You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Milner: No progress on new deal

tlw content

James Milner says that he is in the dark regarding the possibility of extending his career at the Reds.

The popular veteran is entering the final 12 months of his current contract and despite some early progress, the 33 year-old said there has been no update for some time.

The Liverpool Echo reported the midfielder as saying:

“As it stands, last year we spoke to the club and asked them if they wanted to do something and they said not at that time.

"We haven’t heard anything since, so that’s where we are at."

Jurgen Klopp spoke of his complete admiration of Milner a couple of days ago saying that he is a manager's dream because he gives his all every time he takes to the pitch and cares so much to the overall cause.

The manager said having Milner around is non-negotiable as far as he is concerned.

“Character, talent, all that stuff is on the highest level. It’s strange, only in sports do we speak about a 33-year-old person as if he was old.

"Milly, especially, with all the things he has, there are still a few good years to come. 

milner4_600.jpg

"And for a guy like him, there is always a door open in our club.

"As long as I am here, there will always be a place for a guy like him.”

Milner who joined the Reds in the summer of 2015 was thankful for those kind words by his manager.

"It’s obviously nice. All I can do is concentrate on my football and do what I can.

"But in terms of where I am with my contract, that’s what has happened up until now and I haven’t heard anything from the club.”

Milner was an ever present for Klopp last season making 45 appearances in all competitions taking his career tally in the top flight to 516, which is the most of any current player.

There is a common school of thought that once you approach the mid 30s it is time for a footballer to look at other options, however the fitness fanatic doesn't fit the bill of someone appraching the end of his career just yet.

To the contrary, Milner feels he has a fair bit left in the tank.

"Yeah, I’d like to think so..

"Everyone pipes on about my age and stuff I understand you are going to get that.

"There are three things to it: availability, fitness and performance level. Hopefully I am delivering all three.

“I am just going to keep concentrating on my football, keep contributing to Liverpool and be the best player I can be for as long as possible.”

View full article

If he wants a new contract, then give it to him.

Here, have this one...

To James Milner,

You will be paid £165,000 per week, play like a boss, help win the Premier League and drink lots of Ribena. Two year extension, meaning you will be 36 years old at the end.

If you agree, tick the next box...   

|------|

|       |

|------|

If you disagree, tick the next box...

mwa ha ha ha ha ha

There is no next box. Sign, bitch.

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I dont think FSG are being unreasonable hesitating over paying that for a player of his age.

No they aren't in this case, they are huge wages for ageing player. 

Just saying absolutely no way they do this if they won't even spend wages on new signings. 

He’s a true winner, leader and role model. He was our fittest player last year, he’s our fittest player this year, and he’ll be our fittest player next year. He tends to be there, and to make a difference, when it counts.

If he’s eager to sign a new deal and isn’t offered one pretty soon it’s a disgrace.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

He’s a true winner, leader and role model. He was our fittest player last year, he’s our fittest player this year, and he’ll be our fittest player next year. He tends to be there, and to make a difference, when it counts.

If he’s eager to sign a new deal and isn’t offered one pretty soon it’s a disgrace.

Agree totally, he must be boss to have around Melwood etc too.

59 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I wouldn't imagine BGJ would expect the same pay level , as I'm sure he is aware that the original amount was skewed by him being on a free.

It'll be his last contract though and if he has another good season who’s to say another club won’t offer him the big bucks? Next year £165k could be the new £100k. 

11 hours ago, Grinch said:

Rolling yearly contract is a very sensible approach for a player his age. 

This is the most sensible and pragmatic solution. I hate even thinking about footballer's wages due to the obscene amounts paid at the top level but I'm sure a deal like this could be worked out.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

This is the most sensible and pragmatic solution. I hate even thinking about footballer's wages due to the obscene amounts paid at the top level but I'm sure a deal like this could be worked out.

It's not like he's going to fuck off if he's still getting game time and it's going well for him. 

Nor do I think Klopp would stand in his way if he wanted to leave to say Leeds next summer, so we've nothing to lose here. 

• 2 months later...

Given his balls, fitness, versatility, intelligence, tenacity, experience and grit are so widely respected, his quality is sometimes almost an afterthought. What a fucking player he is.

2 year extension has to be one of the easiest contract decisions we’ve ever made. No doubt the size of the salary will be an issue, given he came on a free transfer in his prime and will be on over £100k per week.

Shouldn’t be a reason not to get it done. If this isn’t what you trim the deadwood, sell off 14 year olds to Bournemouth for the price of a house in Kensington and have 500 different noodle partners for then I don’t know what is. Easily one of our most influential players and like a manager on the pitch.

Get him signed up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Given his balls, fitness, versatility, intelligence, tenacity, experience and grit are so widely respected, his quality is sometimes almost an afterthought. What a fucking player he is.

2 year extension has to be one of the easiest contract decisions we’ve ever made. No doubt the size of the salary will be an issue, given he came on a free transfer in his prime and will be on over £100k per week.

Shouldn’t be a reason not to get it done. If this isn’t what you trim the deadwood, sell off 14 year olds to Bournemouth for the price of a house in Kensington and have 500 different noodle partners for then I don’t know what is. Easily one of our most influential players and like a manager on the pitch.

Get him signed up.

With the way our owners operate there is no way he will get the same deal at his age. As Mr Stick says,if we win the league he might walk away and go to Leeds for a last hurrah.