You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

No one gets near city next year. I know the no fans in the stadium jokes, but the way they play footie really is tuned to that. They keep the ball in the final 3rd with runners and passers everywhere, and I think the pressure and momentum a full stadium can muster really hurts them at times as they're a bit weak. Take that out of the equation and they're almost unbeatable.

Our possession play is front to back to front to back, can be way too slow, we don't get any runners past the front 3, and balls into the box rarely have more than 2 men fighting for it. I think the fact we've had to play run-in football for pretty much 2 years, has affected the way the team plays a lot. 

5 minutes ago, Horus said:

No one gets near city next year. I know the no fans in the stadium jokes, but the way they play footie really is tuned to that. They keep the ball in the final 3rd with runners and passers everywhere, and I think the pressure and momentum a full stadium can muster really hurts them at times as they're a bit weak. Take that out of the equation and they're almost unbeatable.

Our possession play is front to back to front to back, can be way too slow, we don't get any runners past the front 3, and balls into the box rarely have more than 2 men fighting for it. I think the fact we've had to play run-in football for pretty much 2 years, has affected the way the team plays a lot. 

Although they have lost twice in empty stadiums.

Just now, TheDrowningMan said:

Although they have lost twice in empty stadiums.

They're not playing flat out, and the excuses that can be made for our (understandable) drop off can also be made for theirs. They're just tuning for the cups and still destroying pretty much everyone. 

30 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

City are fucking unbelievable at times, the way they move the ball around is phenomenal, the thought of them having a functional defence is frightening 

I mean the amount they spend, they're favourites for every trophy every season. I don't know how much more frightening they can get.  

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean the amount they spend, they're favourites for every trophy every season. I don't know how much more frightening they can get.  

Koulibaly. The CL verdict expected on Mon; if their ban is scrapped, I fully expect them to go and get the 2nd best CD in the world. 

1 minute ago, Horus said:

Koulibaly. The CL verdict expected on Mon; if their ban is scrapped, I fully expect them to go and get the 2nd best CD in the world. 

Ok, so if they sign Koulibaly they'll be favourites to win everything next season just like they were favourites to win everything this season and the one before that. Doesn't really change much. 

Guest Alex_K
47 minutes ago, Horus said:

I mean this is just full of fallacies. City've lost 9 games this year. That's more than Arsenal. More than United. More than Wolves. The same as Sheffield United. I imagine there's not a side more built than Burnley to fit this idea that empty stadiums completely upset the apple-cart of normality. And yet Burnley have been one of the most inform teams since the restart. City are "almost unbeatable" in an empty stadium .. except for the 1-in-3 league games they've lost in an empty stadium.

"They're a bit weak" .. apart from taking 198 points from 228 points in 2 seasons before this. All games played in fan-filled stadiums. They're not weak. Its just silly to say so.

You're not the first to band-wagon in this way as I remember similar posts after they beat us .. before they proceded to lose to Southampton in their next game. That was their 3rd consecutive away loss, by the way.

They turn it on game to game because that is how they are styled to play. They've lost a lot of games because its a style built on a knife edge. The older their core players get (and they are getting old, or leaving altogether) the sharper that edge becomes and the more games tilt to the wrong side of it.

Could they win the league next season? Of course they could. But to "run away with it" they need to completely revolutionise their results for better, and we need to revolutionise ours for worse. The odds of both happening at the same time, while their old squad tips while ours continues to peak? Sans injuries & huge transfer impact, not likely.

2 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

I mean this is just full of fallacies. They've lost 9 games this year. That's more than Arsenal. More than United. More than Wolves. The same as Sheffield United. I imagine there's not a side more built than Burnley to fit this idea that empty stadiums completely upset the apple-cart of normality. And yet Burnley have been one of the most inform teams since the restart.

"They're a bit weak" .. apart from taking 198 points from 228 points in 2 seasons before this. All games played in fan-filled stadiums. They're not weak. Its just silly to say so.

You're not the first to band-wagon in this way as I remember similar posts after they beat us .. before they proceded to lose to Southampton in their next game. That was their 3rd consecutive away loss, by the way.

They turn it on game to game because that is how they are styled to play. They've lost a lot of games because its a style built on a knife edge. The older their core players get (and they are getting old, or leaving altogether) the sharper that edge becomes and the more games tilt to the wrong side of it.

Could they win the league next season? Of course they could. But to "run away with it" they need to completely revolutionise their results for better, and we need to revolutionise ours for worse. The odds of both happening at the same time, while their old squads tips while ours continues to peak? Sans injuries & huge transfer impact, not likely.

I don't really appreciate the pathetic attempt to patronise. Sort your fucking attitude out and I'll happily reply to the points you've made. Stop being a cock

There was plenty of pessimism on here last summer too that we’d missed our big chance. 

Also, it’s very easy to have a big winning streak at the end of the season when there’s zero mental pressure because the title is long since gone - we did it often enough ourselves in many underwhelming races for fourth. 

Guest Alex_K
3 minutes ago, Horus said:

I don't really appreciate the pathetic attempt to patronise. Sort your fucking attitude out and I'll happily reply to the points you've made. Stop being a cock

If you are going to lay an arguement out prepare to debate it. "No one gets near City next year". A statement while we are sitting 21 points ahead of them with a team entering its prime. It is just an utterly absurd thing to say and the thoughts you've laid down to support it deserve contextualising because they are not supported by facts. If City do run away with it next year feel free to remind me.

55 minutes ago, Horus said:

Yeah but we're champions and only missed out on winning the title last year because we failed to draw at the etihad that season.

Just now, Alex_K said:

If you are going to lay an arguement out prepare to debate it. "No one gets near City next year". A statement while we are sitting 21 points ahead of them with a team entering its prime. It is just an utterly absurd thing to say and the thoughts you've laid down to support it deserve contextualising.

I've said I'll debate the points we've both made as I have no issue with that. My issue was you being a twat. For example, next year is unprecedented waters. No one has kept up this points tally for 3 seasons, so we can't even be sure how we'll do, especially as it looks like we won't be investing in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah but we're champions and only missed out on winning the title last year because we failed to draw at the etihad that season.

City with their squad investment couldn't keep this up for 3 years, so I am really interested to see how we start next season. 

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

So if city with all their money couldnt keep it up for 3 years, I dont see how or why you expect Liverpool to do so.

Expect is a weird word to use when I said it will be interesting to see how we do out the blocks, but sure.