You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well we were talking about teams he would be a starter for who could afford to pay him. Don't think City would be in for him - maybe United. Ypu also may be overestimating what a team like Inter or even Barca would pay a defender.

He is going to get paid more than Pique?? 

Spanish tax laws means he'd see more of his basic wage doesn't it, so 150,000 euros might be more than £200k afer tax.

5 hours ago, viRdjil said:

I wonder who we’re gonna bring in to replace Lovren (whether in Jan or in the summer). Matip seems to be first choice now. It looks to me like Klopp sees Gomez as the future, but he doesn’t quite trust him as yet to play at CB in important games. It’s interesting, you don’t want to block Gomez’s development but you want someone that you know is able to perform at the highest level on a regular basis. Alderweireld would be perfect IMO.

Matip just signed a new long term deal, presumably to be mostly first choice alongside Virgil. With that in mind, it should and will probably be someone young.

That guy from Brighton on loan to Leeds intrigues me, I forget his name. If he can be impressive under a coach like Bielsa who puts his defenders under immense pressure, I think he's someone who should seriously be looked at, just on that basis.

Edit: Ben White.

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well we were talking about teams he would be a starter for who could afford to pay him. Don't think City would be in for him - maybe United. Ypu also may be overestimating what a team like Inter or even Barca would pay a defender.

He is going to get paid more than Pique?? 

Plenty of foreign clubs will pay it or pay a larger signing on fee, whatever is best fir them financially. 

Pique is on 240k euros a week. Umiti a touch less. To them selling and Inter etc selling a defender for 20ml plus and bringing him in on a free makes plenty of sense. 

We'd be insane to sell any of our second-stringers in January, even the often maligned ones. 

Lallana's a case in point - small steps and all that, but he's been more important for us over the last month than he has in the last few years.

And for all his huge potential, Gomez is still a kid on a learning curve, so we're lucky that we didn't sell Lovren in the summer.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We'd be insane to sell any of our second-stringers in January, even the often maligned ones. 

Lallana's a case in point - small steps and all that, but he's been more important for us over the last month than he has in the last few years.

And for all his huge potential, Gomez is still a kid on a learning curve, so we're lucky that we didn't sell Lovren in the summer.

Agree with this. If we are moving players on to strengthen in January then great. But I don't want us to weaken the squad for the run-in just to save a few bob on wages.  

18 hours ago, A Red said:

I like Lallana, thought he did well against Villa. If he signed a new lower contract with appearance bonuses I'd be happy with that.

I like him but I wouldn’t sign him up to any kind of new deal. He’s just started his first game in the league for what 2 years, he’s constantly injured, even his much vaunted flexibility isn’t really all that when you consider he’s prob 3/4th choice in any position. 

id let his contract run down and let him go in the summer. I’d rather some youngsters were given the minutes he gets.

22 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Matip just signed a new long term deal, presumably to be mostly first choice alongside Virgil. With that in mind, it should and will probably be someone young.

That guy from Brighton on loan to Leeds intrigues me, I forget his name. If he can be impressive under a coach like Bielsa who puts his defenders under immense pressure, I think he's someone who should seriously be looked at, just on that basis.

Is he a young stud? 

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

I like him but I wouldn’t sign him up to any kind of new deal. He’s just started his first game in the league for what 2 years, he’s constantly injured, even his much vaunted flexibility isn’t really all that when you consider he’s prob 3/4th choice in any position. 

id let his contract run down and let him go in the summer. I’d rather some youngsters were given the minutes he gets.

Reluctantly agree unless he pulls up a few trees in the meantime . We have never really had that much mileage out of the fella despite his undoubted ability which is a great shame. When he came I thought he could be the lynch pin of our midfield for years and take on the captaincy . New Gerrards are few and far between . 

23 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Have we been linked with him? Talk to some Leeds fans and they act like he's a cross between Beckenbauer and van Dijk or something.

Never seen him play but if he's even 1/10 the player they think he is then I'd be all for buying him.

27 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Have we been linked with him? Talk to some Leeds fans and they act like he's a cross between Beckenbauer and van Dijk or something.

Never seen him play but if he's even 1/10 the player they think he is then I'd be all for buying him.

Yeah, I think tenuously, although tenuous links are pretty much all we get nowadays.

15 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

If that's the case he's either some superior alien race or has been made in a laboratory using one of big Virg's old wank socks and Graphene.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp called Genk midfielder Berge 'an interesting player' during a conversation with the player after their Champions League clash. according to the young midfielder.

This of course means Liverpool are eyeing a swoop. 

I'd give Lallana a contract, given the terms aren't ridiculous - mainly to protect his value.

Then at least we can get some money for him if we do sell him in the summer, rather than releasing him for free.

I don't really like him in this 6 role.  Much rather see Hendo cover Fabinho when he can t play (or Gini), with Lallana playing as an 8.  I think he's good in that role.  My issues with him are injuries and playing in the front three or as the 6.  As an 8, he's useful.

Saw we were linked with Zakaria the other day, something that makes a bit of sense as he can play as the 6 or at CB.  Given Matip is injured, Lovren could potentially leave if we do get an offer we can;t refuse (not sure we'd sell him currently as he's needed) - I can see why we are linked to such a player. 

But I think Henderson should be back up for Fabinho.  I've been a huge supporter of Hendo's over the years.  But I think I'd rather see two of Gini, Ox, Keita or even Lallana as the 8s over him (or Milner).  Tactically in our midfield I think he's a better 6 - but obvious Fabinho is the main guy in that role.  

• Upvote 1