You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jul 13-19 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Jul 13:

Can’t believe I forgot to mention this yesterday, but Crouchy announced his retirement. I love him. He’s top ten in my all time favourite Reds list. He’s one of the most under-rated players we’ve had, and also one of England’s most under-appreciated. He was technically brilliant. Great feet, great balance and a superb finisher. 

His height was an advantage in some ways as it helped him score a shitload of headers, but it held him back in others because if he was a foot shorter and had blistering pace he’d probably have been an even better player than he was because of the ability I mentioned. In addition to all that though, he’s just a fucking great lad and one of the easiest players to root for. The kind of lad you’d love to be mates with. 

Enjoy your retirement Crouchy lad. Crouchamania will always run wild in my household.

Meanwhile, Lucas Moura seems to be a little unclear about what constitutes a dribble, as he cast doubt on the claim that nobody had dribbled past Big Virg last season.

“They say he hasn’t been dribbled past since… whatever. If the guy is past him, it’s already a dribble. I don’t know, but the guys must have gone past him now. I know I scored a goal against Liverpool, we lost, but I scored against Liverpool and he was left behind. But he’s great. He is.”

Ok lad, let me explain this in simple terms for you. There are two types of dribble. For an example of the first, look at the liquid rolling down the chin of the man who kept you out of the starting line up in the final. That's not relevant to this conversation though, we're talking about the other type of dribble.

The definition of it is this: "(in soccer, hockey, and basketball) an act of taking the ball forward with repeated slight touches or bounces."

It is not running in behind someone onto a pass, which was what you referred to, presumably as it seems to be the only thing you are actually capable of. Hope this helps. You're right about Virg being great though.

Sunday Jul 14:

Bradford 1 L 3. Nice to see such a good turnout for Ste Darby. It’s just heartbreaking what’s happening to him and I don’t even know what to say. It’s just awful and my heart goes out to him as well as to his family and friends. Hopefully a lot of money was raised today and will help towards the research that may eventually find a cure. 

As for the game itself, performance wise it wasn’t as good as the other night at Tranmere. There were some decent performances and another goal for Brewster, who seems razor sharp when anything is loose in the box. The first half team did much better than the second, but that’s not really important at this point as it’s just as likely to go the other way in the next game. I thought Larouci did quite well again and Kent is looking bright so far.

Some interesting comments from Klopp afterwards as he more or less said that Mignolet is staying. He didn’t say that the Mig was happy about it but it does seem like they’ve come to an understanding. By that I mean, Klopp has said “yeah, we need you so you’re not being sold”.

Kloppo caused a bit of a stir with what he said about Lallana too. He’s been used as a number six in the first two games, largely through necessity as Hendo and Gini haven’t been available. He seems to have enjoyed himself as he’s had loads of time on the ball to Cruyff turn his little heart out, but the thought of him playing that role in a high tempo, high stakes game does nothing for me. 

This isn’t a ‘new role’ for him in the way we’ve seen other players like Hendo, Milner and Trent switch positions. It is a smart thing to put him in a role where he isn’t having to exert himself too much until he’s got his full fitness back though. Lallana’s problem is he’s such a willing worker that he presses and plays harder than his body will allow. 

Still, Klopp was surely having a laugh at our expense with this….

“Adam is the kind of player who can play that and he enjoys this 'Jorginho' role – I hope Maurizio Sarri doesn't see the games or he will make an offer”.

InfantileDisloyalBordercollie-size_restricted.gif

The reaction those quotes got on twitter though was fucking brutal. Lallana seems to have replaced Hendo as the “LFC Family” whipping boy now though. Most of the replies to Klopp’s quote just made me sad. If Klopp wants to keep Lallana this season then why the fuck do you care? All this “SELL HIM!!!!” and people getting riled up about it, I don’t get it. We all have opinions on who we should sell and keep but how can people feel so strongly about it that they’ll be kicking off on social media demanding Klopp get rid? It’s fucking mental. 

So what if he’s on 100k a week. That’s the club’s problem, not yours. You aren’t paying his wages. This isn’t 1980. If Klopp thinks he needs Lallana in the squad this season then sound, it’s his decision and he knows far more about what he needs than any of us do. I think what bothers me the most though is I just don’t like seeing hostility towards players who have been nothing but good pros and have carried themselves well as Liverpool players. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic