You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sevilla (N) Friendly, 21/7/19

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Bollocks. I'd rather see someone leave on a red card than a stretcher. Foul play is foul play and should be called out.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But this lad did get a red card. It was the fouls earlier in the game that went unpunished allowed the standard to be set and I think that's tough for preseason. It doesn't serve our preparations to be playing 10 men for 80 mins. 

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

It's not quite that simple, but yes to some extent. Betis fans tends to be from more working class areas like Triana and Macarana. Sevilla fans more from the richer areas near the centre, and in fact just tend to pretend to like football. 

Games at Betis' ground are ace. Whilst it can be pretty quiet at Sevilla's ground.

The rub of this is that a lot of Betis fans are fascists while Sevilla fans are sound enough politics wise.

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Did you take it seriously? I thought he was taking the piss with all that "my prayers are with him and his family" like he's fighting for his life or something. 

Could be. I just took it at face value that he was genuinely sorry.

30 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. But this lad did get a red card. It was the fouls earlier in the game that went unpunished allowed the standard to be set and I think that's tough for preseason. It doesn't serve our preparations to be playing 10 men for 80 mins. 

Exackerly. They should start pulling them up early on rather than let it slide until some twat pulls an incredibly horrendous foul like that and then comes the old who me? I rather be playing 10 men for 80 minutes than potentially lose a player for months. Friendly or ECL final, referees should do their fucking job, the rules are the rules.

His "apology" is a joke, presumably a script given him by the club PR twat.

1 hour ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Exackerly. They should start pulling them up early on rather than let it slide until some twat pulls an incredibly horrendous foul like that and then comes the old who me? I rather be playing 10 men for 80 minutes than potentially lose a player for months. Friendly or ECL final, referees should do their fucking job, the rules are the rules.

His "apology" is a joke, presumably a script given him by the club PR twat.

I thought the apology was a genuine piss take "prayers for him and his family". 

A few years back in these preseason games a ref would tell a manager to sub his player who should have had a red, but for whatever reason that seems to have stopped. I think that's a way to deal with it myself and if it then continues with other players, send them off. 

The ref lost control of the game early on and never regained it. Their players were complete knobheads from the first whistle to the last and they should have been down to 10 by half time, that Banega jabroni should have been long sent off. 

And I know it's pre-season and all that but we can't defend to save our lives currently. 

17 minutes ago, niallers said:

Would've loved had mig steamed in giving it the full beans, gangly arms a swinging and sparked him out. Anfield iron would've obliged

Would be an added bonus if Mignolet got banned for life for the attack. 

• Downvote 1

On 22/07/2019 at 11:30, Jairzinho said:

I'd imagine you're basing this on an enormous sample size, no?

"I once went to Millwall v West Ham, and do you know what not everyone was very nice"

You went to one of the most politically charged derbies in Spain. The idea that this, or in fact a friendly against Sevilla, is representative of Spanish football, is fucking ridiculous. 

Would you want all people in Spain to think that every single English football fan is a hooligan? Why wouldn't they think that, in Sevilla especially. They've had United, Leicester and England fans in the last few years attacking people in the streets, intimidating women and children, smashing up shops, and desecrating the cathedral. They should probably despise all English football fans I suppose.

Do you not think La Liga players dive a lot more often than those in the PL?

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

Do you mean the refs blow the whistle quicker so players try take advantage?

Essentially, yes. Obviously it's a bit chicken and egg.

Players are generally less naive, more machiavellian. If you have a ref that blows up for every slightest contact you're an idiot if you don't adjust how you play. That's the attitude. 

Refs in Spain are more studious, more officious. They made fewer errors than English refs but are more likely to ruin a game of football by stopping the flow.  I suppose in some ways they are also influenced by what fans expect. 

Spanish fans expect good football, and they expect those providing it to be protected.