You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why are people so confident United won't be a threat next year. They do have some excellent players and could easily go out and spend a fortune buying more in the summer. It's foolish to be dismissive of anybody. 

It's been the same ever since Ferguson has left though. They get a new manager/players and everyone thinks they'll be back and are worried about them challenging. It just hasn't transpired though, mainly due to their choice of manager. I said at the time that Moyes, LVG and Mourinho would flop for varying reasons, Solksjaer is every bit as bad as those who went before him, he'll beat the turd teams but as soon as he's up against teams who are organised he'll drop too many points because he shits the bed and reverts to parking the bus and looking for long balls. They are just lucky that those above them have slipped up and given them a chance of Cl football next season and have played dross at exactly the right time. They also seem to perform better without crowds, less pressure for their so called talent that blow hot and cold. Look at that cup game against Norwich, a bit of added pressure and they were wank. I wouldn't write them off as far as top 4 goes, but I doubt they'll be troubling City and ourselves for a few seasons yet. 

5 hours ago, Stickman said:

Deffo one for the smarmy faces to punch thread ...
Is be trying to conjure his inner Ole look there ?

WtaSqBYD_400x400.jpg

Is he the blert with the 'studio' set-up made to look like he's at the helm of the Starship Enterprise?

Guest Pistonbroke
8 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Is he the blert with the 'studio' set-up made to look like he's at the helm of the Starship Enterprise?

Indeed he is. I preferred him when he looked like he was on the line to the Samaritans. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Why are people so confident United won't be a threat next year. They do have some excellent players and could easily go out and spend a fortune buying more in the summer. It's foolish to be dismissive of anybody. 

I dont think united will challenge for the title next season. They have a tactically inept manager despite the good players they may have. I see them pretty much as were were through the 90's until around 2015 when Jurgen arrived.

They have a top notch keeper who's making the kind of gaffes Mingolet and previous keepers made. They have a couple of players who dont really want to be there, Pogba in particular.

They have some hungry young players in Rashford and one or two others. These will get you so far in the league. They may win a cup or two in the next few years, pretty much how we used to and comfort themselves they're still relevant. But win the league? Nah, you need more than hungry young players.

You need unity, strength of belief and a manager who knows what he's doing.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think united will challenge for the title next season. They have a tactically inept manager despite the good players they may have. I see them pretty much as were were through the 90's until around 2015 when Jurgen arrived.

They have a top notch keeper who's making the kind of gaffes Mingolet and previous keepers made. They have a couple of players who dont really want to be there, Pogba in particular.

They have some hungry young players in Rashford and one or two others. These will get you so far in the league. They may win a cup or two in the next few years, pretty much how we used to and comfort themselves they're still relevant. But win the league? Nah, you need more than hungry young players.

You need unity, strength of belief and a manager who knows what he's doing.

7EA26248-F80D-464B-BE16-3D3D1B86D63B.png

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

Jürgen Klopp and Ralph Hassenhüttl were on the same course when they earned their coaching badges. 

The way he has turned them around after being thumped 9-0 by Leicester is remarkable, the sign of a good manager as many would have crumbled.

• Like 1

Guest Alex_K
32 minutes ago, Elite said:

The way he has turned them around after being thumped 9-0 by Leicester is remarkable, the sign of a good manager as many would have crumbled.

Exactly - remarkable is the right word. They’ve been one of the best teams in the division since that day. He’s got an enormous lot out of very little there. The players deserve a lot of credit too for grinding it back into contention. Meanwhile sides like Norwich and Bournemouth have folded like a cheap pack of cards.

Guest Alex_K

The only threat to us next season is ourselves. By which I mean we need to fall off significantly to let others get into contention. United are not going to morph from a 70 point team to a 90 point team. There are at least 4 weak positions in that team still and there’s not a lot under the bonnet.

6 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They have already started the revolution by signing a new contract with the soon to be 32 year old Nemanja Matic - locking down this silky midfield lynchpin until he will be 35.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I see them pretty much as were were through the 90's until around 2015 when Jurgen arrived.

You see them winning the CL??

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, Elite said:

He said himself he was surprised that he wasn't fired and thought at the time it would have been the right decision to take if the owners had gone down that route. Kudos to Southampton for sticking by him and the players for buying into his tactics and turning things around. As I said earlier, they are even quicker than ourselves at closing the opposition down when they lose the ball. I watched a documentary years ago (German TV) about him, Klopp and a few young German managers where they used the training course they were on to get their coaching badges to experiment on such tactics and other tactics previously not thought of. It has certainly paid dividends and changed the whole aspect of how a midfield/forwards works in a 4-3-3. 

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

Ben Woodbourne just came on as a last minute sub presumably to take a penalty for Oxford against Pompey. A sub for Oxford is not what was envisaged for him.

He was the new Ryan Giggs at one point. And not because he shags his brothers wife and pretends to be injured for Wales games. 

Surely he will get sold/let go in the summer. 

21 minutes ago, No2 said:

Ben Woodbourne just came on as a last minute sub presumably to take a penalty for Oxford against Pompey. A sub for Oxford is not what was envisaged for him.

Well he scored the pen. That said, I didnt buy into the hype about Woodburn when I saw him play for us a few times. But good luck to him. Hope he makes a career out of the game.