You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Guest Pistonbroke
6 hours ago, viRdjil said:

@Pistonbroke @VERBAL DIARRHEA have you seen much of Salif Sane? If so thoughts? Saw him at the CAF... bit of a man mountain.

Knocking on 30 and has never played for a big club, I wouldn't class Schalke as a big club anymore, they've been poor for years. He's played better for them this season but was poor in the last. He's a big unit, but not for me. 

19 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Knocking on 30 and has never played for a big club, I wouldn't class Schalke as a big club anymore, they've been poor for years. He's played better for them this season but was poor in the last. He's a big unit, but not for me. 

What are your thoughts on Konate mate? I think he can be a top top player.

Guest Pistonbroke
14 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

What are your thoughts on Konate mate? I think he can be a top top player.

Still a young lad but he's getting noticed quite a bit, also a big unit and he's obviously going to fill out a bit more. Very physical, a lot of German pundits say he's like one of these street footballers who come along. Bit rough around the edges but not afraid to get stuck in. One to keep an eye on but it would be a bit of a risk to go in for him now, Leipzig would ask for big money as they don't need to sell players. 

6 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp called Genk midfielder Berge 'an interesting player' during a conversation with the player after their Champions League clash. according to the young midfielder.

This of course means Liverpool are eyeing a swoop. 

The Norwegian media has been in overdrive for the last year (since Solskjaer's appointment at Utd). They are now present with several reporters at every single game both us and the Mancs are playing. Norwegian TV2's female reporter is particularly active, and often gets access to both clubs managers/pressers. Near every single question the Norwegian media poses also has a Norwegian "angle" to it, it's super tedious. When Klopp retorted with Origi as a Liverpool legend, the Norwegian reporter was really just fishing to get Berge's name mentioned. It was the same when we were playing Salzburg and they wanted Klopp's endorsement of him. 

Berge seems like a level-headed and well-spoken lad, so it's a bit out of character for him to drop information like this to the media, unless he was really flattered (which he probably was). He called us the best team in the world both prior to the game and in the aftermath.

If true, I agree with Klopps comments, though. Berge is indeed interesting. He's a lot quicker than you'd think for a player his size (1.95m), he's pretty calm on the ball and has a good range of passing. Early in his career he would take people on more often than he does at the moment, but I think that's something that he could redevelop (I guess he's just been told to play it a bit more safely at both Genk and Norway than he was for Vaalerenga).

There's a lot of hype surrounding Haaland at Salzburg atm, I personally think Berge will have the better career (at a more prestiguous club). Haaland has the benefit of playing at a club completely dominating its league, as well as having some really talented attacking players playing him in. He's a bit of a beast physically at 19, but I think he's pretty limited in terms of general play. He'll score goals with his left foot if set up in the box, though. Watching him play for Norway will give a better impression of his overall ability than for Salzburg. 

Anyway, along with Odegaard, he's someone I wouldn't be adverse to seeing at Liverpool. That's a pretty big compliment from me, as Bjornebye and the subsequent influx of Norwegians into our great club was always a bit of a moodkiller for me (Heggem being the lone exception, but he was made of glass). I remember swearing and shouting much of the day Bjornebye signed for us, back in 1992, and going absolutely ballistic when we signed Kvarme, Kippe and Leonhardsen (shudder). F**k I'm getting old., remember reading about Bjornebye's debut like it was yesterday, 5-1 we lost to Coventry. Truly dark times. 

Back to Berge, he rejected an offer from Sheffield Utd this summer, I'm guessing he'll leave Genk either in January or in the summer. Not saying we should be all out trying to buy him, but he's definitely someone we should keep an eye on.

• Upvote 9

26 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Still a young lad but he's getting noticed quite a bit, also a big unit and he's obviously going to fill out a bit more. Very physical, a lot of German pundits say he's like one of these street footballers who come along. Bit rough around the edges but not afraid to get stuck in. One to keep an eye on but it would be a bit of a risk to go in for him now, Leipzig would ask for big money as they don't need to sell players. 

Think he is highly rated and would cost 40m plus, but he can be some player the lad.

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

The last few pages have shown that we probably have the best scouting network in the world.

This forum that is, not the club.

