You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

Im onside with VAR. Im not onside with how mike riley and his mates have utterly fucked up what was a tool to help refs reach the right decisions. Dont use the pitchside monitors, what's that all about?

We can dance around words like 'clear and obvious' error all we like but the fact is, VAR is intended to correct bad calls by the ref and his team on the pitch. How can anyone say that fernandes 'penalty' wasnt an error never mind 'clear and obvious'?

The 'big toe' offsides should have been anticipated by the VAR working party before the system went live.

Overall, it seems to be the more senior the match official is, the less likely a less senior VAR team are to overrule them. The fernandes decision isnt the only bad call by VAR.

Im not in agreement with ex players being involved because they would introduce bias plus, the more people you have in the decision making process, the longer it takes to reach a decision.

I dont profess to know the answers but people saying bin VAR off miss the point that the fernandes decision would still have been made and upheld. Whoever was on VAR for those games yesterday should be sanctioned because at the moment, a ref can be dropped down to the Championship due to poor performances but what are the sanctions for incompetent VAR officials?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

That’s much better. Cheers.

Okay, he’s elite on the ball. He’s a sweeper keeper, he gets the club and he’d be happy to accept playing second fiddle to Alisson. Sure he’s not what he used to be, but I think he’s a better fit to our system than Adrian.

He isn’t elite on the ball. He isn’t a sweeper keeper. He’d have a fucking aneurysm if he had to run to the edge of his area. I hate to break this to you, but it isn’t 2006 anymore. Have you seen him try to dive for a shot lately? He has the reaction time of fudge. 

You’ve made some strange suggestions in your time Code, but this is absolutely fucking stonking bonkers. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im onside with VAR. Im not onside with how mike riley and his mates have utterly fucked up what was a tool to help refs reach the right decisions. Dont use the pitchside monitors, what's that all about?

We can dance around words like 'clear and obvious' error all we like but the fact is, VAR is intended to correct bad calls by the ref and his team on the pitch. How can anyone say that fernandes 'penalty' wasnt an error never mind 'clear and obvious'?

The 'big toe' offsides should have been anticipated by the VAR working party before the system went live.

Overall, it seems to be the more senior the match official is, the less likely a less senior VAR team are to overrule them. The fernandes decision isnt the only bad call by VAR.

Im not in agreement with ex players being involved because they would introduce bias plus, the more people you have in the decision making process, the longer it takes to reach a decision.

I dont profess to know the answers but people saying bin VAR off miss the point that the fernandes decision would still have been made and upheld. Whoever was on VAR for those games yesterday should be sanctioned because at the moment, a ref can be dropped down to the Championship due to poor performances but what are the sanctions for incompetent VAR officials?

There needs to be an independent team that are completely separate to the match

day officials, it would stop a lot of the hierarchy decision making bollocks.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

That’s much better. Cheers.

Okay, he’s elite on the ball. He’s a sweeper keeper, he gets the club and he’d be happy to play second fiddle to Alisson. Sure he’s not what he used to be, but I think he’s a better fit to our system than Adrian.

He has earned enough trophies doing nowt, I would not touch him with a barge pole.

3 minutes ago, Stickman said:

#TaintedTrophy or the Asterisk Cup take your pick draw taking place 

City or Madrid will get Lille or Juventus in the quarters 

Totally tainted this year and much more relevant for an asterisk than the league that all the bitters et al keep shouting for.

They've changed the format and made last 8 and last 4 single games in neutral venues.

And clubs can name full 23 man squad and have full 12 to pick from as subs on bench - something only usually allowed in final.

It is absolutely ripe for a big fat asterisk this year and i'd say that if we were in it.

Totally tainted

City will stroll it home. Not even having to get out of fourth gear. They have two teams and can have them both ready with the 23 player squads. Only real test left is Bayern, but they haven't had a competitive game for ages when it starts.

32 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

City will stroll it home. Not even having to get out of fourth gear. They have two teams and can have them both ready with the 23 player squads. Only real test left is Bayern, but they haven't had a competitive game for ages when it starts.

Bayern’s performance against Chelsea was the best I’ve seen this season that didn’t involve us. I still reckon they can do some damage. 

4 hours ago, Johnlj said:

Although I agree about Bayern, I disagree about them strolling it. 

Assuming Juventus overcome a first leg deficit to Lyon, that’ll be tough, as will whoever the semi is again. 

If they go on to beat the Spanish, Italian, German & French champions, fair play really. 

If City get off the CL ban then FFP is dead in the water. The Saudi’s will be in at Newcastle. If Usmanov is waiting in the shadows at Everton he may as well step out because if the only consequence of a serious FFP breach is a financial penalty, then there really isn’t a consequence for the  super rich owners. We’ll have done well to get another CL and League Title under our belt.