You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

1 minute ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Might that not mean he's just fast though? Like he's kicking the ball behind the player and running like fuck like I used to do when I played football because I was a fast runner and had no skill? If so that wouldn't make him the best dribbler and I don't think he is. When it comes to dribbling he's no Milan Baros (though ironically bother players have a tendency to play with their head down). 

There are many different ways to dribble the ball, yes. Buendia and Kovacic aren’t quick for example but they’re up there.

19 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Yeah for what its worth I'm in the middle about Traore. He's a great athlete and a decent footballer. I don't personally understand the super strong opinions on any side. He's a decent player and not much more with good potential if he can improve technically and tactically. 

No fucking need !

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jairzinho said:

Which is evidence of him dribbling a lot.

Fuck sake, just look at the other players in the list.

Now now, stop being elitist. Norwich's Buendia and Newcastle's Maxthingy are some of the best dribblers in Europe. Mane, on the other hand... not a mention. Must be shite at it. 

10 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Now now, stop being elitist. Norwich's Buendia and Newcastle's Maxthingy are some of the best dribblers in Europe. Mane, on the other hand... not a mention. Must be shite at it. 

Yes, or Sterling. Or Son. Etc.

The difference between those players being that they occasionally pass the ball and/or simply make considerably more good decisions on a football pitch and end up dribbling less. Not necessarily less successfully, simply less. Perhaps it's why they play for Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham. Rather than Crystal Palace, Wolves, Norwich and Newcastle.

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, or Sterling. Or Son. Etc.

Now, what is the difference between those players and the other list? Could it be that because they occasionally pass the ball and/or simply make considerably more good decisions on a football pitch that they end up dribbling less. Not necessarily less successfully, simply less. Perhaps it's why they play for Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham. Rather than Crystal Palace, Wolves, Norwich and Newcastle.

The thing to look at is dribbling success percentage, not take-on's completed. Traore is still world class in the former category and he's surrounded by players like Neymar and Messi in those rankings.

But yes, he could do with taking fewer defenders on because the hallmark of most players who are at the top of that list is that they're big fish in a small pond types. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

The thing to look at is dribbling success percentage, not take-on's completed. Traore is still world class in the former category and he's surrounded by players like Neymar and Messi in those rankings.

But yes, he could do with taking fewer defenders on because the hallmark of most players who are at the top of that list is that they're big fish in a small pond types. 

Yeah but but what about Buendia?!??

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

The thing to look at is dribbling success percentage, not take-on's completed. Traore is still world class in the former category and he's surrounded by players like Neymar and Messi.

But yes, he could do with taking fewer defenders on because the hallmark of most players who are at the top of that list are the big fish in a small pond types. 

Even dribbling success percentage won't paint an entirely accurate picture as it doesn't tell you anything about what happens next. You could successfully dribble past someone in to a worse position than had you simply passed the ball, had a shot, crossed the ball, etc. 

He's a good dribbler but, like Zaha, he does it too much. Partly because he doesn't appear to have much of a football brain, and partly because he plays for a club that doesn't have expectations beyond trying to get in to the top half. He is indulged because the alternative probably isn't any better. He couldn't do it here. He probably couldn't even do it at somewhere like Arsenal or Chelsea.

• Upvote 1

Hahahahaha! Take that, obsessed, oil soaked, human rights abusing plastic motherfuckers!

I switched over after rat boy's second goal last night, presuming it was all over and they were only going to get more. Just now opened the Echo page and saw the words 'City defeat' and was still utterly confused and not taking in what it meant. The tab on the BBC with match commentary was still open and at the top, seeing the glorious scoreline... I near shat!

Santa's just come again

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Even dribbling success percentage won't paint an entirely accurate picture as it doesn't tell you anything about what happens next. You could successfully dribble past someone in to a worse position than had you simply passed the ball, had a shot, crossed the ball, etc. 

He's a good dribbler but, like Zaha, he does it too much. Partly because he doesn't appear to have much of a football brain, and partly because he plays for a club that doesn't have expectations beyond trying to get in to the top half. He is indulged because the alternative probably isn't any better. He couldn't do it here. He probably couldn't even do it at somewhere like Arsenal or Chelsea.

Agree with that, dribbling is an action before a telling action (a final ball or a shot). It doesn't mean it will help you win a game because you're constantly beating your marker. But the point was always that players improve their end product all the time if they have the work ethic, if they're in the right situation with the right coach.

And so, if you have a player who can easily open the game up by repeatedly getting past his defender and you add the end product in, you could have something special. I've just never discounted Traore as a player who could eventually do that. Doesn't mean he'll put it all together, most don't. But I think he has more of a chance than others because he has almost no physical equal in the game.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Agree with that, dribbling is an action before a telling action (a final ball or a shot). It doesn't mean it will help you win a game because you're constantly beating your marker. But the point was always that players improve their end product all the time if they have the work ethic, if they're in the right situation with the right coach.

And so, if you have a player who can easily open the game up by repeatedly getting past his defender and you add the end product in, you could have something special. I've just never discounted Traore as a player who could eventually do that. Doesn't mean he'll put it all together, most don't. But I think he has more of a chance than others because he has almost no physical equal in the game. 

Check out the budding director of football over here.