or two. He'll walk straight into the Bayern side to replace Lewandowski. No such guarantees here.

As has been mentioned above, in all likelihood, we'll not sign anyone for the first team in January.

1 hour ago, General Dryness said:

We don't really sign "proven", though, do we. Never have. Was Torres proven? He wasn't even 1 in 2 at Atletico. Suarez was in the Eredivisie. Coutinho barely played at Inter. Mane and van Dijk great performers but at a small club. Salah, a Premier League "failure". 

Point is, there was a risk in every successful transfer we've ever made. We make stars, we don't buy them.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Salah. Stinking the place out. 

Salah is twice the player Son is. He has more goals in two and a half seasons at Liverpool than Son has in four and a half at Spurs. 

He's far better than Sancho as well. And he's also not a prick like young Jadon is starting to appear to be. 

• Like 1

With our fixture congestion over this Christmas period and our lack of squad depth (basically Milner to cover every position when someone is out) I can't see how the hell we maintain these results. We look lethargic already and injuries are starting to bite. We should fuck off this world club cup, im not even arsed about the champions league this year. League league league all the way. We need signings but until we sell a star player I don't think we will. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We don't really sign "proven", though, do we. Never have. Was Torres proven? He wasn't even 1 in 2 at Atletico. Suarez was in the Eredivisie. Coutinho barely played at Inter. Mane and van Dijk great performers but at a small club. Salah, a Premier League "failure". 

Point is, there was a risk in every successful transfer we've ever made. We make stars, we don't buy them.

Different team, different times. We're not the Liverpool that takes punts any more. Or at least we shouldn't be.

And calling Salah, Mane and Van Dijk punts is disingenuous at best, fucking genuinely thick at worst. Mane and Van Dijk were clearly far too good for Southampton. And Salah wasn't a Premier League "failure". Chelsea bought him to stop us from getting him, played him out of position a few times, sent him on loan a few times then sold him. 

"We make stars, we don't buy them". Get a grip.

• Upvote 3