You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

4 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, they have. And the team 10 and 12 points respectively behind them beat us last week. A team one point ahead of Getafe.

Anyone that watched Bayern tear Chelsea limb from limb on Tuesday could presumably make similar comments about the Premier League. But basing stuff like this on one game would obviously be a bit stupid.

What has happened with La Liga is actually quite similar to the Premier League. All the big teams are in transition (bar us) and some of the smaller teams have improved a bit (Getafe, Real Sociedad, Villarreal, Leicester, Wolves, Sheffield United - these aren't great teams by any stretch, but games against them are no longer a walk in the park for teams that should be above them).

Who are the really good teams in any leagues? Us and...maybe Bayern. Although they're not exactly miles ahead of Leipizig and Dortmund in their own league. Lazio and Inter have improved to challenge Juventus, but neither are great sides. Ligue 1 is still poor bar PSG, which is part of the reason they fuck up in Europe every year.

We seem to be at something of a general malaise in Europe's top leagues. Thankfully, we're the outlier. We're the one club doing everything right.

The Bundesliga seems like the healthiest league competitively this season. A very strong Bayern. A Dortmund team that seems on the verge of greatness if they can keep their young stars. Leipzig have a tremendous coach and are only a hair behind Dortmund and Bayern, I would say. Leverkusen are quite decent and are making a good Europa League run. 

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Bundesliga seems like the healthiest league competitively this season. A very strong Bayern. A Dortmund team that seems on the verge of greatness if they can keep their young stars. Leipzig have a tremendous coach and are only a hair behind Dortmund and Bayern, I would say. Leverkusen are quite decent and are making a good Europa League run. 

Yeah, I agree. Very strong top three, with Leverkusen and also Gladbach as well. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Wolfsburg and Frankfurt go far in the Europa league.

It always seems the most balanced league between technical, physical and tactical aspects of the game.

It helps that most of the clubs aren't complete basket cases. Certainly in comparison to clubs in other top leagues.

Fucking Germans, organising things well.

The Ramos sending off was a bit harsh. Jesus fell the second Ramos breathed on him. Divers like Jesus are stupid and would prefer to go down to win a penalty or get a player sent off rather than stay on their feet and try to actually score. Having said that Ramos is a prick so glad he got done, and if he intended to stop Jesus from scoring by foul means, he certainly succeeded. Won't make a difference either way, City are going to hammer them in the return leg. Maybe Ramos suspects as much and just wants to avoid getting humiliated at the Etihad and figured it's better to miss the game altogether.

Mitten, who extensively covers United, writes that the club sent a scout to watch the midfielder in action back in 2013, when he played for Malaga. The scout reported back that Isco's "head is too big for his body" and United decided against trying to sign him.

"Towards the end of Sir Alex Ferguson's time at Manchester United, a senior club scout was dispatched to assess Isco, then at Malaga. The player was watched several times, before the report was filed back that he wasn't considered good enough to move to Manchester United. 'He's good, but not quite quick enough and his head is too big for his body,' was the verdict on the then 21-year-old playmaker."

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

And, Gladbach is the most fun to watch of them all. Long way till then, but at this point in time, Marco Rose would be my ideal candidate to succeed Klopp. He's Jurgen's best pupil after all.

5 minutes ago, Red House said:

And, Gladbach is the most fun to watch of them all. Long way till then, but at this point in time, Marco Rose would be my ideal candidate to succeed Klopp. He's Jurgen's best pupil after all.

Yeah, Rose is getting a lot of plaudits for his style, can't say I've really watched Gladbach, though. I think Nagelsmann is still the best candidate. Remains to be seen whether he has the personality and charisma for a big club, but tactically he is so impressive. He's really evolved Leipzig from just a high tempo, pressing side into a really complete, flexible team. They are so much better in possession this season. 

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

The Ramos sending off was a bit harsh. Jesus fell the second Ramos breathed on him. Divers like Jesus are stupid and would prefer to go down to win a penalty or get a player sent off rather than stay on their feet and try to actually score. Having said that Ramos is a prick so glad he got done, and if he intended to stop Jesus from scoring by foul means, he certainly succeeded. Won't make a difference either way, City are going to hammer them in the return leg. Maybe Ramos suspects as much and just wants to avoid getting humiliated at the Etihad and figured it's better to miss the game altogether.

Ramos does that same foul all the time. Slightly clips a player but has his hands up before it happens and acts all innocent. Too many refs fall for it because "Its Ramos and Real Madrid" so they don't want to court controversy if its wrong. Fuck him. 

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Let's see how bad the Laporte injury is. 

Sometimes it just seems written in the stars, going against all reason and involving large doses of good fortune, like the season Chelsea finally won it.

We will definitely see, but from me feeling they had no chance I personally think it’s now a live possibility.