You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, Dynamite said:

If we've got money to spend in January and Herr Klopp wants to bring someone in, then I hope that someone is Havertz.

Leverkusen are comfortably a mid-table side in the Bundesliga, and are likely to be playing in the Europa League at best come the new year.

Havertz brings youth, versatility and massive potential for the immediate future and for the longer term. Young enough to be rotated, but also good enough to play in the side week in week out if needed.

What position would Havertz play here, though? Surely not midfield in our setup and he doesn't fit the mould of a wide forward. Maybe the Firmino position but that's a big leap. I'm not sure he's an ideal fit if we play 4-3-3. 

17 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

What position would Havertz play here, though? Surely not midfield in our setup and he doesn't fit the mould of a wide forward. Maybe the Firmino position but that's a big leap. I'm not sure he's an ideal fit if we play 4-3-3. 

He could comfortably play in a midfield role here, and from the right of a front 3. He'd certainly be best suited as a central attacking player - so Bobby's backup, but he's good enough to play in other positions too.

The lad is an outstanding talent, and while there will always be a period in which he would need to settle into the squad and adapt to the differences between the Bundesliga and the Premier League, I have no doubts what so ever that he'd be anything other than a top player for years to come.

Already looks like a player who will naturally drop deeper in playing position as his career progresses.

I don't expect that we'll ever sign Havertz unfortunately, as I think he'll follow many other young Germans and join Bayern. Just stating that I would like us to sign him, if we were to bring anyone in during the upcoming transfer window(s).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

He could comfortably play in a midfield role here, and from the right of a front 3. He'd certainly be best suited as a central attacking player - so Bobby's backup, but he's good enough to play in other positions too.

The lad is an outstanding talent, and while there will always be a period in which he would need to settle into the squad and adapt to the differences between the Bundesliga and the Premier League, I have no doubts what so ever that he'd be anything other than a top player for years to come.

Already looks like a player who will naturally drop deeper in playing position as his career progresses.

I don't expect that we'll ever sign Havertz unfortunately, as I think he'll follow many other young Germans and join Bayern. Just stating that I would like us to sign him, if we were to bring anyone in during the upcoming transfer window(s).

The way Henderson and Wijnaldum play, I don't think Havertz can do that. Nor what Salah and Mane do. Maybe he could do Firmino's role, that's about it.

If we were to sign him, it would indicate a change of tactics, Imo. More towards a 4-2-3-1. Maybe that's what we were trying to do when we wanted to buy Fekir. If we do that, fair enough, but from what I've seen I don't think he fits the way we play at all right now. 

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

29 a bit old. The lad at Norwich has a big future Aarons.

Not for the purpose of being a sub. Aaron's or someone up and coming aren't going to be interested in a bit part role. Stevens would, he was a late starter so wouldnt be exactly flush. Three years as back up to Robbo would be ideal for him.

1 minute ago, No2 said:

Not for the purpose of being a sub. Aaron's or someone up and coming aren't going to be interested in a bit part role. Stevens would, he was a late starter so wouldnt be exactly flush. Three years as back up to Robbo would be ideal for him.

I have no problem signing older players in the short term, the owners seem to though.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Any player worth signing is going to back himself to shift the player in front of him, sooner or later. 

• Upvote 2

As Jurgen seems to have distinct reservations about Shaq , and our weakness for serviceable cover appears to be at wide-forward , I would sell the Powercube and get Ryan Fraser in. He would be relatively cheap with his contract up in June and might be the difference in the second half of the season. Ronny Rosenthal version 2.0

• Upvote 1

On 23/11/2019 at 18:38, Dynamite said:

If we've got money to spend in January and Herr Klopp wants to bring someone in, then I hope that someone is Havertz.

Leverkusen are comfortably a mid-table side in the Bundesliga, and are likely to be playing in the Europa League at best come the new year.

Havertz brings youth, versatility and massive potential for the immediate future and for the longer term. Young enough to be rotated, but also good enough to play in the side week in week out if needed.

Get this lad bought he will be a superstar . If Kieta's stock in Germany still high bung him into deal along with some cash 

Staying at my wife’s relatives place in Devon tonight. The husband is a big Leeds fan, so I watched the game with him this evening. Ben White looked good but wasn’t really tested much. Reading spent all game defending, Leeds had all the ball and most of the time they didn’t really know what to do with it. One player who really impressed me was their DM; Kalvin Phillips. He looked quality. Looked real strong defensively, as well as a good passer of the ball, spraying the ball about from deep. One to keep an eye on.

3 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Staying at my wife’s relatives place in Devon tonight. The husband is a big Leeds fan, so I watched the game with him this evening. Ben White looked good but wasn’t really tested much. Reading spent all game defending, Leeds had all the ball and most of the time they didn’t really know what to do with it. One player who really impressed me was their DM; Kalvin Phillips. He looked quality. Looked real strong defensively, as well as a good passer of the ball, spraying the ball about from deep. One to keep an eye on.

I think Villa tried to buy him for around 25m, or something like that and Leeds refused. When I was watching them last season because I was interested in seeing Bielsa, he looked dominant physically in the midfield. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

I think Villa tried to buy him for around 25m, or something like that and Leeds refused. When I was watching them last season because I was interested in seeing Bielsa, he looked dominant physically in the midfield. 

He’s not tall but quite stocky. Ben White looked a good footballer. Leeds played 3-3-1-3, and he pushed up at every opportunity. Would’ve liked to have seen him tested defensively. Ejaria played AM for Reading tonight, and he looked decent enough. They relied on him for creativity. He showed some nice footwork at times and strength holding off players. I don’t think he’ll come back and play for us though unfort.