You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

On 28/05/2020 at 21:57, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Watching the England v Germany Euro 96 semi on ITV. What a game Babbel had. Shearer in his back pocket for pretty much 120 mins. Ziege was boss too.

Great German team. Sammer was my favourite.

England were a good side too and probably should have won the game/tournament.

I watched that game on ITV Player yesterday. England absolutely should have won the whole thing but as usual bottled it. Southgate was superb in that game as well. Ince is a horrible little charlatan. Cant believe we had that fucking weapon at this club. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I watched that game on ITV Player yesterday. England absolutely should have won the whole thing but as usual bottled it. Southgate was superb in that game as well. Ince is a horrible little charlatan. Cant believe we had that fucking weapon at this club. 

I doubt we'll ever see England win a major tournament. The Spurs of international football, just never get over the line when it matters.

2 hours ago, Elite said:

I doubt we'll ever see England win a major tournament. The Spurs of international football, just never get over the line when it matters.

50 years ago this weekend Mexico 70 kicked off, I know some will disagree  an article in the Times said the football on show was terrific and football had changed so much in 4 years since the 66 tournament with colour TV   the colour of Brazil, no orange ball, the Bobby Moore incident, Banks taken ill, El Salvador refusing to kick off after conceding, the sideshows apart from the memorable football on show all caught the imagination of some that might not of been so interested. 

It quotes Hugh Mcillvanney about Peles pass to Alberto, " with the relaxed precision of a lawn bowler, and a modern footballer in Cantona" I will never find the difference between Pele's pass to Alberto and the poetry of young Rimbaud, which I'm lost on that one. 

For me though at 11 years old it will always be the time I thought about footy away from LFC, there was something about Mexico 70, all the ingredients where there. 

And like they showed about 20 years on TV the different World Cup tournaments,  I could watch every game from it now, its a pity some of it hasn't been shown. 

England's last team that where very good and had every chance, some say they  might of gone further if Peter Thompson was on the pitch, I can't think who's comment it was but he's probably right

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Elite said:

Wouldn't be sure on that. 

I don't want it to happen because I don't want the joy it will bring to the knuckle dragging clowns that travel with the team. The irony of them cheering on a team of black players while chanting the normal vile shite they do will be ironic at best. But this young team they have now is very good. Always need a bit of luck but the attacking talent is there and with the right approach could easily win something. I think the Euros going back a year will help them as both Rashford and Kane would have been not 100% this summer

17 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Carlos Alberto's goal in the 70 final is an absolute masterpiece!

As it was said Alberto, like a fast bowler on his long run suddenly comes into the picture and fuck off, get hold of that. 

There's a great picture of him running behind the goal.., Italians on the deck and all the camera flashes. 

Some spectacle

21 hours ago, easytoslip said:

50 years ago this weekend Mexico 70 kicked off, I know some will disagree  an article in the Times said the football on show was terrific and football had changed so much in 4 years since the 66 tournament with colour TV   the colour of Brazil, no orange ball, the Bobby Moore incident, Banks taken ill, El Salvador refusing to kick off after conceding, the sideshows apart from the memorable football on show all caught the imagination of some that might not of been so interested. 

It quotes Hugh Mcillvanney about Peles pass to Alberto, " with the relaxed precision of a lawn bowler, and a modern footballer in Cantona" I will never find the difference between Pele's pass to Alberto and the poetry of young Rimbaud, which I'm lost on that one. 

For me though at 11 years old it will always be the time I thought about footy away from LFC, there was something about Mexico 70, all the ingredients where there. 

And like they showed about 20 years on TV the different World Cup tournaments,  I could watch every game from it now, its a pity some of it hasn't been shown. 

England's last team that where very good and had every chance, some say they  might of gone further if Peter Thompson was on the pitch, I can't think who's comment it was but he's probably right

I was 10 , easy, and still remember the elation when my mum gave in and allowed me to sit up late and watch the games. It will always hold number one spot in my memory. The colours, the excitement, the goals, the superstars. It was a magical time.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I was 10 , easy, and still remember the elation when my mum gave in and allowed me to sit up late and watch the games. It will always hold number one spot in my memory. The colours, the excitement, the goals, the superstars. It was a magical time.

