You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

One change you'd make to improve town

Oh Buoy

As the title suggests, you've got one idea/change you'd make to improve down. 

- Build more office space to attract bigger companies

- Remove all the gash shops from St. Johns and have upcoming independents in there that isn't just half price clothing

14 minutes ago, Six Buoys said:

Build more office space to attract bigger companies.

This is a massive problem.

There is no incubation space, no tech space etc beyond the Baltic triangle which basically consists of two hipsters sat in camp and Furness all day trying to dream up ways of getting a job at Facebook.

The council's only business plan appears to be based on the student pound and lately apart hotels to attach the stag and hen crowd. 

It's a short term, low spending, often rowdy night time economy propped up by a few remnants of public sector companies. 

Manchester must thank its lucky starts every day that we've got nobody at the helm with any business or development vision.

I'd outright ban all so-called 'street entertainment' too, if I never see another shit gospel choir made up of white fatties again it'll be too soon, or the plethora of shite wannabe musicians MCartneys scam factory LIPA has unleashed upon us, like the Ghostbusters containment unit when it gets switched off, except instead of ghosts its teenage girls with guitars who sound like a cat trying to get out of a slippery skip.

• Upvote 1

Sort the fucking pavements out around Dale/Victoria St. Just like Manchester city centre, full of uneven flags that splash mud all over you if its been raining. Pisses me off. And it fucking sinks around there as well especially in the mornings. 

Bring back the Golden Phoenix and also the Mediterranean shop in Clayton Square. 

Have a few Hawks living on Church St to scare off the seagull bastards. In-fact we might need Pterodactyls because them seagulls are hard as fuck. 

Stop building student accommodation all over the place and instead build homeless shelters and as has been said, office space. 

I've a nostalgic idea of town from when I was a kid and my uncle used to take me shopping with him. He'd go all mad little record shops, places that had graffiti on the walls would sell music t shirts and posters, he'd go to charity shops buy mad clobber. One city centre looks like the next these days, no uniqueness, no personal stamp, same shops same shite. I wouldn't even know if it's better or worse my nostalgic view comes from childhood.

• Upvote 2

Mandatory Liverbird beer taps like they have in The Globe in every pub.

Going back in time & not knocking down The Cavern would be good too, out of all the shite decisions made by town planners/councils over the years, that has to be near the top of the list.

Oh & Transalpino should be a four storey superstore... maybe.

Apologies, that was three.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Six Buoys said:

As the title suggests, you've got one idea/change you'd make to improve down. 

- Build more office space to attract bigger companies

- Remove all the gash shops from St. Johns and have upcoming independents in there that isn't just half price clothing

That's two things.

• Upvote 1

The begging issue in town is a disgrace.  As harsh as it sounds the police/council should be moving them on.  Take them to the homeless hostels etc.  Town is full of young people/students and plenty of these cunts try intimidating them into giving them money.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've a nostalgic idea of town from when I was a kid and my uncle used to take me shopping with him. He'd go all mad little record shops, places that had graffiti on the walls would sell music t shirts and posters, he'd go to charity shops buy mad clobber. One city centre looks like the next these days, no uniqueness, no personal stamp, same shops same shite. I wouldn't even know if it's better or worse my nostalgic view comes from childhood.

I’d make the time slip portals on Bold Street reality rather than a figment of Tim Slemen’s imagination.

• Upvote 1