You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

Just now, DimReaper said:

It's a complete joke. A disgrace actually. That Arsenal decision is the absolute pits. 

It is laughable as a stand alone call....when you compare it to what VAR has left alone and failed to deal with before it, it becomes totally unbelievable.

Arsenal should be spewing....this shite is gonna cost some side really big and it is just pathetic.

How can a game make such a fuck up of the use of something brought in to help eradicate shite decisions.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

It is laughable as a stand alone call....when you compare it to what VAR has left alone and failed to deal with before it, it becomes totally unbelievable.

Arsenal should be spewing....this shite is gonna cost some side really big and it is just pathetic.

How can a game make such a fuck up of the use of something brought in to help eradicate shite decisions.

How can they just decide to abandon the approach they've taken all season seemingly on a whim without even as much as communicating it to anybody?! Those two penalties in the United game as well - shocking. 

How can they just decide to abandon the approach they've taken all season seemingly on a whim without even as much as communicating it to anybody?! Those two penalties in the United game as well - shocking. 

It is staggering.

What makes it all the more shite is fact they had it wrong to start with and their answer is to make it even worse.

So now we are left with VAR being a lottery.

It needs fucking off IMO for any kind of decisions other than offside and things like ball in or out of play/inside or outside of box - leave fouls etc to refs, as at least we can accept calls will be wrong/are tight in real time.

Just now, an tha said:

It is staggering.

What makes it all the more shite is fact they had it wrong to start with and their answer is to make it even worse.

So now we are left with VAR being a lottery.

It needs fucking off IMO for any kind of decisions other than offside and things like ball in or out of play/inside or outside of box - leave fouls etc to refs, as at least we can accept calls will be wrong/are tight in real time.

The higher threshold is much better than what we've seen this weekend in my opinion. Essentially leaving it to the refs but having VAR in case something completely ridiculous happens. But I agree with your last point - I said right from the start, once I saw it in the World Cup, that it shouldn't be used for penalties or other subjective decisions. 

The higher threshold is much better than what we've seen this weekend in my opinion. Essentially leaving it to the refs but having VAR in case something completely ridiculous happens. But I agree with your last point - I said right from the start, once I saw it in the World Cup, that it shouldn't be used for penalties or other subjective decisions. 

Is right.

21 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Today, if anything, it just exposed how shit Atkinson is at every aspect of refereeing - whether it was the penalty/yellow card involving Zaha, or failing to use the pitch side monitor.

That yellow card for zaha that was changed was a disgrace from Atkinson. As blatant a pen decision you'll see and he's ten yards away and can't see it. And the arse winner disallowed was mind boggling. If that happens to us I'd be fuming

What they should have done before the season started was ensure that whenever a VAR review is taking place, the referee ALWAYS goes to watch the replays on the pitchside monitor. The ref can then use the review to confirm a decision already made, change a decision already made, or give a decision that hadn't originally been made. It's no slight to anyone's ego to change your mind when presented with new (and probably better) information unless your ego and the egos of those in your profession are far bigger than they should be. The minute or two currently being spent reviewing via VAR could include the referee watching events back at the same time.

Instead, they haven't used the pitchside monitors. They've made a fudge over what is clear and obvious (the key parameter for VAR reviews). They've enabled officials' egos to dictate authority and forgo being overruled on decisions that weren't right to begin with. And then they've exacerbated the issues by changing tack a little in this past week, so there is still no consistency with the officiating. Something that was correctly overturned this week would not have been last week. Mind you, cocking things up is par for the course with Riley and his goons.

It used to wind me up before World Cups when FIFA would come out with a clampdown on certain infringements, which led to a flurry of cards in the group stages. Then they would realise (amid loads of complaints) that they might have overegged the pudding before then issuing an about-turn asking referees to show more restraint. The damage had already been done because teams, players and results had already been affected by the original instructions.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

D1BD8C14-6ECA-4135-AAF9-0E04B580983E.jpeg

Arsenal should ban him. They have 1 million subscribers, like it or not their opinions carry weight now and giving your captain 2 middle fingers should have consequences. 

Xhaxa is a little bit shit but I've never but him down as not trying or caring, he was entitled to give some back to that shit crowd.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, niallers said:

Crouch with a belter there about the pitch side var screen reminding him of his Burnley career. Underused and sad. Brilliant

Funny thing so, it was the No Goal VAR decision on the screen when he made that comment, and I thought that too summed up his Burnley career.

To be fair to Xhaka, what is he meant to do when his own supporters are laughing him off the pitch? It was a pretty tame response actually, waving and cupping his ears. Even when our players have had a mare we've never done that. Troopz and ArsenalFanTV has finally, completely, disappeared up its own arse right there. It used to be a source of comedy but that's just nuts.

45 minutes ago, skend04 said:

To be fair to Xhaka, what is he meant to do when his own supporters are laughing him off the pitch? It was a pretty tame response actually, waving and cupping his ears. Even when our players have had a mare we've never done that. Troopz and ArsenalFanTV has finally, completely, disappeared up its own arse right there. It used to be a source of comedy but that's just nuts.

He's meant to run off the pitch as fast as possible so they can get on with trying to win the game.

It's not rocket science.

• Upvote 1