Yes, we've all had great moments through the years but Mexico 70 was something else away from LFC, its when I realised the World Cup was a festival of football and when I see excerpts I just want to be that kid again in that summer, getting on the field with your mates for a game, bagsying whoever, yes a magical time for sure. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Haha, yes, fuzzy pictures and the commentary was like listening to a telephone call. Nothing like today with crystal clear pictures and commentary as if the fella was sat next to you on the couch! But it was boss, well all except when England threw away a 2 nil lead over West Germany in the quarters!

• Upvote 1

Not so sure about the fuzzy pictures but the commentary was definitely like that, but in a way it added to the attraction if you like.

They reckon taking Charlton off was a mistake? Franny Lee says it still irks him, while not being very flattering towards Bonetti as the 3 goals where concerned. 

Gerd Muller. 

23 hours ago, easytoslip said:

That tournament certainly has an aura about it. Pure magic. 

Speaking of watching old games I watched extended highlights of our game against st etiene recently . Sounds a bit mad but I felt like I had travelled through time. So different than watching just the goals on vhs as a kid. Seeing all these legends actually playing and battling for the team. And Anfield as it was. So glad we didn’t move from there.

• Upvote 1

Mexico 1970 remains the only time there hasn't been a single red card at a World Cup. It's strange because, as with every other World Cup, there must have been some shithousery and woeful officiating too.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Mexico 1970 remains the only time there hasn't been a single red card at a World Cup. It's strange because, as with every other World Cup, there must have been some shithousery and woeful officiating too.

It was the first time red and yellow cards where used, there was a particular woeful decision to allow Mexico a goal against El Salvador, apparently when the ball was placed on the centre spot for them to kick off again they kept kicking it away, and as it was close to half time the Ref decided the best course of action was to blow for half time, I wonder how that would go down today? 

Didn't El Salvador and Honduras go to war after, maybe 69 so plenty of shithousery there I expect. 

It's always been there, was it Portugal who kicked Pele out of the 66 tournament? 

• Upvote 1

Also on the old tournaments and away games in Europe, I love how the commentator sounds proper muffled, like he’s in the middle of nowhere where they barely have transmission. Makes crucial away goals seem so cool and important.

i read recently that Barry Davies used to do it by phone. Does anyone know if that’s true?

• Upvote 1

Dont remember too much thuggery about 1970 , but even at League level in England it was very difficult to get sent off without committing a criminal offence at that time. The strange thing was that Brazil were a beautiful side and probably the best international side ever, yet within 4 years had become a shower of mediocre cloggers in Germany.

13 hours ago, sir roger said:

Dont remember too much thuggery about 1970 , but even at League level in England it was very difficult to get sent off without committing a criminal offence at that time. The strange thing was that Brazil were a beautiful side and probably the best international side ever, yet within 4 years had become a shower of mediocre cloggers in Germany.

You could say that they play on a name as many footballers do, at the time of the France v Brazil final 98 a lad said Brazil will win this, thinking its Brazil the name, not giving a thought about France, it was France for me as I picked my winnings. 

As World Cup teams go its hard to get past West Germany / Germany as the best on average throughout the years, and yet weren't Poland in the most semis? 

52 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

You could say that they play on a name as many footballers do, at the time of the France v Brazil final 98 a lad said Brazil will win this, thinking its Brazil the name, not giving a thought about France, it was France for me as I picked my winnings. 

As World Cup teams go its hard to get past West Germany / Germany as the best on average throughout the years, and yet weren't Poland in the most semis? 

They've reached the semis twice in their history (1974 and 1982), winning the Third Place match on both occasions. Other than that, they've been shit.

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Mexico '86 was the last magical World Cup. It's been diminishing returns since then.

My favourite one, some of the games, might be highlights were on in the afternoon then I'd just go straight down to the field at the bottom of the road and play footy for ages.