You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

Just now, Jennings said:

Not red for me. 

...unless we go for what Carra was saying where 'tactical fouls' become red card offences. - i.e. ones where there was no intention to play the ball.

I agree with this BTW...although Atkinson et al would see a way to fuck it up.

Christ, can you imagine the endless 'debate' about whether a foul was tactical or not? It'd make the current shitshow look like a routine no ball decision in cricket.

1 hour ago, Mark M said:

My hope on VAR was that it would help the refs get decisions correct especially big decisions at big moments in matches.

What it’s managed to do so far is show that the standard of Refs are even worse than I worst feared.
Even with the benefit of slow motion replays and different angles they are getting calls wrong.

That Atkinson call yesterday after watching Kammy on goals on Sunday litterly calling it out as corrupt is shocking. He’s no business being a ref at this level of football either on the pitch or in stockley park. 

Spot on this, both regarding VAR, the standard of refereeing and Atkinson.

Can't help when thinking about horrific injuries like this, about Djibril Cisse and how after his potential career-ender, he worked his bollocks off to get fit and return in time to come on as a sub in Istanbul where he scored a pen and contributed directly to winning No.5. which is the least he deserved for his application and dedication.

It's a very different injury, and I doubt if Gomes would be looking to a Redshite for inspiration anyway, but it just shows what's possible. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
15 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Bayern sack Kovac after 5-1 defeat to Frankfurt.

It has been in the offing due to performances this year, despite winning the double last season. Allegri is favourite to take over, which means the Bloo shite fans will have to review their list of unattainable managers. 

17 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

Never a red card and yellow at best. Only got a red as Atkinson saw the aftermath rather than doing his fucking job and judging it on the tackle. 

The man is an utter fraud and complete mong.

I get the Atkinson bashing, he was abhorrent yesterday, but I can't understand the shouts Son didn't deserve a red card.

It was a cynical foul, one where his clear intention is not to get the ball and to just bring Gomes to the ground. By the letter of the law, it's cheating and then on top of that it seriously injures Gomes. If a cynical foul with no intention of winning the ball results in a serious injury, even if it's not some super dangerous tackle, logically a red card is a punishment that fits the crime.

And then somehow people are actually feeling bad for Son. Why? Because he cried? Here's a thought; don't take someone out from behind with the ball being nowhere near. It's not like he was even stopping a counter attack, they were on the by line with a bunch of players around.

Guest Pistonbroke
32 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Erik Ten Hag is the favorite

It changes depending what source you read mate. Allegri, Ten Hag, Mourinho and Rangnick have been mentioned. They were interested in Ten Hag before they appointed Kovak, so maybes he will be their first Port of call. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I get the Atkinson bashing, he was abhorrent yesterday, but I can't understand the shouts Son didn't deserve a red card.

It was a cynical foul, one where his clear intention is not to get the ball and to just bring Gomes to the ground. By the letter of the law, it's cheating and then on top of that it seriously injures Gomes. If a cynical foul with no intention of winning the ball results in a serious injury, even if it's not some super dangerous tackle, logically a red card is a punishment that fits the crime.

And then somehow people are actually feeling bad for Son. Why? Because he cried? Here's a thought; don't take someone out from behind with the ball being nowhere near. It's not like he was even stopping a counter attack, they were on the by line with a bunch of players around.

It was never a red, a yellow was fair.  However, in some games you don't even get a yellow for tackles like that - especially in derby games.  City spend most of every game cynically fouling and breaking up play.

I don't see how the logical conclusion can be a red.  The injury was an accident, it was a freak occurrence compounded by getting crunched by Aurier.  You can't upgrade a foul due to an accidental injury post event.

I also don't see how you can't feel sorry for someone who injured a fellow pro by accident.

If you start using this incident as a precedent, the game will become even worse - VAR is destroying the game, we don't need anything else for now!

Guest Pistonbroke

As bad as the injury is, and I hope he recovers fully, fellow pros and fans saying 'Him and his family are in our prayers' etc really pisses me off. He broke his ankle, his life or that of his loved ones is not in danger, plus he'll get the best treatment possible. 

12 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

It was never a red, a yellow was fair.  However, in some games you don't even get a yellow for tackles like that - especially in derby games.  City spend most of every game cynically fouling and breaking up play.

I don't see how the logical conclusion can be a red.  The injury was an accident, it was a freak occurrence compounded by getting crunched by Aurier.  You can't upgrade a foul due to an accidental injury post event.

I also don't see how you can't feel sorry for someone who injured a fellow pro by accident.

If you start using this incident as a precedent, the game will become even worse - VAR is destroying the game, we don't need anything else for now!

I think a red card is a perfectly fine punishment for a tackle that is not a natural football action. He doesn't go for the ball at all, it's completely cynical. It's for the same reason that Klopp was seething at the Choudhury tackle on Salah. It's dangerous and this time, instead of a mild ankle injury, it broke someone's leg. And actually, in the Son case, it's even worse because it's not like you can even say it was a "professional foul" stopping a counter like the Choudhury one. It was just completely needless.

And yes, the injury should be a factor in increasing the punishment. Why shouldn't it when it's the result of the tackle? He doesn't break his leg if Son doesn't bring him down from behind.

It feels to me like people are missing the point on this one.

6 hours ago, No2 said:

November 4th 2014, 5 years ago today. We sent Mingolet, Manquillo, Toure, Skrtel, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Allen, Markovic, Lalanna and Borini to the Bernabeu to face Madrid. 

I really want us to get those pricks this year and beat them home and away. In part to wipe away the memory of Kiev/gain revenge, but also to expunge this rubbish.

7 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

I really want us to get those pricks this year and beat them home and away. In part to wipe away the memory of Kiev/gain revenge, but also to expunge this rubbish.

I would also like this to happen, especially if that gigantic whopper Ramos is still there.