You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Athletic

Sugar Ape

Impressive that they’ve already managed to get the bulk of the best writers out there (although they probably realise better than anybody that the traditional model is dying a rapid death). Looking forward to seeing how it works. I’ll probably sign up out of curiosity anyway on an initial basis. 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Great news this, it shows that people are slowly but surely realising that clickbait isn't the way to make journalism pay, and that hopefully we'll get back to seeing in-depth, quality articles on all subjects. Here's hoping.  

Seven Reasons Why The Athletic Will Change Your World (Number Four Will Shock You!!)

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Caramac said:

The Athletic launched in the UK, James Pearce and Simon Hughes confirmed for LFC related stuff.

https://theathletic.com/1079638/2019/08/05/what-to-expect-from-the-athletic-in-the-uk/

No mention of articles about grassroots or how the elite professional game is killing the rest of it? I find articles that are just solely about professional,and the elite clubs,pretty boring and they just promote the hollywood lifestyle side more than anything else.

I don't see it succeeding. How many genuinely good writers are there covering football? Very few, and none, IMHO, who really are outstandingly stylish and thoughtful writers. What people would pay for are reporters who are capable of breaking big news stories on a regular basis, and hardly any of the people they've hired will do that. 

19 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I don't see it succeeding. How many genuinely good writers are there covering football? Very few, and none, IMHO, who really are outstandingly stylish and thoughtful writers. What people would pay for are reporters who are capable of breaking big news stories on a regular basis, and hardly any of the people they've hired will do that. 

You go on Twitter now for breaking news and that's free. That's not the point for a service like The Athletic. The point will be to have detailed stories with inside info from clubs. Stuff you can't get from following a guy on Twitter who just gets scoops.

If they have writers who have access to clubs and can get interesting tidbits from transfer negotiations and stuff like that, it will have its place. They just had a story on the Harry Maguire signing and they mentioned a lot of the inside stuff on the transfer you don't often get and it was pretty good. I don't know if I would pay for that personally, but it was pretty good.

Yeah the Athletic should hopefully be covering teams like The Blizzard and These football times do with writers free to cover other aspects of the team that the press don't. It allows longer more in depth reads. I guess as a US sports fan I'm used to following local 'beat' reporters a d from that standpoint I'm pretty happy with the Saints coverage from them as they stole a couple of great reporters back from ESPN who moved them to new teams. 

Im hopeful its good but it'll need to be for me to fork out £60 next year. The mainstream press don't cover football in anything but shite match reports and gossip, old magazine like World soccer was great but by the time you got the next issue the story was nearly a month old. I guess different clubs fans will like or dislike it depending on good the teams writers are. 

It's worth a punt at £30 for 12 months anyway

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah the Athletic should hopefully be covering teams like The Blizzard and These football times do with writers free to cover other aspects of the team that the press don't. It allows longer more in depth reads. I guess as a US sports fan I'm used to following local 'beat' reporters a d from that standpoint I'm pretty happy with the Saints coverage from them as they stole a couple of great reporters back from ESPN who moved them to new teams. 

Im hopeful its good but it'll need to be for me to fork out £60 next year. The mainstream press don't cover football in anything but shite match reports and gossip, old magazine like World soccer was great but by the time you got the next issue the story was nearly a month old. I guess different clubs fans will like or dislike it depending on good the teams writers are. 

It's worth a punt at £30 for 12 months anyway

Exactly my thoughts and the £29.99 for a year is a decent offer and I know you are big on your boxing Lee which is covered also

Just have to make sure I don't forget to cancel it within the 12 months ( just been stung by Now TV in a similar situation )

57 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Exactly my thoughts and the £29.99 for a year is a decent offer and I know you are big on your boxing Lee which is covered also

Just have to make sure I don't forget to cancel it within the 12 months ( just been stung by Now TV in a similar situation )

Cancel it a day or two after you’ve paid, mate. Says in the small print that after you cancel your sub, it will remain active for the duration you’ve paid for. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Should be sorted from the season once James Richardson Golazo returns

Athletic for all round sports, bundesliga and  la liga

Golazo Serie A

3 Stacks Ligue 1

What a time to be alive 

Honoured to be put in the esteemed company of such talented content creators, mate. 

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You go on Twitter now for breaking news and that's free. That's not the point for a service like The Athletic. The point will be to have detailed stories with inside info from clubs. Stuff you can't get from following a guy on Twitter who just gets scoops.

If they have writers who have access to clubs and can get interesting tidbits from transfer negotiations and stuff like that, it will have its place. They just had a story on the Harry Maguire signing and they mentioned a lot of the inside stuff on the transfer you don't often get and it was pretty good. I don't know if I would pay for that personally, but it was pretty good.

Many thanks for the explanation as to how the world works. You left out boneheaded pedants who misunderstand posts but intervene anyway, but otherwise a most comprehensive job. I like the idea of 'going on twitter' for inside information. That sounds excellent, and so much better than seeking out professionals with bona fide contacts at a club. I hear there's this group called 'The Firm' who are meant to be excellent. And I also like the thought of 'detailed stories'. I feared that most of these would turn out to be set up as major attractions for subscribers, to be followed by the more mundane stuff the same writers churned out in their old jobs, but apparently not. Thanks for the insight!

• Downvote 1