You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

How many of their players get into our 11? Maybe 4, tops 5. And 1 of those we'll hopefully be poaching.

I reckon if you asked a Bayern fan they'd probably only say three or four of ours. 

The two teams are pretty even, I think. They have more variety in midfield, and we have wide forwards in their peak whilst theirs are still quite young having replaced two that had been there a decade.

Barca need to stop trying to replicate that Guardiola or first Enrique season. 

Xavi, Inesta, Villa, Puyol, Valdes, Alves etc are most likely once in a generation players. For them all to be playing all in the same side, mostly through the same youth academy, it just doesn’t happen often (a couple of Ajax sides, the mancs 1992, a couple of others...).

They need to realise they won’t be able to replicate 2006 to 2015.

They need to focus on what a football side looks like in 2020. 

Guest Alex_K
11 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I reckon if you asked a Bayern fan they'd probably only say three or four of ours. 

The two teams are pretty even, I think. They have more variety in midfield, and we have wide forwards in their peak whilst theirs are still quite young having replaced two that had been there a decade.

Well the only players I can see who were not in the squad for the 3-1 defeat we handed them on their own turf last season (where their goal was a needless own goal from Matip, and this after they put everyone behind the ball for 90 min at Anfield) are Muller (who has drifted in and out of being any good for the past few years, mostly being average) & Perisic .. that's it?  So it'd be a hard arguement to follow. Davies has obviously pushed on this year (he was in the squad last season too) but other than that hard to see the leap over us.

Lewandowski, Thiago, Davies possibly one of Goretzka/Muller would be the ones .. but again, all other than Muller were in the team or squads that played us last season and they did next to nothing again us in 180 minutes really.

8 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Well the only players I can see who were not in the squad for the 3-1 defeat we handed them on their own turf last season (where their goal was a needless own goal from Matip, and this after they put everyone behind the ball for 90 min at Anfield) are Muller (who has drifted in and out of being any good for the past few years, mostly being average) & Perisic .. that's it?  So it'd be a hard arguement to follow. Davies has obviously pushed on this year (he was in the squad last season too) but other than that hard to see the leap over us.

Lewandowski, Thiago, Davies possibly one of Goretzka/Muller would be the ones .. but again, all other than Muller were in the team or squads that played us last season.

I don't think two games are particularly reflective of much. We're a considerably better side than Atletico, after all.

A Bayern fan wouldn't be changing Alaba for Gomez, etc. Probably not even the keepers.

They'd take VVD, Mane and Salah. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Lyon overperform against very good teams and are crap against poor sides. They will have a fighting chance. 

City will hammer Lyon like they do at home in the PL. This Lyon side is poor, bad they are not very good at the back. 

24 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Jadon Sancho's agent just had an erection.

I reckon Barca will spend mad money now. Them and Real are shite right now. The pandemic made me think that 2021 would be their big summer but I reckon they will both spend big. 

Neither of them have any money. Madrid's president said they aren't buying anyone this summer because of the pandemic and Barcelona have tons of shit players on mega bucks who they eont be able to sell.

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't think two games are particularly reflective of much. We're a considerably better side than Atletico, after all.

A Bayern fan wouldn't be changing Alaba for Gomez, etc. Probably not even the keepers.

They'd take VVD, Mane and Salah. 

TAA gets in 

• Upvote 1

The players Barca bought aren't bad players, the problem is they have replaced the wrong ones. The spine of the side is old and slow. Any side with Messi, Couthino, De Jong, Griezmann and Ter Stegan should be able to compete if the rest of the side just runs around and works hard. Problem is they don't, they surround them with players lacking pace and work ethic. Long may it continue, that was marvellous. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Salah and Van Dijk, probably Mane. Id have Bayerns midfield, probably their keeper and the fullbacks are even.

3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

How many of their players get into our 11? Maybe 4, tops 5. And 1 of those we'll hopefully be poaching. We should be better all over the pitch other than centre forward & possibly midfield, but that is debatable. They didn't make us break a sweat last season.

It's actually an interesting question, but I reckon you're underestimating Bayern here.

Liverpool certs: Alisson, van Dijk, Salah, Mane

Bayern certs: Alaba, Thiago, Lewandowski

I think you could argue about the rest. I'd have it:

Alisson

TAA  Alaba  van Dijk  Davies

Fabinho  Thiago

Salah  Muller  Mane

Lewandowski

but I'm sure a Bayern fan would find a way to get Kimmich in there, either for TAA or Fabinho.

It's very close, is my point. It's a shame we got unlucky against Atletico. I would have loved to see a final between Liverpool and Bayern this season.

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

While I would like that to be true...Lyon were 7th in Ligue 1. 7th. In the French league.

2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

City will hammer Lyon like they do at home in the PL. This Lyon side is poor, bad they are not very good at the back. 

Remember the Alam...  ....sorry, remember Norwich.