You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

Keita’s never gonna settle here. He’ll be gone next summer. Shame but we’ve had enough with Sturridge and Lallana over these last few years to have players lighting up the treatment room instead of on the pitch. 

We've been unlucky yes but there's definitely a player with Keita and we don't know yet that he'll end up like that. 

Shaqiri, Lovren, Clyne and Lallana are the only players (that have played more than a handful of games for us) that'll leave the club in the next two transfers windows.

Can't see Klopp giving up on Keita yet, nor can I see Edwards selling him when his stock couldn't possibly be lower.

3 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

We've been unlucky yes but there's definitely a player with Keita and we don't know yet that he'll end up like that. 

I just don’t think he’s got the fight in him to be the success we thought he’d be. Seems to be a shy kid and picks up to many none serious injuries to make me feel he’ll be the answer. Think this leagues just not suited to him. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Proceeds from Keita + c£30m would give us Maddison I reckon, and I think that would be a good deal.

That’s reactionary bullshit. Sorry. Keita has far greater pedigree and ability, keita plus 30m for Maddison is a bad joke

I can see a major investment to rebuild our midfield and front line next summer with a few more outs than we think. Although I’d like to see Milner stay, he’s not gonna accept less than £100k pwk at this stage of his career. I can see hendo and one of gini / ox going too. Salah will go if the rumours of sancho already lined up are true as he's not coming here to sit on the bench and I don’t think Mo will hit the heights of his first season here again so ideal time to get the big money. Klopp saying that last summer wasn’t the window we would be going big was a big clue to next season. 

Grujic will come back if he has a successful season with Hertha Berlin so will be the cliched "like a new signing".

I read before that Bruno Fernandes has scored 8 goals and has had as many assists this season already. Plus he slagged off all his team mates for lack of effort so will probably be leaving. Probably will be cheaper in January than the 53m they wanted in the summer.

2 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Origi has been absolutely fucking ace every time he's come on this season, by his standards at least. I've actually been impressed with his touch and directness. I think he has a very distinct role in the squad now, which is to leg it up and down the left wing and use his height and power to be somewhat of a target man.

I think origi has become the bloke to win us corners and we're starting to look pretty dangerous from corners, so he brings value. I don't really see what else he does to be honest. Just runs at his man, wins a corner!

40 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I just don’t think he’s got the fight in him to be the success we thought he’d be. Seems to be a shy kid and picks up to many none serious injuries to make me feel he’ll be the answer. Think this leagues just not suited to him. 

I reckon that's spot on. He doesn't look interested in getting kicked and as soon as someone kicks him, he's looking at the bench to get out. 

35 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I can see a major investment to rebuild our midfield and front line next summer with a few more outs than we think. Although I’d like to see Milner stay, he’s not gonna accept less than £100k pwk at this stage of his career. I can see hendo and one of gini / ox going too. Salah will go if the rumours of sancho already lined up are true as he's not coming here to sit on the bench and I don’t think Mo will hit the heights of his first season here again so ideal time to get the big money. Klopp saying that last summer wasn’t the window we would be going big was a big clue to next season. 

That's quite a dramatic vision of the future. I'm not sure what the impetus for this radical "rebuilding" is, especially when I look at the table. 

59 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Keita can come good, he took part in over 30 games for us last season despite bad luck with injury. That twat in charge of Guinea fucked him over in the summer.

He is not in their current squad I just read. 

I love naby and Im hoping he gets the chance to show people how good a player he really is. He's a class player but isn't having the best of luck since he's been. 

33 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think origi has become the bloke to win us corners and we're starting to look pretty dangerous from corners, so he brings value. I don't really see what else he does to be honest. Just runs at his man, wins a corner!

He's good on the left wing with his directness running against tired defenders and his crossing has been decent. That's all you really need from a sub, to be a factor. And he has been.

The only thing is, I wish we would target him in the box with some crosses because on paper his height and aerial ability coming in from the left vs. full backs should be a mismatch.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

He's obviously a mile off the quality of the front three.    We need much better to push on. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Shaqiri, Lovren, Clyne and Lallana are the only players (that have played more than a handful of games for us) that'll leave the club in the next two transfers windows.

