You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

Guest Pistonbroke
14 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Its really was another "Carlsberg" football period. I mean City lost, Leicester Lost (were rather put to the sword I hear) and if you want to extend an extreme courtesy and say that Chelsea are still hyper-theoretically in the title race by dint of being 4th they also lost. 

Pretty amazing, especially when the others are supposed to be busting a gut trying to catch us. 

I don't want to jinx things but I reckon we've more or less guaranteed a top 4 finish. If we win our game in hand we'll be 25 points ahead of 5th place, has anybody cemented a CL spot in February? 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He’s a fucking brutal player. Surely him being brutally shit for years isn’t overturned by him doing a couple of good things? 

This is what I'm talking about, this ridiculous hyperbole. My point was always if someone who knows what they're doing gets their hands on him, he could be very effective because his physical gifts are freakish. This is exactly what's happening right now and if he continues the pace he's going on, he could have a 10 goal, 10 assist season in the Premier League at the age of 24. Yeah, real brutal. 

You don't have to double down, you could simply admit what is actually going on. And the patting on the back thing is a joke, my tone is obvious in the post. It's just funny how over-the-top you're being, talking about Traore as if he literally is unable to play football. It's comical, so it deserves a comical response.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

A pretty good player too! Did you get the same reaction/pushback the first time you mentioned Virgil here years ago by any chance?

I think he is shit to be honest. 

As for VVD, I couldn't tell you although I'm sure someone will have been a sanctimonious shithouse. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This is what I'm talking about, this ridiculous hyperbole. My point was always if someone who knows what they're doing gets their hands on him, he could be very effective because his physical gifts are freakish. This is exactly what's happening right now and if he continues the pace he's going on, he could have a 10 goal, 10 assist season in the Premier League at the age of 24. Yeah, real brutal. 

You don't have to double down, you could simply admit what is actually going on. And the patting on the back thing is a joke, my tone is obvious in the post. It's just funny how over-the-top you're being, talking about Traore as if he literally is unable to play football. It's comical, so it deserves a comical response.

What on Earth are you dribbling on about, stacks. You’ve just made up something that could possibly, technically happen and then dismissed him being brutal based on that fantasy. He has had a dramatic lack of end product for 6 seasons, prior to this patch where he has finally contributed for a few games, and scored a few Championship goals in his hundred plus league games to that point. His decision making has been laughably bad, virtually zero end product, and no football brain. It’ll take more than a handful of goals to make me change my mind. If he scores against us tomorrow, some people will say how amazing he is. But it’s not about a couple of games here and there, it’s about attributes. He has one. He makes Aaron Lennon look like a genius. 

3 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Yeah for what its worth I'm in the middle about Traore. He's a great athlete and a decent footballer. I don't personally understand the super strong opinions on any side. He's a decent player and not much more with good potential if he can improve technically and tactically. 

I think the strong opinions are only one way to be fair. It’s not from those think he’s a good player.

Just now, viRdjil said:

I think the only strong opinion is one way to be fair. It’s not from those think he’s a good player.

It’s not that I give a shit about the player, as we will never sign him. I do dislike somebody waiting months and months for somebody to stop being shit and do something, then bumping themselves the second they do something good, as if all the shit is washed away. It’s irksome. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It’s not that I give a shit about the player, as we will never sign him. I do dislike somebody waiting months and months for somebody to stop being shit and do something, then bumping themselves the second they do something good, as if all the shit is washed away. It’s irksome. 

I don’t know. I’ve been quite consistent with regards to Traore. I’ve mentioned it a number of times that I’m terrified of his pace, which in fairness is ridiculous. I’ve never seen anything like it. I accept that he’s still got room to improve, he could do with running with his head up a bit more, etc.

12 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What on Earth are you dribbling on about, stacks. You’ve just made up something that could possibly, technically happen and then dismissed him being brutal based on that fantasy. He has had a dramatic lack of end product for 6 seasons, prior to this patch where he has finally contributed for a few games, and scored a few Championship goals in his hundred plus league games to that point. His decision making has been laughably bad, virtually zero end product, and no football brain. It’ll take more than a handful of goals to make me change my mind. If he scores against us tomorrow, some people will say how amazing he is. But it’s not about a couple of games here and there, it’s about attributes. He has one. He makes Aaron Lennon look like a genius. 

This is a stupid argument and you're clearly a bit riled up here. What I've always said is that a good coach would probably be able to mould someone like him, with world class pace, strength and dribbling ability into something useful. And that's what's happening, he's having a good half-season under a good coach who is putting him in positions to succeed. It's about forecasting what a player could be in the right situation, not just saying "derp, derp he's fuckin shite, he runs in a straight line".

That's all it is. You're getting mad at this, for some reason. I just take offense to this myopic and stupid view that he's a terrible player, when he clearly isn't and I've outlined why above. A competent person can make something out of someone like him. 

Now, viRdgil is going a little further and wants us to sign him. Whatever, I don't agree about that now, I would've done it the summer he signed for Wolves for 20m as a bench option. I think that would have been sensible business. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe Klopp wouldn't like the way he plays, but maybe he could have been brilliant here considering what Nuno is getting out of him and how Klopp is the best in the world at developing players. 

I'm sure you'll continue to foam at the mouth at what I'm saying here, for some reason but there's nothing unreasonable being said. 

Just now, viRdjil said:

I don’t know. I’ve been quite consistent with regards to Traore. I’ve mentioned it a number of times that I’m terrified of his pace.

Yes. You have. Every single time he does something. Every one hundred attempts when it comes off, you’ll happily mention how good he is and how much you like him. The other 99 times? Nope. 

I’m just waiting for Harry Winks, who is similarly wank, to do something good in the middle of his dreadful form, then bang... told you he was great. 

18 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Traore’s far from the awful, joke footballer suggested by the hivemind on here, but I don’t think he’s good enough to trouble us either. 

He was an awful, joke footballer about 12 months ago. His recent purple patch suggests he may become a reasonable premier league forward. If he had a modicum of football intelligence he'd probably be an excellent player. However, he doesn't.

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes. You have. Every single time he does something. Every one hundred attempts when it comes off, you’ll happily mention how good he is and how much you like him. The other 99 times? Nope. 

I’m just waiting for Harry Winks, who is similarly wank, to do something good in the middle of his dreadful form, then bang... told you he was great. 

I only mention him when I watch him play Numero. I mean what’s wrong with that? I haven’t been just waiting months and months for him to do something good just to mention him to prove people wrong, that’s be ridiculous. Haha. Do you seriously think that’s what I do?

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

He was an awful, joke footballer about 12 months ago. His recent purple patch suggests he may become a reasonable premier league forward. If he had a modicum of football intelligence he'd probably be an excellent player. However, he doesn't.

He’s 23. He’s still got scope for improvements as a footballer.

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

Isn’t it pretty well known that’s he tops the take-on stats every season? There or thereabouts.

Might that not mean he's just fast though? Like he's kicking the ball behind the player and running like fuck like I used to do when I played football because I was a fast runner and had no skill? If so that wouldn't make him the best dribbler and I don't think he is. When it comes to dribbling he's no Milan Baros (though ironically bother players have a tendency to play with their head down).