You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Big Events That Haven't Been Made Into Films

Bjornebye

I'm not talking barely heard of low budget films, I'm on about major movies.

They had 2 big films about 9/11 before the dust had even settled in Lower Manhattan. United 93 and World Trade Centre. 

I was just reading up again on the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster and thought that would make a good movie. Might sound grim obviously with people dying but it would certainly be an interesting watch provided its done right. Same goes for the Piper Alpha disaster. 

They don't have to be disaster movies of course but movie worthy events that have happened. 

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Hasn't the Jonestown one been done already?

Bhopal in India,Union Carbide?Think its had many documentaries but not a film.

Documentary yes, I can't remember a film about it though. 

10 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Might have to give that a watch, certainly passed me by. 

It's worth a watch.  It doesn't expressly reference Jonestown, but is clearly based on it.  They just switch up the names of Jones etc.  It gets 6/10 on IMDB, which is a high score for a found footage movie.  

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I thought that drama starring Jenna Coleman seemed to stray into McCann territory, at least regarding theories that they'd dosed the kid up and it died accidentally.

It's called 'The Cry.'

I'm sure the author said that the McCann case did inspire the drama, but also that other case involving the Chamberlains. 

The Darts world championiship.

Ah Brissy is the battle between the two undisputed demi Gods of the sport, John Lowe (played by Matt Damon) and the eponymous hero Eric Bristow (played by Clint Eastwood) and a titanic struggle between good and evil to see which colossus of the sport will prevail. Sam Rockwell steals the show with his uncanny cameo as the young upstart  and Brissy's then understudy, Phil The Power Taylor.

Two men enter, only one man can leave victorious in this tale of innocence lost, cameraderie, triumph, tragedy, and the ultimate betrayal in sports most legendary ever rivalry.

Mavis, get the beers in. ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTYYYYYYY!

at cinemas near you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Hasn't the Jonestown one been done already?

Bhopal in India,Union Carbide?Think its had many documentaries but not a film.

3 hours ago, TK421 said:

It's worth a watch.  It doesn't expressly reference Jonestown, but is clearly based on it.  They just switch up the names of Jones etc.  It gets 6/10 on IMDB, which is a high score for a found footage movie.  

Guyana Tragedy with Powers Boothe, made for TV, I think I saw it as a kid.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080832/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_

• Like 1