You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

33 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'd say it mostly is. I mean, I don't like this government, but our Prime Minister has Turkish Muslim and German Jewish ancestry, our Chancellor of the Exchequer is a Pakistani Muslim, our Foreign Secretary is a Jew and our Home Secretary is Ugandan Indian.

So what?

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Could have sworn I was making a point about racial integration or something.

You were. It was peak Lib Dem.

"Well, yeah, obviously we do have deeply ingrained institutional racism but look at Tracy over there at Transport, she's got three reggae CDs"

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'd say it mostly is. I mean, I don't like this government, but our Prime Minister has Turkish Muslim and German Jewish ancestry, our Chancellor of the Exchequer is a Pakistani Muslim, our Foreign Secretary is a Jew and our Home Secretary is Ugandan Indian. And you just won't hear the kind of disgusting chants heard tonight, or see the Nazi salutes seen tonight, in a British stadium.

Not anymore. But we need a bit of historical context here.

Anyway, have you seen English fans abroad? Unfortunately I have. (Admittedly it reflects a particular part of English society only, but that's probably true in Bulgaria, too.)

And, incidentally, I don't recall quite the same degree of outrage over the behaviour of English fans in Prague. You can say that was outside stadium, if that matters. And you can say those fans aren't racist. But then I'd question their attitude to travelling overseas.

Just to be clear, however: football culture in Central and Eastern Europe is infested with right-wing scum. It's disgusting and deserves a response. (Personally, I stopped going to see Lech Poznan because I was sick of it.) But most of the countries in question are dominated by right-wing parties. (About 60% of the Polish electorate voted hard right on Sunday.) It's a much bigger cultural problem rooted in (post-)communist history...

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Anyway, have you seen English fans abroad? Unfortunately I have. (Admittedly it reflects a particular part of English society only, but that's probably true in Bulgaria, too.)

And, incidentally, I don't recall quite the same degree of outrage over the behaviour of English fans in Prague. You can say that was outside stadium, if that matters. And you can say those fans aren't racist. But then I'd question their attitude to travelling overseas.

Just to be clear, however: football culture in Central and Eastern Europe is infested with right-wing scum. It's disgusting and deserves a response. (Personally, I stopped going to see Lech Poznan because I was sick of it.) But most of the countries in question are dominated by right-wing parties. (About 60% of the Polish electorate voted hard right on Sunday.) It's a much bigger cultural problem rooted in (post-)communist history...

Bang on.

I've seen the England scum first hand too . It beggars belief how most of them manage to walk erect.

23 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Barney Ronay had an excellent piece yesterday that touches on a few things in this post.

The Orwell quote he uses is pretty apt: “There is almost no kind of outrage,” George Orwell wrote in his Notes on Nationalism, “which does not change its moral colour when it is committed by ‘our’ side.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/oct/14/england-racism-euro-qualifiers-barney-ronay

• Upvote 1

I wonder what would have happened if England had walked off last night?

Would have put the FA in a bit of a pickle

Non-league Padiham FC fined for leaving pitch in protest at racist abuse

Club fined £165 after goalkeeper taunted by fans of Congleton
FA-convened panel fined Congleton £160 for alleged abuse

A team who left the pitch in protest at racist abuse have been fined by an independent panel convened by the Football Association for taking a stand on behalf of their player.

Padiham FC of the North West Counties Football League walked off during a match against Congleton Town last October in response to racist insults from members of the crowd directed at Padiham’s goalkeeper, the former Burnley youth player Tony Aghayere.

The matter was initially dealt with by the Lancashire and Cheshire Football Associations, before being handed on to an independent regulatory commission convened under FA rules.

Both clubs were charged under FA rule E20, which relates to a club’s responsibility to control players, officials and spectators. Padiham were fined £165 for abandoning the match. Congleton, whose spectators were apparently responsible for the alleged racist abuse, were fined £160.

The incident was brought to wider notice this week by Padiham’s chairman, Shaun Astin, who linked the club’s fine to recent high-profile cases of racist abuse.

