You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football - 2019/20

6 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

We're not all wankers mate. 

I am. But I'd still rather see the home countries win than lose. The current England team is far less objectionable than it has been, Kane notwithstanding. I just wish the hype and jingoism surrounding it would fuck off. But that's the tabloids and the FA to blame, and it doesn't look like ever changing.

15 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

We're not all wankers mate. 

I'm sure that is the case, but sadly so, so many of them are that it is for me at least impossible to feel anything but disdain for the whole thing.

Every small time shithouse who rocks up at Anfield in the away end week in week out with their shite England banner with their shite 'on tour', poppy, team or town emblazoned on it - who sing 'sign on' 'always the victim' and so on have just turned me so far away from the whole ingerlund thing it is hard to describe the antipathy i feel towards it....The Scum newspaper readers, cockneys giving it the big one, small time twats who hate our city, who hate our club - are what i asscociate the whole England thing with.

Sorry if that catches decent lads too, but it is way I feel.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

The way I see things lads is we support who we choose. I'm Liverpool through and through, yet I can switch off between club and Country. I approach football as a fan of the sport. As a Liverpool fan it is somewhere above all else, a club that is a family beyond all else. That doesn't mean I can't support the national team imo. I'm proud to be English, even though I hate how others bring that over.  

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

PM'd

I'm waiting.............I guess you feel the same way, as in how everyone portrays Americans. if we as humans could one day judge people on who they are then the World would be a far better place. 

Guest Pistonbroke
21 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I like that Piston. Very cool. 

It's just the honest way of looking at people mate. We all get mixed mixed up in the way we portray people because of nationality and the way those countries have acted.  We need to realise you have good and bad wherever you go and concentrate in the good.

Southgate is a shit manager. He's that shit people and the media actually lowered expectations for a world cup. His greatest achievement is he made us accept we are shite. It's quite amazing what an easy ride he has had actually, it's not usually like the media to show this level of maturity. He should have a turnip for a head.

6 hours ago, Mudface said:

I am. But I'd still rather see the home countries win than lose. The current England team is far less objectionable than it has been, Kane notwithstanding. I just wish the hype and jingoism surrounding it would fuck off. But that's the tabloids and the FA to blame, and it doesn't look like ever changing.

I think a lot of it is arrogance of the players themselves, whenever you see an English club play a foreign team we are told how shit the opposition i.e. before our Bayern game last year, you have English former players like Rio Ferdinand talking like Bayern are some kind of pub team who we should absolutely slaughter and then afterwards slagging us off for not beating them in the first leg.

It's no wonder that when those players went to tournaments they fucking failed, they have no concept or respect of any teams or players outside of what they played with other than fawning over everything Barca or Real do. 

56 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Southgate is a shit manager. He's that shit people and the media actually lowered expectations for a world cup. His greatest achievement is he made us accept we are shite. It's quite amazing what an easy ride he has had actually, it's not usually like the media to show this level of maturity. He should have a turnip for a head.

He was shit at club level and he's shit at International level. Like most before him they do OK against cannon fodder to qualify, put in some half decent performances in matches they are expected to win and then absolutely crumble and have no clue once they are up against any decent team.

40 minutes ago, chevettehs said:

I think a lot of it is arrogance of the players themselves, whenever you see an English club play a foreign team we are told how shit the opposition i.e. before our Bayern game last year, you have English former players like Rio Ferdinand talking like Bayern are some kind of pub team who we should absolutely slaughter and then afterwards slagging us off for not beating them in the first leg.

It's no wonder that when those players went to tournaments they fucking failed, they have no concept or respect of any teams or players outside of what they played with other than fawning over everything Barca or Real do. 

He was shit at club level and he's shit at International level. Like most before him they do OK against cannon fodder to qualify, put in some half decent performances in matches they are expected to win and then absolutely crumble and have no clue once they are up against any decent team.

Yeah the point about Rio is so true. They really think the premier league is the epicentre of football (with a comparitively poor Real and Barca).

Us and City are the two best club sides in Europe. Chelsea and Leicester are very good but not top 10 european standard just yet. Spurs were there last year but are horrific right now. Yet they spout the same shite each week and are shocked at Valencia, Seville, Lyon or Leipzig rocking up and bossing English teams over the years.

The lad Greenwood is another. Clearly very talented but they are talking about him like he's the next coming of Bobby Charlton. The media would have you believe that England will dominate the 2020s and Germany and Italy are fucked. Yet, i'd say a Germany-Italy ec or wc final is much more likely than England getting there. The Germans and Italians will have lulls but always produce great players. 

The fact is English people don't really like each other and it goes beyond regional differences found in other countries. A typical gang of 10 scouse lads on the ale abroad (not the coked up scals) will inevitably have a great laugh with a group of say ten lads from Dublin, Warsaw or Dortmund sitting beside them. Put them beside ten lads from other parts of England and they'll probably just keep to themselves. I'd say it isn't that different in the England camp, though i will say Southgate seems like a nice man who might foster some type of spirit.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'm waiting.............I guess you feel the same way, as in how everyone portrays Americans. if we as humans could one day judge people on who they are then the World would be a far better place. 

You're right buddy.

8 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

It's just the honest way of looking at people mate. We all get mixed mixed up in the way we portray people because of nationality and the way those countries have acted.  We need to realise you have good and bad wherever you go and concentrate in the good.

Having travelled a lot over the years this is undeniable true. I hate Nationalism which is one of the reasons I am out of love with the English national team and the significant numbers of hard-core rule Britannia , Anthem chanting , xenophobic, beer swilling gobshites that follow them . Right now I am ashamed of England and the way the country is looking inward and treating good people that come to work her from abroad to escape persecution or poverty . In general they enhance the nations culture and prosperity. So I can't say I am proud to be English at the moment or give two fucks whether we win or lose on the football field. I hope that changes but I'm prepared to jump ship if it doesn't. 

5 hours ago, chevettehs said:

It made it even more beautiful when that lowly pub team humiliated Spurs, and Slobberchops in particular.

4 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

This Rep of Ireland side are a hard watch

It's very humbling being an Irish Liverpool fan.

I spend every international break waiting for Manè to pop up in a green shirt to work his magic, but he never comes.

Just now, Em City said:

It's very humbling being an Irish Liverpool fan.

I spend every international break waiting for Manè to pop up in a green shirt to work his magic, but he never comes.

Ha ha.

I'm Irish too mate and want them to do well and I like McCarthy but it's pure eye aids watching this. 

• Upvote 1