You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

16 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

At the time Hendo was in his early 20s and Dempsey was a mediocre journeyman in his late 20s. James Maddison is one of the brightest young British talents at the moment and a couple of years younger than Keita.

Are you two-timing Winks with Maddison now?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think he's more useful than Shaqiri. If we sell and improve on 1 of those 2, it will be him rather than Origi. He's just a better fit tactically and for this squad.

I don't think we operate like that. I think we'll sell who wants to go and who's got an appropriate offer on the table. If someone came in and slapped 40m on the table for origi in January, he'd be gone. 

I dont think Jurgen will sanction a sale of Origi for £40m in January for one minute. We'd have just come back from Dubai and likely need him. Neither do I think Lovren will be shipped out either especially if our lead is down to 4 or 5 points. Shaqiri may go seeing as he isnt being used at all.

End of the season and if we do win the title, I could see one of Mo or Sadio maybe moving on as they have delivered the holy grail. Radical and I hope Im wrong. I could also see one of Degsy or Gomez moving on if they havent been an integral part of the team maybe Lallana as well.

That would give Jurgen room and money to bring in some new faces for a new crack at the title.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

End of the season and if we do win the title, I could see one of Mo or Sadio maybe moving on as they have delivered the holy grail. Radical and I hope Im wrong. I could also see one of Degsy or Gomez moving on if they havent been an integral part of the team maybe Lallana as well.

I've had a funny feeling about this as well.

Just seems like something Edwards would do. Wait until the conventional wisdom is all lined up saying "Liverpool have finally set up a dynasty" and then sell one of the crucial players and replace him with a younger version to keep it going long-term. Obviously only if we got someone big like Sancho or Mbappe to replace him but I really think Salah could be sold if one of those was available and Edwards was convinced he was going to be a huge star.

Oh, and of course Jurgen would have to be 100% on board as well, which is the part I'm least sure about.

I think if we win the league we'd be a bit stupid not to consider offers for one of Salah or Mane if the money is big. Just one of those forward thinking decisions that would freshen things up, but of course the replacement would have to be world class and younger for it to be worth it and we'd also have to get someone else on top of that to actually improve the team. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think if we win the league we'd be a bit stupid not to consider offers for one of Salah or Mane if the money is big. Just one of those forward thinking decisions that would freshen things up, but of course the replacement would have to be world class and younger for it to be worth it and we'd also have to get someone else on top of that to actually improve the team. 

Salah maybe, not Mane. He’s too good. Salah for MBop, though... would probably get behind that. 

Sell Sadio Mane? Are you on crack?

Let's see where we come this season before we start planning for the 2022/2023 season.

But I get that most of our current team is in its prime 26/27/28, and if it made sense to sell anyone to 'freshen up' it would probably be Salah

• Upvote 2

Salah and Mane shared the golden boot last season and Salah destroyed the world before that.

People seem awful quick to forget Salahs contributions. He's great. Is he perfect? No. But is it worth selling him to buy some huge expensive player that has a risk of not fitting in? Not for me. We have other areas we can improve first. Namely, creativity in the attacking midfield positions.

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Red74 said:

I just don’t think he’s got the fight in him to be the success we thought he’d be. Seems to be a shy kid and picks up to many none serious injuries to make me feel he’ll be the answer. Think this leagues just not suited to him. 

Keita this season = Matip last season 

Keita next season = Matip this season 

Matip next season = ???????? 

I can’t see any of the front 3 leaving while Klopp is here.  If they’ve got any sense, which they clearly have, they will look at how Coutinho was treated and how nearly every player who heads to Real is treated.  We will win another European Cup while Klopp is here as well and the players will be thinking that.

We are at a point where we are so good that the fringe players are happy to just be a part of it.  I can’t see there being many big changes.

22 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Keita this season = Matip last season 

Keita next season = Matip this season 

Matip next season = ???????? 

If this is one of those IQ tests, I think the answer is "Keita last season". 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

We'd be mad to sell any of our top players unless they wanted to leave. Success this season might lead to one or two getting itchy feet mind, players who earn top dollar wherever they go also want to prove they can do it in other leagues. As much as it pains me to say it you also have to factor in the Brexit fiasco, because however it pans out you'll see a rise in racism and a lot of that will find its way to the terraces across the country, not the ideal climate to play in as a foreigner. 

Yeah I'd be really weary of breaking up that front three just to "freshen things up", especially given they should be able to maintain current levels for at least a couple more seasons before age starts becoming a concern. If it ain't broke etc.