Astin tweeted: “I am a chairman of a non-league club. We decided to take our players off in a game, because our goalkeeper was being racially abused. We were fined £165, the offending club were fined £160. Where is the justice there.”

The Burnley Express also reported comments from Padiham’s then co‑manager Liam Smith, who said he was “flabbergasted” by the “spineless” decision to impose a fine for leaving the pitch in those circumstances.

“I was alerted to the fact that Tony had been receiving some abuse and I immediately said to the linesman that I wanted to speak to the referee as soon as possible,” Smith is quoted as saying. “I told him that one of our players had been racially abused and that I would be taking the players off the pitch.

“We wanted to present a united front, so all the players were together in walking off the pitch. I don’t regret my actions one bit; I’d do it again tomorrow and I’d encourage anyone else who finds themselves in that position, God forbid, to do the same.

“I want to say thanks to Congleton Town and their players. When they realised why we were coming off the pitch they understood and spoke to me about it all afterwards and the club reported it to the police. They showed their class.”

At the time Congleton confirmed they had reported the matter to the police and said: “The club takes this matter very seriously and is committed to working with the league on this matter.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/10/padliham-congleton-non-league-fined-leaving-pitch-racist-abuse-fans

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Barney Ronay had an excellent piece yesterday that touches on a few things in this post.

The Orwell quote he uses is pretty apt: “There is almost no kind of outrage,” George Orwell wrote in his Notes on Nationalism, “which does not change its moral colour when it is committed by ‘our’ side.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/oct/14/england-racism-euro-qualifiers-barney-ronay

Thanks for that...

15 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'd say it mostly is. I mean, I don't like this government, but our Prime Minister has Turkish Muslim and German Jewish ancestry, our Chancellor of the Exchequer is a Pakistani Muslim, our Foreign Secretary is a Jew and our Home Secretary is Ugandan Indian. And you just won't hear the kind of disgusting chants heard tonight, or see the Nazi salutes seen tonight, in a British stadium.

I agree with you that the UK is multicultural, London especially is probably the most multicultural city I’ve been to in the world. However I disagree with the bolded part. Recent examples:

- Chelsea fans hissing at Spurs fans

- Chelsea fan screaming “Black cunt!” to Sterling’s face

- Milwall fans chanting “I’d rather be a Paki than a Scouse”

• Upvote 1

Southgate's quotes below are pretty impressive. It would have been easier for him not to acknowledge that England has huge problems too.

Southgate gave an insight into how steeled his players now were to racist abuse. “Sadly, because of their experiences in our own country, they are hardened to racism,” he said. “I don’t know what that says about our society but that’s the reality. It actually saddens me. So they actually are in the dressing room smiling because they’ve played so well.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Southgate's quotes below are pretty impressive. It would have been easier for him not to acknowledge that England has huge problems too.

Southgate gave an insight into how steeled his players now were to racist abuse. “Sadly, because of their experiences in our own country, they are hardened to racism,” he said. “I don’t know what that says about our society but that’s the reality. It actually saddens me. So they actually are in the dressing room smiling because they’ve played so well.

He always seems a nice bloke. 

15 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Erm

DGuoMREXkAAPG0g.jpg

DGuoMRGWsAIBvOF.jpg

Chelseascum512.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Erm

DGuoMREXkAAPG0g.jpg

DGuoMRGWsAIBvOF.jpg

Chelseascum512.jpg

I gotta say, in this sense, I feel very lucky to have randomly picked Liverpool as a team to support as a kid. Been to 30-40 games now home and away over four years, and as a PoC, I’ve never seen or been subjected to any racial abuse whether at Anfield or in town. I know we have some dickheads following us too, but I bet in terms of proportions, it’d be significantly smaller than other clubs.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

The president of the Bulgaria Football Union, Borislav Mihaylov, has resigned.

Bulgaria Prime Minister Boyko Borissov called for him to quit on Tuesday after the racist abuse of England players in the Euro 2020 qualifier in Sofia.

The manager though - didn't hear a thing??

Their manager was a disgrace. You could see Henderson arguing with him. Looked like the cunt had said "just get on with it".