Can't see Klopp giving up on Keita yet, nor can I see Edwards selling him when his stock couldn't possibly be lower.

Agreed with the top part, though Milner may go due to FSG's penny pinching around contracts (depends how much Klopp wants his presence in the dressing room, he would be a great addition to the coaching staff- if he wants it).

The only thing that concerns me with Keita were the reports that he hadn't even bothered to learn a lick of English when he turned up to the club even though he knew he was coming here ages ago, that smacks of rank amateurism and a bad attitude if true. Also I worried a bit that his stature would make it difficult for him to excel in the premier league. Keita has actually been quite fortunate, had the rest of the team not been so good he would be on the end of some serious opprobrium given his price tag.

I wonder if a back up to Robertson will be sought or whether they are leaving the position free for Larouci, Hoover or another youngster to step-up.

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's good on the left wing with his directness running against tired defenders and his crossing has been decent. That's all you really need from a sub, to be a factor. And he has been.

The only thing is, I wish we would target him in the box with some crosses because on paper his height and aerial ability coming in from the left vs. full backs should be a mismatch.

The problem with subs, they can often find for months in a season they'll be starters if there's injuries. I don't want to see origi needing to start 10 or 12 games on the bounce. 

Aside the height thing. I think he's neither aggressive enough or smart enough. He only seems to get into dangerous areas aerially on set pieces. That back post role doesn't need the biggest, it just needs someone who's smart enough and wants the goals. 

10 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Agreed with the top part, though Milner may go due to FSG's penny pinching around contracts (depends how much Klopp wants his presence in the dressing room, he would be a great addition to the coaching staff- if he wants it).

The only thing that concerns me with Keita were the reports that he hadn't even bothered to learn a lick of English when he turned up to the club even though he knew he was coming here ages ago, that smacks of rank amateurism and a bad attitude if true. Also I worried a bit that his stature would make it difficult for him to excel in the premier league. Keita has actually been quite fortunate, had the rest of the team not been so good he would be on the end of some serious opprobrium given his price tag.

I wonder if a back up to Robertson will be sought or whether they are leaving the position free for Larouci, Hoover or another youngster to step-up.

I'm similarly concerned. I just think that considering he was so good in Germany Klopp won't bin him off lightly. Also, as I said, the timing of getting rid would make Edwards wince. There would need to be some shop windowing, if only briefly here or out on loan, before we sold him.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

If Monaco offer around the £33m they allegedly offered in September I reckon he will be sold. 

Clyne will still be injured after January and I think his contract runs out in the summer.

We might get about £10m for Lovren if he wants to leave. Doubt we will get much for Lallana. 

Got a few players who are permanently on loan like Awoniyi, Woodburn and Wilson. Also Chrivella, if we can remember to register him. 

7 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The problem with subs, they can often find for months in a season they'll be starters if there's injuries. I don't want to see origi needing to start 10 or 12 games on the bounce. 

Aside the height thing. I think he's neither aggressive enough or smart enough. He only seems to get into dangerous areas aerially on set pieces. That back post role doesn't need the biggest, it just needs someone who's smart enough and wants the goals. 

I think he's more useful than Shaqiri. If we sell and improve on 1 of those 2, it will be him rather than Origi. He's just a better fit tactically and for this squad.

11 minutes ago, paddyberger said:

Sounds as much sense as Hendo plus cash for Dempsey. 

At the time Hendo was in his early 20s and Dempsey was a mediocre journeyman in his late 20s. James Maddison is one of the brightest young British talents at the moment and a couple of years younger than Keita.

13 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

At the time Hendo was in his early 20s and Dempsey was a mediocre journeyman in his late 20s. James Maddison is one of the brightest young British talents at the moment and a couple of years younger than Keita.

I don’t disagree he’s talented, I just don’t see where he fits in to the squad and formation we play. He doesn’t look like he can play 90 minutes either.