Quantcast
The Athletic - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sugar Ape

The Athletic

Impressive that they’ve already managed to get the bulk of the best writers out there (although they probably realise better than anybody that the traditional model is dying a rapid death). Looking forward to seeing how it works. I’ll probably sign up out of curiosity anyway on an initial basis. 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Great news this, it shows that people are slowly but surely realising that clickbait isn't the way to make journalism pay, and that hopefully we'll get back to seeing in-depth, quality articles on all subjects. Here's hoping.  

Seven Reasons Why The Athletic Will Change Your World (Number Four Will Shock You!!)

• Upvote 3

On 17/07/2019 at 10:40, viRdjil said:

Hmmmmm..... it might be 2+2=85 here, but @Mathewbet1 hasn’t posted in a while. 

Feelers well and truly out.

I like the idea of this and would certainly subscribe for a few quid a month. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Caramac said:

The Athletic launched in the UK, James Pearce and Simon Hughes confirmed for LFC related stuff.

https://theathletic.com/1079638/2019/08/05/what-to-expect-from-the-athletic-in-the-uk/

No mention of articles about grassroots or how the elite professional game is killing the rest of it? I find articles that are just solely about professional,and the elite clubs,pretty boring and they just promote the hollywood lifestyle side more than anything else.

On 18/07/2019 at 15:00, El Rojo said:

Impressive that they’ve already managed to get the bulk of the best writers out there...

They completely failed to get that Usher bloke from ESPN.

• Upvote 1

I’ve just subscribed and it looks pretty good. You get access to all the US sports stuff as well if anyone is interested in that and the boxing and MMA stuff. 

I’m not really interested in MMA but the boxing stuff looks decent.

I don't see it succeeding. How many genuinely good writers are there covering football? Very few, and none, IMHO, who really are outstandingly stylish and thoughtful writers. What people would pay for are reporters who are capable of breaking big news stories on a regular basis, and hardly any of the people they've hired will do that. 

19 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I don't see it succeeding. How many genuinely good writers are there covering football? Very few, and none, IMHO, who really are outstandingly stylish and thoughtful writers. What people would pay for are reporters who are capable of breaking big news stories on a regular basis, and hardly any of the people they've hired will do that. 

You go on Twitter now for breaking news and that's free. That's not the point for a service like The Athletic. The point will be to have detailed stories with inside info from clubs. Stuff you can't get from following a guy on Twitter who just gets scoops.

If they have writers who have access to clubs and can get interesting tidbits from transfer negotiations and stuff like that, it will have its place. They just had a story on the Harry Maguire signing and they mentioned a lot of the inside stuff on the transfer you don't often get and it was pretty good. I don't know if I would pay for that personally, but it was pretty good.

Yeah the Athletic should hopefully be covering teams like The Blizzard and These football times do with writers free to cover other aspects of the team that the press don't. It allows longer more in depth reads. I guess as a US sports fan I'm used to following local 'beat' reporters a d from that standpoint I'm pretty happy with the Saints coverage from them as they stole a couple of great reporters back from ESPN who moved them to new teams. 

Im hopeful its good but it'll need to be for me to fork out £60 next year. The mainstream press don't cover football in anything but shite match reports and gossip, old magazine like World soccer was great but by the time you got the next issue the story was nearly a month old. I guess different clubs fans will like or dislike it depending on good the teams writers are. 

It's worth a punt at £30 for 12 months anyway

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah the Athletic should hopefully be covering teams like The Blizzard and These football times do with writers free to cover other aspects of the team that the press don't. It allows longer more in depth reads. I guess as a US sports fan I'm used to following local 'beat' reporters a d from that standpoint I'm pretty happy with the Saints coverage from them as they stole a couple of great reporters back from ESPN who moved them to new teams. 

Im hopeful its good but it'll need to be for me to fork out £60 next year. The mainstream press don't cover football in anything but shite match reports and gossip, old magazine like World soccer was great but by the time you got the next issue the story was nearly a month old. I guess different clubs fans will like or dislike it depending on good the teams writers are. 

It's worth a punt at £30 for 12 months anyway

Exactly my thoughts and the £29.99 for a year is a decent offer and I know you are big on your boxing Lee which is covered also

Just have to make sure I don't forget to cancel it within the 12 months ( just been stung by Now TV in a similar situation )

57 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Exactly my thoughts and the £29.99 for a year is a decent offer and I know you are big on your boxing Lee which is covered also

Just have to make sure I don't forget to cancel it within the 12 months ( just been stung by Now TV in a similar situation )

Cancel it a day or two after you’ve paid, mate. Says in the small print that after you cancel your sub, it will remain active for the duration you’ve paid for. 

• Upvote 1

Should be sorted from the season once James Richardson Golazo returns

Athletic for all round sports, bundesliga and  la liga

Golazo Serie A

3 Stacks Ligue 1

What a time to be alive 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Should be sorted from the season once James Richardson Golazo returns

Athletic for all round sports, bundesliga and  la liga

Golazo Serie A

3 Stacks Ligue 1

What a time to be alive 

Honoured to be put in the esteemed company of such talented content creators, mate. 

Well your not in the company of AC Jimbo, but nobody is

Until we see sitting under the Eiffel  tower with a croissant, black coffee with a copy of L'Équipe at least

DJtGBUGXgAIYEwz.jpg

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You go on Twitter now for breaking news and that's free. That's not the point for a service like The Athletic. The point will be to have detailed stories with inside info from clubs. Stuff you can't get from following a guy on Twitter who just gets scoops.

If they have writers who have access to clubs and can get interesting tidbits from transfer negotiations and stuff like that, it will have its place. They just had a story on the Harry Maguire signing and they mentioned a lot of the inside stuff on the transfer you don't often get and it was pretty good. I don't know if I would pay for that personally, but it was pretty good.

Many thanks for the explanation as to how the world works. You left out boneheaded pedants who misunderstand posts but intervene anyway, but otherwise a most comprehensive job. I like the idea of 'going on twitter' for inside information. That sounds excellent, and so much better than seeking out professionals with bona fide contacts at a club. I hear there's this group called 'The Firm' who are meant to be excellent. And I also like the thought of 'detailed stories'. I feared that most of these would turn out to be set up as major attractions for subscribers, to be followed by the more mundane stuff the same writers churned out in their old jobs, but apparently not. Thanks for the insight!

• Downvote 1