You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

9 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

But keita doesn't get a game, so he's taking his place on the treatment table?! I'm not convinced he's great in that position either. I think he plays his best stuff as a 10, he looks pretty ordinary otherwise (like Saturday for example where the only think I thought he stood out for was his moaning). 

His spot in the squad I meant. I’m guessing he’d play the role a bit like De Bruyne against teams sitting deep. Even as a number 10 in some games, in a 4-2-3-1. So assuming we won’t be extending Lallana’s and Milner’s contracts, we could put out three out of Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Ox, Maddison. I don’t think that’s over the top. 

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

His spot in the squad I meant. I’m guessing he’d play the role a bit like De Bruyne against teams sitting deep. Even as a number 10 in some games, in a 4-2-3-1. So assuming we won’t be extending Lallana’s and Milner’s contracts, we could put out three out of Fabinho, Henderson, Gini, Ox, Maddison. I don’t think that’s over the top. 

We don't do a lot of 4231 though. Klopp played it a couple of times last year, it doesn't seem to be  something he wants to play. This is what I mean by us having to change to accommodate him. Klopp has not wanted to do it for Shaq, so Shaq barely gets a minute, I just don't see us paying major money for a player we need to adapt to. 

4 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Maddison is good and would be an excellent addition to the team but it's academic where he would slot in as a) Leicester wont sell him and January b) If he were to move then other much more desperate clubs would pay more than he's worth to us.

as blatant a come-and-get-me plea as it gets IMO.

• Upvote 1

My only concern is back up for the front three. In an ideal world I'd love us to bring in somebody in January as back up. I know it's hard but I don't know how we'd cope with a long term injury to the current front three. Looking at our options right now:

Origi has been absolutely fucking ace every time he's come on this season, by his standards at least. I've actually been impressed with his touch and directness. I think he has a very distinct role in the squad now, which is to leg it up and down the left wing and use his height and power to be somewhat of a target man.

Shaq...sigh. Low expectations because I don't think players can spend this long out the first team and make an impact when being put in.

Ox...sigh again. Very underwhelmed with every performance this season

Brewster...see Ox.

However, I think Elliot is cheekily going to make a few appearances off the bench this season and by January, may even be a viable option.

50 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

He can play attacking CM and No 10. He’d just replace Keita’s role basically, with added set piece ability, assists and goals. Say we manage to sell Keita to Bayern or Dortmund in the summer for cost price; c£50m, we’d only need to add £20-£30m cash, which is not huge money in the current environment. Keep in mind that we didn’t spend any cash in the last couple of windows. 

Mate, no

30 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Don’t be silly.

There really isn't a big difference between the two. Besides the fact Maddison has age on his side and Grealish plays for a worse side.

They are a similar type of player and play about the same position, although I'd argue that Grealish would be more useful because he's played deeper more often. And skill wise there's definitely not a big gap there, it's about the same level. Silly would be comparing Messi to Dybala or something like that. Maguire to van Dijk, while we're at it.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There really isn't a big difference between the two. Besides the fact Maddison has age on his side and Grealish plays for a worse side.

They are a similar type of player and play about the same position, although I'd argue that Grealish would be more useful because he's played deeper more often. And skill wise there's definitely not a big gap there, it's about the same level. Silly would be comparing Messi to Dybala or something like that. Maguire to van Dijk, while we're at it.

Maddison scored and created more goals in the PL than Grealish did in the Championship last season. It’s the equivalent of proposing to sign Boufal over Mane, or Eric Dier over Fabinho.

23 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Maddison scored and created more goals in the PL than Grealish did in the Championship last season. It’s the equivalent of proposing to sign Boufal over Mane, or Eric Dier over Fabinho.

Haha, absolutely not. Grealish has been an excellent chance creator and basically the lone one for a team with little talent for years now. He's technically very good. The way you're talking you'd think Maddison was De Bruyne.

If you're quoted 40m for Grealish or 80m for Maddison I know which one I'm pulling the trigger on (It's Grealish, obviously), but if it's any comfort to you I wouldn't sign either. And that's kind of the point; Maddison isn't worth that kind of fee based on his talent and the opportunity cost.

I don't think we desperately need to sign anyone. In terms of the front three I think Origi is a fine squad player who can support them. 

I'm always a bit worried about the left back position. I would have loved to sign Tierney as a squad player but that ship has sailed. 

I know Milner can do a job there but Milner might not be at the club all that much longer (sadly). I don't think Larouci can come in. Its a position I think Jurgen will be thinking about. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Haha, absolutely not. Grealish has been an excellent chance creator and basically the lone one for a team with little talent for years now. He's technically very good. The way you're talking you'd think Maddison was De Bruyne.

If you're quoted 40m for Grealish or 80m for Maddison I know which one I'm pulling the trigger on (It's Grealish, obviously), but if it's any comfort to you I wouldn't sign either. And that's kind of the point; Maddison isn't worth that kind of fee based on his talent and the opportunity cost.

Proceeds from Keita + c£30m would give us Maddison I reckon, and I think that would be a good deal.

• Downvote 4