You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

There could well come a point where, even if it’s not mathematically certain, that I feel sure it’s over, but that isn’t yet. Let’s say Wolves were to end the unbeaten record, and Gollum gleefully takes a point from our second game in hand. Suddenly the supposedly favourable run of fixtures looks a bit tougher - Southampton are really good, Norwich fighting for their lives and a trip to the home of a Watford team that could easily have gotten something at Anfield if they weren’t so wasteful. 

I know there are a lot of “what ifs...” involved. I also know that, having played 22 games, we'd have to drop more points from this stage than in any of Klopp's full seasons to fail to win the league (17 in 16/17 and 17/18 and 8 last time around - only 15/16's loss of 19 would see City win the league on goal difference assuming that, as I’m inclined to, they don't drop another point) but I’m going to continue to predict the worst for a while longer yet.

I’m enjoying every game we play at the moment though; don’t think that the portents of doom are stopping me from being thrilled with the wins.

We're current European and World Club Champions.  We sure as fuck didn't get there by worrying about how hard future fixtures looked after an indifferent performance or result.

Champions shrug that shit off and get down to the business at hand, win that next game.  Like we've been doing all season, and most of last season too.  Klopp has instilled a champions mentality on this side.

With all things taken into consideration, Manchester City don't need a very good run - they need a fucking miracle.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Title challenges! The points difference is new, the situation isn't. A title challenge is a title challenge. We did screw it up last season, although we ended with the wonderful silver lining in Madrid, and I'm not going to assume that we've won anything this season until it's over!

We didn't screw it up last season... we lost once, to the team that ended up a 1-point-better side than us.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

There could well come a point where, even if it’s not mathematically certain, that I feel sure it’s over, but that isn’t yet. Let’s say Wolves were to end the unbeaten record, and Gollum gleefully takes a point from our second game in hand. Suddenly the supposedly favourable run of fixtures looks a bit tougher - Southampton are really good, Norwich fighting for their lives and a trip to the home of a Watford team that could easily have gotten something at Anfield if they weren’t so wasteful. 

I know there are a lot of “what ifs...” involved. I also know that, having played 22 games, we'd have to drop more points from this stage than in any of Klopp's full seasons to fail to win the league (17 in 16/17 and 17/18 and 8 last time around - only 15/16's loss of 19 would see City win the league on goal difference assuming that, as I’m inclined to, they don't drop another point) but I’m going to continue to predict the worst for a while longer yet.

I’m enjoying every game we play at the moment though; don’t think that the portents of doom are stopping me from being thrilled with the wins.

Are you allowed sharp objects?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alan Sex said:

Anyone see how Reina did with Vanilla today?

Did he put his hip out, and did behave his teeth in for the match?

Yeah, I watched the second half. Did well. Didn't have a huge amount to do but came for crosses well, distribution very good, etc. He still has a big presence that you don't really get with many keepers of clubs at that end of the table. Apparently made a decent save from Deeney in the first half as well.

7 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Chelsea were wank considering they were against 10 men Arsenal and a goal to the good from the resulting penalty. Arsenal dug in and scored two goals from their only 2 efforts on target. They face City soon so hopefully Arteta improves them more by the time they meet.

They reminded me of us many Years ago.  Dominated the game should have have had the game dead and buried similair to their Newcastle game over the weekend.  They took their foot off the pedal as soon as Arse went down to 10 men.  As with us with Mignolet and Karius in goal every shot against them ends up in a goal.  Abraham should be playing for Bournemouth you can see why they're linked with Werner they're desperate for someone who can actually finish.

Aresnal were shit infact they were even worse with 11 men.

Arsenal were so bad last night, the sending off actually seemed to improve them. I mean don't get me wrong I still hate Lovren and think he's very lucky to still be here but he's Beckenbauer, Maldini and Van Dijk rolled into one compared to Mustafi. I genuinely reckon Mustafi would look shite in League One.

Have I missed something about David Luiz? Chelsea fans were booing his every touch and were wanking themselves silly when he got sent off. Did he ever trash talk them or anything? I know he’s got a rick in him but he always seemed to put in a shift for them and left for good money?

Or are Chelsea fans just cunts?

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Yeah, I watched the second half. Did well. Didn't have a huge amount to do but came for crosses well, distribution very good, etc. He still has a big presence that you don't really get with many keepers of clubs at that end of the table. Apparently made a decent save from Deeney in the first half as well.

Their fans seem to be loving him, from what I’ve seen and a lot of initial scepticism has turned into rave reviews about his distribution and general character. Whether that’ll continue if he lets in a couple of low shots at the near post is another matter, but I’m pleased to see him do well.

Even at his best he wasn’t quite on Alisson’s level, but prior to that, Reina’s first four or five years were the only time over the last three decades that we had a goalkeeper performing consistently at an elite level. 

25 minutes ago, Manny said:

Have I missed something about David Luiz? Chelsea fans were booing his every touch and were wanking themselves silly when he got sent off. Did he ever trash talk them or anything? I know he’s got a rick in him but he always seemed to put in a shift for them and left for good money?

Or are Chelsea fans just cunts?

My understanding was that it was Lampard who binned off Luiz, so I don’t know why Chelsea fans booed him..... apart from the fact that they are moronic cunts. They did show a rare display of wit, though, when they sang ‘David Luiz, he’s one of our own’, after he got himself sent off. Happily, it bit them in the arse.