You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

30 years to the day of the England v West Germany semi final. It doesn't seem that long ago, but at the same time feels a lifetime ago, if that makes sense. I wonder if Barnes hadn't been injured he might have made a difference? England were pretty lucky to get past Belgium and Cameroon if I remember right. 

Still, I was ten at the time and enjoyed the tournament a lot. 

I think whats interesting is how beneficial it has been for some teams after lockdown. Man United, Arsenal and Man City have all been in good form as have Everton and Newcastle. Before the banning of crowds those teams were having ups and downs. Especially when the crowd gets nervous or impatient, well none of those teams have had to deal with that.

On the flip side, teams that respond well to crowds, us, Wolves, Sheff Utd and Palace have been a bit inconsistent.

17 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I wonder if Barnes hadn't been injured he might have made a difference? E

Not with that statue in goal

The prick actually thought if he waited till the Germans took the pen he could see which way it was going and save it.

The cunt got lobbed 3 yards off his line, 4 years after getting outjumped by a 5'5 midget

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
19 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I think whats interesting is how beneficial it has been for some teams after lockdown. Man United, Arsenal and Man City have all been in good form as have Everton and Newcastle. Before the banning of crowds those teams were having ups and downs. Especially when the crowd gets nervous or impatient, well none of those teams have had to deal with that.

On the flip side, teams that respond well to crowds, us, Wolves, Sheff Utd and Palace have been a bit inconsistent.

This is a very tinted way of looking at things. Arsenal have won 2, lost 3. Wolves have won 3, lost 1.

United have played well, but they've also played dirge like Bournemouth Norwich & Brighton. We put in one of our best performances of the season against Palace. City obviously had a huge result against us (would take no conclusions from that given the circumstances), but lost the week before. Not enough games to make firm conclusions.

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

This is a very tinted way of looking at things. Arsenal have won 2, lost 3. Wolves have won 3, lost 1.

United have played well, but they've also played dirge like Bournemouth Norwich & Brighton. We put in one of our best performances of the season against Palace. City obviously had a huge result against us (would take no conclusions from that given the circumstances), but lost the week before. Not enough games to make firm conclusions.

Arsenal won three and lost 2 and one of those was to man City. I think the crowd can play its part though, especially at Old Toilet and Emirates. No one makes a noise at the Etihad so no difference!

Guest Alex_K
3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Arsenal won three and lost 2 and one of those was to man City. I think the crowd can play its part though, especially at Old Toilet and Emirates. No one makes a noise at the Etihad so no difference!

Sorry yes you're right, won 3 lost 2. They still look very delicate but today was clearly a very good performance. Agree the crowd plays its part but hesistant to attribute too much influence to that yet on results so far. Don't think there've been too many out of the ordinary results.

3 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Yes, saw that, what memories! First time in years I saw my flag in the crowd at the Parc des Prince in ‘81! Can show the kids now as we recorded it (I know it’s sad, my lad was 2, my daughter wasn’t born). The same flag was hung out of the bedroom window, with our scarves  on the Thursday city lost and we were confirmed as CHAMPIONS!

Superb that mate 

4 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Yes, saw that, what memories! First time in years I saw my flag in the crowd at the Parc des Prince in ‘81! Can show the kids now as we recorded it (I know it’s sad, my lad was 2, my daughter wasn’t born). The same flag was hung out of the bedroom window, with our scarves  on the Thursday city lost and we were confirmed as CHAMPIONS!

That's not sad at all, mate. Don't be afraid to post a pic for us.

Guest Alex_K

Amusing how some players really turn it on when the incentives are right. Willian busting a gut for that new contract 

1 hour ago, Byrnie said:

That's not sad at all, mate. Don't be afraid to post a pic for us.

7D31A0FD-7B4E-4374-B4D1-5FB6ABD13777.jpeg

There you go Byrnie. Got offered 100 Francs for it the morning after in Paris, not sure what that was worth at the time, but no chance of me selling it, then met Sammy Lee walking around with his girlfriend. He was sound, stopped for a chat no problem.

That flag (like my scarf) has now been to more EC/ CL finals than any Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton or Man City fans have combined!

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, coachpotato said:

7D31A0FD-7B4E-4374-B4D1-5FB6ABD13777.jpeg

There you go Byrnie. Got offered 100 Francs for it the morning after in Paris, not sure what that was worth at the time, but no chance of me selling it, then met Sammy Lee walking around with his girlfriend. He was sound, stopped for a chat no problem.

That flag (like my scarf) has now been to more EC/ CL finals than any Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton or Man City fans have combined!

Absolutely brilliant mate. Love it!!

Guest Alex_K
41 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Not really studied him in detail , but got the impression he was always a trier?

I think he probably does when he's so inclined; he's part of that Chelsea core who'd win the title one season and look great then implode the next. This is his most 'productive' (goals/assists) season yet though (scoring almost weekly at the moment), which given he's 32 in a couple of weeks seems to time pretty well with his contract coming up for expiry.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Swansea really don't create much for him either, from what I've seen.

I think we could do with a different kind of striker for the bench who puts the ball in the net and isnt too bothered about marks for artistic impression.