You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This type of thing makes me laugh. He's shite at some things. He's also absolutely, undoubtedly world class at dribbling past players. That would make him useful pretty much anywhere. 

No, he's very good at kicking the ball past people.  He doesn't beat people with the dribble.  He's a sprinter, not a footballer.  He's been getting better, but he's not anywhere near good enough to be "world class" at anything.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

No, he's very good at kicking the ball past people.  He doesn't beat people with the dribble.  He's a sprinter, not a footballer.

It doesn't matter how he does it, he's statistically the best dribbler in the world as far as getting past defenders. It's the lack of nuance I don't like. Yeah, he's not good at some stuff but when you can beat defenders like that you're at least not shite, you're just one dimensional if most of the time you get the cross wrong. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It doesn't matter how he does it, he's statistically the best dribbler in the world as far as getting past defenders. It's the lack of nuance I don't like. Yeah, he's not good at some stuff but when you can beat defenders like that you're at least not shite, you're just one dimensional if most of the time you get the cross wrong. 

Lies, damned lies and all that.  There's a big difference to beating players in a congested area and kicking it to the corner and running past players.  The defender will only be worried about not letting him run inside or getting a pass away without any pressure, not beating him to the ball.

My original "he's shite" was me being jokingly reductive, but we're getting to the actual point here, if he's "one-dimensional" then no world class coach would want him.

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Lies, damned lies and all that.  There's a big difference to beating players in a congested area and kicking it to the corner and running past players.  The defender will only be worried about not letting him run inside or getting a pass away without any pressure, not beating him to the ball.

My original "he's shite" was me being jokingly reductive, but we're getting to the actual point here, if he's "one-dimensional" then no world class coach would want him.

I think he has undeniable, world class physical attributes that can't be taught and most great coaches would want to see if they could make the most out of them and develop another side of his game. 

Even if you want to deny the statistical stuff it's still crazy when you watch him how often he can beat his defender in almost any situation, even with no space in behind he'll still burn past people.

But yeah, he loses it often too, no doubt. I don't know, This is kind of pointless as we won't sign him, but I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to have someone like him on the bench. 

Seattle Sounders beat Toronto FC to win the MLS Cup and become champions for the second time. Each side had a former LFC youth teamer in the starting line-up - Brad Smith for Seattle, and Chris Mavinga for Toronto. I remember we sold Smith to Bournemouth for something like £6m but I don't know if he ever played for them. They also bought Solanke off us for £19m and he's only a bit-part player for them.

2 hours ago, Trumo said:

Seattle Sounders beat Toronto FC to win the MLS Cup and become champions for the second time. Each side had a former LFC youth teamer in the starting line-up - Brad Smith for Seattle, and Chris Mavinga for Toronto. I remember we sold Smith to Bournemouth for something like £6m but I don't know if he ever played for them. They also bought Solanke off us for £19m and he's only a bit-part player for them.

263rm9.jpg

22 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Sky Germany showing the derby between Wolves and Villa and not the Mancs v Brighton, oh how the mighty have fallen. 

On a side note, my local team Armenia Bielefeld are 3-0 up away to Nuremberg, if they go on to win they'll be two points clear of Hamburg at the top of the second Bundesliga, 5 points clear of third place Stuttgart and 8 points clear of 4th. Heady heights considering the last 7/8 seasons of mediocrity including having to get out of the 3rd league. They built a new stand before that (around 2008) and due to a lack of good sponsors/leadership at board level at the time and spiralling costs it nearly sent them bankrupt. In fact I think they've rebuilt all stands in the last 14 years or so. Now they finally have money to invest in the squad and keep players things are looking a lot better. 

How do you like Edmundson?

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

How do you like Edmundson?

He's only a bit player for them at the moment. Had a poor season last season only scoring 4 or 5 goals. He's mainly been on the bench this season but has scored 3 times earlier in the campaign. His problem is that Klos and Voglsammer are on fire. 

Robbo pulled out of Scotland squad, Salah being regularly rested by Egypt, peno decisions going our way, everyone hates us, we look unbeatable, we come out of PR exercise between Gomez and Sterling smelling of roses, rival manager losing the head, every referee and official wants us to win the league, reigning European Champions, last minute winners. The list goes on, hate to say it but we have a feel of peek Man Utd about us right now.

• Upvote 4