You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

On 21/09/2019 at 10:41, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Also linked with David Tavares from Benfica.

Apparently he first impressed our bootroom team when he played against us in a behind closed doors friendly earlier in the year.

I understand though that they then took away the music, which was the only thing he had, so he is no longer interested.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, UnwelcomeinPeru said:

I understand though that they then took away the music, which was the only thing he had, so he is no longer interested.

The love we never had. 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, moof said:

We should set up a feeder club deal with Salzburg. Their scouting and development seems at a pretty high level. Could’ve saved us a few mil with Sadio and naby

Not sure Red Bull Leipzig would be happy with that

3 hours ago, moof said:

We should set up a feeder club deal with Salzburg. Their scouting and development seems at a pretty high level. Could’ve saved us a few mil with Sadio and naby

The reason their scouting and development seems at a pretty high level is because they essentially use the same system we have set up. Ask any analytics person who has the best run recruitment in the world and they'll inevitably list Liverpool and the Red Bull family of clubs among the top names.

In fact, I think I remember a podcast with one of the analytics people who does some public-sided work and he said one of the most frustrating things about his job is that any time the data flagged up a top prospect to check out, he would invariably find out they were already on a pre-contract with one of the Red Bull clubs.

And then, of course, we can't "set up a feeder club deal" with Salzburg because the main reason Salzburg exist is to feed players to RB Leipzig.

Austrian teams and start up German clubs loaded with energy juice money can afford to take punts on low risk players who have a potential high ceiling and small fee. If we buy players it's basically kids or players who can make an immediate impact. We don't seem interested in throwing the dice all that much. I imagine under our current regime we'd rather let players prove themselves at higher levels before we make our move. It's cheaper to buy one proven Sadio Mane at £35m than five £10m punts.

22 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Depends if you're basing the resemblance on actual likeness or if you're basing it on colour/race. It's not hard.

The difficult part might be how you decide, some people are just shit at facial recognition. 

I was at the game and not close enough to be able to judge who he looked like, if this is him them he looks fuck all like Son. I still wouldn't call someone a racist if they said he did though. 

3500.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma

But yeah, we should look at a cheeky bid for Vardy who bears a strong resemblance to Steptoe. 

1 hour ago, φαίνω said:

Screen-Shot-2018-07-27-at-2.05.21-PM-1-7

Is this racist? Why can't people just bear a striking resemblance to someone else. Do only white people have this resemblance thing, because that would be pretty racist if we do.

Do you think Hwang bears a striking resemblance to Son?

18 minutes ago, φαίνω said:

Not in the slightest, but then I have very good facial recognition. I wouldn't call someone a racist because they did though. 

With all due respect, chances are that you’re probably average, and you don’t have to be very good at this made-up ‘skill’ to tell that the only thing similar between him and Son is that they’re both East Asian. 

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

With all due respect, chances are that you’re probably average, and you don’t have to be very good at this made-up ‘skill’ to tell that the only thing similar between him and Son is that they’re both East Asian. 

No I'm classed as exceptional in facial recognition, take part in trials with several universities including Greenwich University. I rank in the top 100 of people ever to take their tests. If I chose to move down south given my employment history I could if I wanted seek employment in that field. But that just means that I see less likeness in faces than 99% of the population. A quick google search will send you to their basic tests, if you're any good they send you regular tests, with some referrals to other researchers around the world. 

https://www.superrecognisers.com/take-part

It's hereditary not made up. 

I don't see how any of this assumes that someone with shit skills is a racist, you are setting the bar pretty slow. Racists are fucking scumbags, I'd want a little more knowledge of them before I threw the accusation around. Bur like the word  'nazi' it seems to be the buzz word of the moment and devalues the whole thing. 

Can we get on with moaning about transfers now?

21 minutes ago, φαίνω said:

No I'm classed as exceptional in facial recognition, take part in trials with several universities including Greenwich University. I rank in the top 100 of people ever to take their tests. If I chose to move down south given my employment history I could if I wanted seek employment in that field. But that just means that I see less likeness in faces than 99% of the population. A quick google search will send you to their basic tests, if you're any good they send you regular tests, with some referrals to other researchers around the world. 

https://www.superrecognisers.com/take-part

It's hereditary not made up. 

I don't see how any of this assumes that someone with shit skills is a racist, you are setting the bar pretty slow. Racists are fucking scumbags, I'd want a little more knowledge of them before I threw the accusation around. Bur like the word  'nazi' it seems to be the buzz word of the moment and devalues the whole thing. 

Can we get on with moaning about transfers now?

The first paragraph is a quality copy pasta.