If you don't watch 中国足球协会乙级联赛 (祁云飞 from 武汉三镇足球俱乐部 is playing pretty well at the moment) then can you really call yourself a fan of the game? 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, lebron said:

The Norwegian media has been in overdrive for the last year (since Solskjaer's appointment at Utd). They are now present with several reporters at every single game both us and the Mancs are playing. Norwegian TV2's female reporter is particularly active, and often gets access to both clubs managers/pressers. Near every single question the Norwegian media poses also has a Norwegian "angle" to it, it's super tedious. When Klopp retorted with Origi as a Liverpool legend, the Norwegian reporter was really just fishing to get Berge's name mentioned. It was the same when we were playing Salzburg and they wanted Klopp's endorsement of him. 

Berge seems like a level-headed and well-spoken lad, so it's a bit out of character for him to drop information like this to the media, unless he was really flattered (which he probably was). He called us the best team in the world both prior to the game and in the aftermath.

If true, I agree with Klopps comments, though. Berge is indeed interesting. He's a lot quicker than you'd think for a player his size (1.95m), he's pretty calm on the ball and has a good range of passing. Early in his career he would take people on more often than he does at the moment, but I think that's something that he could redevelop (I guess he's just been told to play it a bit more safely at both Genk and Norway than he was for Vaalerenga).

There's a lot of hype surrounding Haaland at Salzburg atm, I personally think Berge will have the better career (at a more prestiguous club). Haaland has the benefit of playing at a club completely dominating its league, as well as having some really talented attacking players playing him in. He's a bit of a beast physically at 19, but I think he's pretty limited in terms of general play. He'll score goals with his left foot if set up in the box, though. Watching him play for Norway will give a better impression of his overall ability than for Salzburg. 

Anyway, along with Odegaard, he's someone I wouldn't be adverse to seeing at Liverpool. That's a pretty big compliment from me, as Bjornebye and the subsequent influx of Norwegians into our great club was always a bit of a moodkiller for me (Heggem being the lone exception, but he was made of glass). I remember swearing and shouting much of the day Bjornebye signed for us, back in 1992, and going absolutely ballistic when we signed Kvarme, Kippe and Leonhardsen (shudder). F**k I'm getting old., remember reading about Bjornebye's debut like it was yesterday, 5-1 we lost to Coventry. Truly dark times. 

Back to Berge, he rejected an offer from Sheffield Utd this summer, I'm guessing he'll leave Genk either in January or in the summer. Not saying we should be all out trying to buy him, but he's definitely someone we should keep an eye on.

Well that’s me sold. Ready to kick off big style on this if he’s not ours in January. 

Guest Pistonbroke
13 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Think he is highly rated and would cost 40m plus, but he can be some player the lad.

Physically and aerial wise he is very good, remains to be seen if his technical side will improve. He's contacted until 2023 so I reckon you're spot on about the 40 million mark. Lot of money for a defender who is after all still only 20 years young. 

13 hours ago, lebron said:

Is this being seen as a golden generation in Norway? Odegaard, Haaland and Berge all look like they could become world class. Odegaard especially already seems on the cusp.

31 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Physically and aerial wise he is very good, remains to be seen if his technical side will improve. He's contacted until 2023 so I reckon you're spot on about the 40 million mark. Lot of money for a defender who is after all still only 20 years young. 

He’s ok on the ball from what i’ve seen but raw, someone big will be in for him in the next year or two I think mate.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

He’s ok on the ball from what i’ve seen but raw, someone big will be in for him in the next year or two I think mate.

Definitely, but for the moment I'd advise the lad to play for Leipzig for at least another season. He's at a well run club. Like I said earlier mate, he's been talked about like one of these street footballers with massive potential what come about from time to time. 40 million is a lot of money to lash out on a CB who might not be your first choice from the off, unless of course you have dirty money backing the club. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Is this being seen as a golden generation in Norway? Odegaard, Haaland and Berge all look like they could become world class. Odegaard especially already seems on the cusp.

There has definitely been more hype surrounding the two former than any Norwegian players in my liefetime (even more than Solskjaer/Flo in the mid-90s). Add Joshua King and Kristoffer Ajer (Bournemouth) into the mix, and we have a potentially very good spine and attacking midfield/strikeforce. Unfortunately we have the most boring international coach (Lagerbäck) in the history of the world, playing-wise. The Norwegian FA are keen to extend his current contract, hopefully they'll finally go for Solbakken (FC Copenhagen) instead.

If not Solbakken, hopefully we can get a really attack-minded coach in, there's potential there for some really good, entertaining, possession-orientated football. I'm guessing we'll still waste the talents of Berge and Odegaard and play 4-5-1 low block counter-attacking football for a while yet, though. The ghosts of Drillo Olsen's past still haunt us imo. 

• Upvote 1