You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Athletic

Sugar Ape

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Is this whole thing maybe a clever 12 month ruse? One where once they've counted the cash of the cut priced first year then they will just fuck off as soon as they try to sell it at full price next year?

I think that was Hicks and Gillette. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Many thanks for the explanation as to how the world works. You left out boneheaded pedants who misunderstand posts but intervene anyway, but otherwise a most comprehensive job. I like the idea of 'going on twitter' for inside information. That sounds excellent, and so much better than seeking out professionals with bona fide contacts at a club. I hear there's this group called 'The Firm' who are meant to be excellent. And I also like the thought of 'detailed stories'. I feared that most of these would turn out to be set up as major attractions for subscribers, to be followed by the more mundane stuff the same writers churned out in their old jobs, but apparently not. Thanks for the insight!

Err, alright. Bet things are going great for you at the moment for you to have taken my post in the way you did. You said people would pay money for "breaking big news stories", which is obviously false because news breaks on Twitter basically in real time and for free.

So actually, it's true you don't get it. Laugh out loud funny you would get mad at me for pointing this out to you, though. 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

They're offering a six-month @ $1.25 per deal over here:

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro1/introperiod6?source=twitterads&ad_id=30022903

Perhaps they're offering something similar over there.

Hopefully they do. It’s approaching 12 months since they launched here. If enough people cancel their initial subs then they’ll have no choice but to whore it out like that. 

From what you’re saying it sounds like Canada has had enough.

Edit: a thread has just been started about it.