You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

Just now, Elite said:

Do you find you spend your day arguing with everyone in real life too?

I'm not having a dig, just genuinely curious as everytime I come on here you and some other are sniping at each other.

Absolutely not. Football is really the only subject I'm contentious about. The internet is impersonal and amplifies these conversations because you can't see the other person and you say stuff you wouldn't say in real life. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh no. You negged me. I’d better not say anything that might offend you, or you might do it again. 

Goodness, you’re obtuse. 

I don't get your problem. You compared Alphonso Davies' situation, a kid who basically came out of nowhere, from a country that has produced zero good footballers to the most hyped footballer ever. I just disagreed. And then you started talking about me, for some reason. I think you're offended, really. 

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't get your problem. You compared Alphonso Davies' situation, a kid who basically came out of nowhere, from a country that has produced zero good footballers to the most hyped footballer ever. I just disagreed. And then you started talking about me, for some reason. I think you're offended, really. 

Hahaha. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Hahaha. 

What's funny? I think I accurately assessed the situation there. You got a little mad at my "give me credit" joke, which you usually do because you have a stick up your ass (you get mad @viRdjil for saying that same kind of stuff with Maguire, Traore, etc... when they play well).

And then you made a ridiculous analogy about Messi because you thought I was serious and then you came up with some amateur psychologist shit about me, for some reason. I think the thing to do here on your part is just to lighten up. 

Bayern look really good, best they've looked in years. I find it difficult to watch most teams that aren't ourselves but really enjoyed watching them in that second half. Thought Lewandowski excelled in a deeper, less selfish role for them.

Second best team in Europe.  

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

What's funny? I think I accurately assessed the situation there. You got a little mad at my "give me credit" joke, which you usually do because you have a stick up your ass (you get mad @viRdjil for saying that same kind of stuff with Maguire, Traore, etc... when they play well).

And then you made a ridiculous analogy about Messi because you thought I was serious and then you came up with some amateur psychologist shit about me, for some reason. I think the thing to do here on your part is just to lighten up. 

Haha. Good stuff. Yep, spot on. I’m absolutely raging here. 

Chelsea have shamefully escaped the criticism they've deserved this season. The media doesn't want to be too harsh on their England golden boy fatty Frank and their garbage season has been put entirely down to the fact that they were unable to buy players in the summer. I'm sure we didn't buy anyone either during the summer and we've not done too badly. The media's fixation on the 'kids' Lampard CHOOSES to field ahead of experienced players is absurd too. The narrative that he has no choice but to throw in these brave youngsters is so ridiculous, yet some how people have swallowed this crap. They have one of the most expensively assembled teams in Europe yet the media chooses to ignore this and just throw pity at them. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Chelsea have shamefully escaped the criticism they've deserved this season. The media doesn't want to be too harsh on their England golden boy fatty Frank and their garbage season has been put entirely down to the fact that they were unable to buy players in the summer. I'm sure we didn't buy anyone either during the summer and we've not done too badly. The media's fixation on the 'kids' Lampard CHOOSES to field ahead of experienced players is absurd too. The narrative that he has no choice but to throw in these brave youngsters is so ridiculous, yet some how people have swallowed this crap. They have one of the most expensively assembled teams in Europe yet the media chooses to ignore this and just throw pity at them. 

All good points mate but if you don’t mind can you be quiet for a bit until the ladies have finished their bitch-off?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I've mentioned this myself once or twice - it's bizarre how much sympathy Chelsea have had in the media.

The transfer ban has been portrayed like some unfortunate handicap they've had to bravely overcome. They were found guily of breaking the rules in the recruitment of young players - 29 times, I think I read!! It's no wonder they've had outstanding Academy teams for the years. And the irony the media have missed is that their early season good form was largely down to the younger players - who came through their Academy system!

As for the transfer ban - they still managed to buy Kovacic for £40m despite the ban - how does that work?! And they got Pulisic for £60m in January. So, in 2019, they spent about £99.5 m more than us.

Meanwhile, they generate a steady income from loaning and selling their Academy players - the same Academy system found guilty of dozens of breaches of the rules.

49 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Spot on. Lampard is as inept as solskjaer is. He didnt pull up any trees with Derby in the Championship and he only got the chelsea job because of his reputation as a player with the club which, knowing Abramovic's M.O. is going to get trashed (not that I care).

All this shit about him playing kids and he gets plaudits but Jurgen does it and he's 'disrespecting' the cup and opponents.

The truth is, the people who do the PL fixtures seem to be going out of their way to give clubs blocks of easy games during the season and this skews results. It means it looks like a club is better than it actually is.

Look at Leicester before they played us, 8 or 9 games they won on the trott, made them look title challengers for a while. Same with chelsea, a run of 'easy' fixtures and fwank is a genius. Except he is not.

I think managers tactically are as good as what they've experienced/learned as a player and critically, who they've learned from.

They can build on that with their own learnings but they have to be obsessive students of the game and analytical thinkers.

That's why Jürgen and Guardiola are the best tactically, because they've learned from people acknowledged as being innovators tactically, plus they've dedicated to their craft.

I'd question whether many of the top English players really have that level of dedication to the analytical element of honing tactics at the top level. It's why as much as Id love it, I'd harbour doubts about Gerrard ever managing us.

I'm completely ignoring the man management aspect here, which is innate to the individual. If Jürgen wasn't manager of us, he could be a leader in any field because he's a born leader/inspirer of men and he's also an incredible, inspirational one in a million human.

2 hours ago, Baltar said:

Lampard was given a free pass from the start. From the supporters, the media, everybody. He had a transfer ban that was also a convenient excuse, an excuse which would be valid if Chelsea didn't have a billion players on loan they could have just recalled. Some of those players are quite good.

That being said, they have a great midfield, but the attack and defense on paper aren't very good. I don't think Lampard is anything special but if they spend 300m or whatever and get the right players, he'll be a success like pretty much anybody would with those kinds of resources at a club with the prestige of Chelsea.

3 hours ago, Baltar said:

I try to avoid the output of the Street of Shame. Thankfully, F365 have the necessary hazmat suits:

Nothing but a number

Over in the Daily Mirror, John Cross gives Chelsea the excuse of youth, writing:

‘Bayern were clear favourites while Chelsea’s young line-up looked inexperienced by comparison and it was little wonder Lampard admitted his side would have to “suffer” in their last-16 showdown.’

Pesky fact: The average age of Chelsea’s starting XI was 27.18; Bayern’s was 26.73.

The Young Ones
And he wasn’t the only one…

‘This thrashing, which is what it was in reality, was the harshest of lessons for the young players Lampard has counted on so heavily this season’ – BBC Sport.

‘The Blues were out-classed on a night which showed the gulf in quality between Lampard’s young pretenders and one of the real giants of Champions League’ – The Sun.

‘Lampard admitted that Bayern were simply too good for his young side on the night’ – Daily Mirror.

Do we have to go through that pesky fact again?

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That Braga ground is fucking weird, looks like it was cut out of a quarry. 2-4 Rangers on aggregate with an away goal.

Was thinking the same thing--looks like an old quarry.

Google:

The stadium was carved from the Monte do Castro quarry that overlooked Braga