You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

16 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

We had the better result of the weekend imo. They hammered villa but we went to the 5th or 6th best team in the league against a banana skin manager like mourinho and got the win. I accept Spurs were missing players and look better on paper than they are but a great 3 points nevertheless. Think if we win our next three games, it's a done deal. I already do but am cautious as City can win the next 16 games.

Essentially we need to average 2 points per game to win the league. The United game will be a shitshow as they have a unique ability to make us look mediocre. Wolves will be a very tough game and Moyesie would love to get one over us. Then on paper we have a nice run of games. 

My gut is city drop 2-5 points from the 16 games. Great side no doubt, but leicester and chelsea away and us at home are three horrible games for them. United away is a derby so that could be another chance for snap crackle and pop to out think Pep.

If we have won the league, I could see us prioritising the cup and the champions league if we are still in them and it could mean us dropping points against teams we normally beat with ease. Jurgen would love to remain unbeaten but not at the expense of more trophies. He's right too. 

I think so much hinges on the next three. 9 more points for us and even I might start to relax a bit, but if we slip up - say we end up with one point or fewer from Man Utd and Wolves while City win both of their games - I would see them as favourites based on their recent history of title wins and ability to strike genuine fear into opponents.

44 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Think the only game they'll possibly lose this season is against us now. They're gonna put a run together. 

Dunno, they've got a few more games than us, midweek trip to Sheffield.  Leicester, Spurs and Real Madrid away in Feb.  Another extra game against Utd as well.

Obviously they're well set for such a run, but it's not an easy one.  Wouldn't be too surprised if they dropped a few more points before playing us.

City really are the modern equivalent of the boogie man, aren’t they. Their fundamental problems remain. They put 17 goals past Watford, Bournemouth and West Ham in September .. then within weeks had dropped points to Spurs and Wolves. They could win every game this season - but that probably hinges on Aguero and Silva both playing nigh on every game - which is a big if. And their brand of football is perfect for a hobbling team like Villa. The game showed us nothing we didn’t already know.

I think aside from the game against us maybe! City will win all their remaining league games. People said last year they won't keep it up till the end of the season but they did. They're more than capable. We just have to not drop more than 12 points it's a big ask but we are capable too. I think it will end up close.

9 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think so much hinges on the next three. 9 more points for us and even I might start to relax a bit, but if we slip up - say we end up with one point or fewer from Man Utd and Wolves while City win both of their games - I would see them as favourites based on their recent history of title wins and ability to strike genuine fear into opponents.

So we draw a couple of games game and it hands City the title ?  Christ you have no faith in this team at all, and your maths is skewed to fuck.  Last I checked we were a fuckload of points ahead and not behind, and City will still only be given 3 points for a win.

And as for striking fear into opponents, there's at least 7 teams this season they haven't done that to.

They might even go unbeaten to the end of the season but with their current defensive frailties they'll be dropping more points along the way.  They're simply not going to win every game.  They can't afford to drop ANY points now, and we can.

I don't see any realistic scenario that has City winning every game now and us losing 6 or more.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
17 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

City are 100% guaranteed to win every game other than against us, which could go either way if both teams are on top form. I wouldn’t be overly surprised if the destination of the title is decided by that one.

Christ, you do realise that City have already lost 5 games and not all against decent sides. City still have to visit, Spurs, Leicester, Man United, Chelsea, a resurgent Southampton and Watford. They ain't winning all of them plus nothing is 100% guaranteed in any sport. 

15 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

And loads of 'neutral' fans were saying the league was 'weak' this year

I have heard this argument too which makes absolutely no sense given that the League contains all of the European finalists from last year and every team involved  European competition has advanced to the knock out stage with some of those likely to go deep in continental competition, unless of course the entirety of the European/global game is 'weak' at the moment.

22 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

I have heard this argument too which makes absolutely no sense given that the League contains all of the European finalists from last year and every team involved  European competition has advanced to the knock out stage with some of those likely to go deep in continental competition, unless of course the entirety of the European/global game is 'weak' at the moment.

Clearly it is, otherwise no explanation for us being European and World champions as well as runaway prem leaders, unless we're actually quite good at this footy lark

We may well have ruined them last season.

But sacking a bloke who's top of the League and in the last 16 of the European Cup... apparently because they lost (to a fellow last 16 ECL participant) in a Spanish Charity Shield qualifier (read: dirty fundraiser in Saudi Arabia)

Don't really give a fuck about Valverde.

But what a scum of a club.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, skaro said:

We may well have ruined them last season.

But sacking a bloke who's top of the League and in the last 16 of the European Cup... apparently because they lost (to a fellow last 16 ECL participant) in a Spanish Charity Shield qualifier (read: dirty fundraiser in Saudi Arabia)

Don't really give a fuck about Valverde.

But what a scum of a club.

Valverde is a terrible manager. His style of football is one of the worst you're ever gonna see. Even whilst winning the league he was managing to make everybody sick. 

That said, Barcelona really disgraced themselves here. They are horrifically run. One of those situation where the manager learns he's getting sacked when he reads about it in the papers. Ugly. 

49 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Valverde is a terrible manager. His style of football is one of the worst you're ever gonna see. Even whilst winning the league he was managing to make everybody sick. 

That said, Barcelona really disgraced themselves here. They are horrifically run. One of those situation where the manager learns he's getting sacked when he reads about it in the papers. Ugly. 

Was the only point I was making.