You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Milner: No progress on new deal

tlw content

I'd love to see him stay as he's worth something for the example he sets for young players coming through. If the club decided to let him go on the basis of the old Uncle Bob line of letting his legs go on someone elses pitch I'd understand it, however based on his fitness levels and how he looks after himself he is probably one of those guys who is going to be still be more than capable of offering something when he's hitting 37 or 38 years of age. 

He doesn't play every week but when he does play his performance level is as good as its ever been. He wins the bleep test every summer so fitness wise there's no reason whatsoever not to keep him.

Then you factor in everything else he brings, the professionalism, the leadership, the balls of steel, the humour, the ratings for LFCTV whenever him and Robbo are on, there's not a single reason to not give him a new contract and frankly I'm annoyed that it still hasn't been done.

Get him signed.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

He doesn't play every week but when he does play his performance level is as good as its ever been. He wins the bleep test every summer so fitness wise there's no reason whatsoever not to keep him.

Then you factor in everything else he brings, the professionalism, the leadership, the balls of steel, the humour, the ratings for LFCTV whenever him and Robbo are on, there's not a single reason to not give him a new contract and frankly I'm annoyed that it still hasn't been done.

Get him signed.

Pretty much how I feel, unless we plan on spending 60m on a top quality player to replace him, why wouldn't we keep him. Even then... just fucking keep him. He's James fucking Milner.

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Pretty much how I feel, unless we plan on spending 60m on a top quality player to replace him, why wouldn't we keep him. Even then... just fucking keep him. He's James fucking Milner.

Yeah that's basically it. There isn't a single reason not to do it. Even his wages, which are a little on the high side, aren't really an issue as it's not like he's getting a five year deal that we'll be saddled with.

Besides, he's been worth every penny of that salary and then some.

5 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah that's basically it. There isn't a single reason not to do it. Even his wages, which are a little on the high side, aren't really an issue as it's not like he's getting a five year deal that we'll be saddled with.

Besides, he's been worth every penny of that salary and then some.

And we have shifted fucking loads of money off the wage bill recently too. Yep. That's it. Get him signed. Me and Dave will chip in one English groat each, if needed. 

Guest Pistonbroke

He really is the ultimate professional. Never whines at rotation, Mr cool under pressure, versatility and a great role model for the youngsters. I said it in the League cup match thread, it must be a joy for the youngsters to play on the same wing as him, we saw that in how Jones performed against MK Dons. Giving him a new contract should be a no brainer. 

Maybe we're looking at some kind of longer-term player/coach role and that might be complicating discussions. Jurgen has been very complimentary about his role in the dressing room and I suspect he won't want to lose that. 

4 hours ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Given his balls, fitness, versatility, intelligence, tenacity, experience and grit are so widely respected, his quality is sometimes almost an afterthought. What a fucking player he is.

2 year extension has to be one of the easiest contract decisions we’ve ever made. No doubt the size of the salary will be an issue, given he came on a free transfer in his prime and will be on over £100k per week.

Shouldn’t be a reason not to get it done. If this isn’t what you trim the deadwood, sell off 14 year olds to Bournemouth for the price of a house in Kensington and have 500 different noodle partners for then I don’t know what is. Easily one of our most influential players and like a manager on the pitch.

Get him signed up.

This.

Lots of talk he would have gone to Leeds this summer if they were promoted and would like to finish his career there. 

Just give him a two year deal and a spot on the coaching staff. 

He’s only been here a few years but like another Leeds great he and Gary Mac are Liverpool legends. 

Lots of talk he would have gone to Leeds this summer if they were promoted and would like to finish his career there. 

He’s only been here a few years but like another Leeds great he and Gary Mac are Liverpool legends. 

15 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I heard you the first time.

• Upvote 2

If Gerrard has been sounded out as Klopps replacement something I am not entirely comfortable with (possibility of fans turning against a legend) who better to be one of the coaching team than someone who has been on the full journey with Jurgen. Has everything required to be coach at LFC. 

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Apparently he has played the following games for each team:

Leeds - 54

Newcastle - 136

Villa - 126

Man City - 203

Liverpool - 188

So by the end of the season he should properly be more of a Liverpool player than anywhere else.  Which seems right.

Had no idea he'd played so many times for City.

Where can you find someone out there with his attitude, ability, leadership & experience? He’s the ethos of our club under Klopp and for me our dressing room would be a poorer place without him. Get him signed up until 2022 with an option to add him to the backroom staff. Oh, and he needs a song...