You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Transfer strategy has to be a long term plan

tlw content

4 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

I think it's grossly unfair to characterise those of us who are a little disappointed at the lack of transfer activity as hysterical fannies who want us to spend a bajillion dollars on half a dozen big names. The squad we have is a superb one. It doesn't need a major overhaul. There is just a question mark over cover for the front three and at left-back. Those aren't glaring weaknesses, but areas of minor concern which we would prefer were addressed.

The side who finished above us with the second highest points total in history and English football's first domestic treble have felt the need to add one or two faces. It's not unreasonable to raise an eyebrow when we haven't.

Good post, agree with most it. My guess would be that the hysterical fanny digs weren’t aimed at you or other posters with a reasonable argumentation behind their opinions.

I think we'll be okay - the league is probably out of reach for the time being given City's ever increasing strength, but as long as we continue to finish within the top four and make it into the latter stages of the CL, I can’t see much cause for concern. I’d prefer to see a second string out there for the Super Cup and Community Shield though. Going full strength seems like we’d be tipping our hand to rivals at an inopportune time.

10 hours ago, El Rojo said:

My main fear ahead of the new season is that we’ll start a bit flat given the huge effort that went into a season that lasted until June and the various summer tournaments that most of our key players were involved in afterwards. 

Yeah that’s my fear as well, as you say City are better equipped to absorb the International demands which will surely impact upon our start.

2 hours ago, Red74 said:

Just waiting for Timo Werner’s price to come down 

Be great to see Bayern get him for 35ml a few days before the deadline, cause that's what's happen g. That or them signing him Jan 1st on a pre contract after dozens of ITK have been told he's agreed a deal to join us

22 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

I hope he doesn't read TLW as he will see that part of the fanbase are hysterical fannies and are actually questioning our best manager for 3 decades, even after winning the European cup and coming within a whisker of beating a financially doped team who the season before hit 100 points.

I think in matter what we did this summer people were always going to complain we should have done more.

Another thing in Klopp's favour is that no one he wants is leaving/asking to leave - unlike Sane, Hazard, Trippier, Rose, Lukaku, Pogba (?)

1 hour ago, skaro said:

We need to win more and draw less, because it's a big ask to only lose once again.

30-4-4 would be great.

Could 94 win it?

Probably not given City's level last two seasons.

I can't see any reason why they will drop by 5-7 points.....as posters above said we'd need to take at least 4 pts from them.

I think 30 wins is arguably not the aim...needs to be 32 - and maybe just 2 draws and then 4 losses, which is exactly what they got last season.

Or maybe at a push 31-3-4

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

I can't see any reason why they will drop by 5-7 points.....as posters above said we'd need to take at least 4 pts from them.

I agree(d).

14 minutes ago, skaro said:

Well at least 4 points off them, yes.

As for them dropping 5-7 points, maybe they will... because if they're deep into the ECL - and rabid to win - I simply can't see them ending the season with 15 straight League wins again.

Something will have to give, and they'll be determined it ain't Europe this time.

I know City are really, really good and cheats and all that... but if we make as a good start as last season - playing well - the psychological pressure will be on City much earlier than Christmas.  

Anything 90 or more might do it.

I think the key might be whether teams keep putting up the white flag as palpably as they did against City in those last 15 games last season.

1 minute ago, skaro said:

I know City are really, really good and cheats and all that... but if we make as a good start as last season - playing well - the psychological pressure will be on City much earlier than Christmas.  

Anything 90 or more might do it.

I think the key might be whether teams keep putting up the white flag as palpably as they did against City in those last 15 games last season.

Defo need them to drop more pts to rest of top 6...chelsea beating them aside once last season i think they won every other game v the rest.

That changing would be really handy.

Big thing they have going for them this year is a dead easy start - think they face one top 6 team in first 11 games - hopefully they slip up in that kind run ahead of when big games come.

23 minutes ago, an tha said:

I think 30 wins is arguably not the aim...needs to be 32 - and maybe just 2 draws and then 4 losses, which is exactly what they got last season.

Or maybe at a push 31-3-4

The problem with the top division now and the obvious copious amounts of money involved is that come the first game of the season only about 4/5 teams are actually genuinely trying to win it,while the rest are simply trying to survive. There is also a middle tier of teams who will try for Europe if things go well for them early season. This translates as most teams simply not even bothering to try to beat City,a few not even bothering against us either,although we are a much bigger scalp this season. This is one of the reasons I don't watch many other games apart from ours as the script is highly predictable.

Just to digress a little,I heard a point about golf recently which sort of applies to football. The authorities are clamping down the drivers they use allowing pro golfers (through manufacturing techniques) hit it ridiculously far. The reasons are a few,among them are not helping them build new courses because the price of land is so expensive and hitting it too far would make them obsolete and it not helping attract new people into the sport. Basically being against the spirit of the sport (Ironic,eh? Given how expensive golf is generally!) But my rather meandering point is that allowing City especially to circumvent rules regarding funding etc,is damaging football,in my opinion and seeing predictable outcomes is totally against any spirit of the sport. There are many more football clubs than just the PL ones and they are suffering as a result of City's blatant cheating. Even the bitters are suffering but some are too stupid to see it.