You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LFC Draft Semi-final 2

Sugar Ape

Vote for the best two teams  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the best two teams

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/07/19 at 09:44

Not sure yet with the 2nd team. 

No. 2 is one

Don't like Gary Max as a 10. 

Dropping out one of the midfield 3(not Alonso) for a proper second striker/10 and it would be great

Not sure on the other

Like Dynamite but not sure on the balance of so many left midfielders/wingers Sheedy, Barnes, Liddell, Thompson. 

Alek back 3 ruins a good side. Add a proper RB for Kewell or Maxi and it would be my 2nd pick

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Alek back 3 ruins a good side. Add a proper RB for Kewell or Maxi and it would be my 2nd pick

Best defender the club has had (though VDD may dethrone him give it another season..), another from the top 6 or so, and Robertson who is a beast. With Souness and Henderson sitting in front there I don't think they get troubled..

No2 - 7/10

Not sure how a Keegan and Aldridge pairing would work but two quality players. 

The midfield is lopsided for me but you have two brilliant CB’s and have picked two wing backs to offer width and attacking threat.

Alex - 5/10

Some brilliant players, excellent midfield but fucking clueless how to set a side up. You should have not picked that twat Keane and picked a RB instead. 

viRdjil - 8/10

Nicely balanced team even though it’s missing some of the stellar names of other sides. 

Dynamite - 7/10

Brilliant front 4, good defence but completely lacking a midfield. Pity as it was looking so promising for this side early on. 

Elite - 8.5/10

Best balanced side in this group. Front pairing would work brilliantly together, good midfield players and a bloody solid defence. 

Without wanting to be deliberately negative, every team here has flaws. 

No2 has a CM playing as a 10 and two wing backs/midfielders in a back 4. But I like the rest of it. 

Alex has a very odd back three containing an out and out left back. Seems odd to talk him up during the selection (rightly) and then put him there. I don't think I could vote for this team tbh. 

Dynamite has what I'd consider a winger in centre midfielder plus I find the team a bit difficult to judge overall. But what I can judge, I like. 

ViRdjil has a substandard CB pairing and basically cheated with the keeper. The rest of it is solid though. 

With Elite, I'm not keen on Garcia and Cole wide in a 442. The rest, again, is solid. Defence in particular is good. 

2 hours ago, DimReaper said:

Without wanting to be deliberately negative, every team here has flaws. 

No2 has a CM playing as a 10 and two wing backs/midfielders in a back 4. But I like the rest of it. 

Alex has a very odd back three containing an out and out left back. Seems odd to talk him up during the selection (rightly) and then put him there. I don't think I could vote for this team tbh. 

Dynamite has what I'd consider a winger in centre midfielder plus I find the team a bit difficult to judge overall. But what I can judge, I like. 

ViRdjil has a substandard CB pairing and basically cheated with the keeper. The rest of it is solid though. 

With Elite, I'm not keen on Garcia and Cole wide in a 442. The rest, again, is solid. Defence in particular is good. 

Elaborate please.

Elite and Ardja for me as their teams have at least got most players playing in the correct position. Some of the others like Gary Mac as a number ten, Robbo in a back three and Dynamite's team of left wingers have got me scratching my head a little bit!

In my opinion, the criticism that Dynamite has too many left wingers is a bit harsh. Peter Thompson was two footed and could comfortably play on the right. Billy Liddell, by all accounts, was capable of playing in a number of positions, including centre-forward. That said, I’m not keen on Kevin Sheedy as a centre midfielder.

We’re judging players at their peak and all those players, at their peak, were left wingers. Sure, some of them could play other positions, but having four players that were essentially left wingers in the team is a bit too much, for me.

Still not as bad as the peak draft pick though, which was Code picking Steven Gerrard then putting him at right back.

I haven't got Gary Mac as a 10, certainly it wasn't meant to look like that. He's the more advanced of a 2 man midfield with Xabi. In his pomp at Leeds he was very attacking minded, as good as he was for us he was outstanding for Leeds. The Diamond shape is designed as to not restrict Gini to the left wing rather than to have Gary Mac pushed further forward.  It's a midfield of 4 intelligent players, they know what to do.

Guest Alex_K

Lot of quibbling over shape in this thread. Oh the horror when Guardiola moved Lahm from full back to midfield, or Milner went to left back!

Top players triumph. Unless you're sticking strikers in defence and so on, there's a way of making it work. Look back at sides like the conquering Ajax 90s team and you'll find a lot of unconventional formations. Gerrard's not a right back, but put him there at his peak and he'll be one of the best to have ever played the game.

That said:

No 2: Few too many journeymen in this team. Of the true greats, you've probably only nabbed Keegan and Alonso. A bunch of players from the Tier 2 & 3 kind of players there, with the odd Tier 4 (Westerveld; McAteer)

AK: Souness, Owen, Hansen all clear Tier 1 caliber players. From the rest, Kewell & Keane each record setters for their country. Yeats probably on the Carragher level. Remaining Tier 2 with some Tier 3 (Maxi; Keane in the context of other strikers for the club). Every player in that team was very prominent at their peak - maybe Maxi aside, though he has his own heroics to look bck on.

Ardja: Only looking at Gerrard here as a Tier 1 player. I don't care about shape - your personnel in defence shielded by Emre Can is not better than a defensive unit of Robertson/Yeats/Hansen/Henderson/Souness. That 5 just get shit done. Front 3 is nice but none of those players hold a candle to the 'great' attackers that have passed through the club. Sterling might when all is said and done with his career, but not yet. 

Dynamite: Lots of good players here. Beardsley + Barnes is a nice touch. Not 100% sure on that midfield but again, good players get it done. And you've got a number of Tier 1s.

Elite: Few too many powder-puff players in this one for my liking. Luis Garcia, Jamie Redknapp, Joe Cole .. this team is good for getting kicked off the park in the first stern test they face. Its also a really slow team - peak Torres aside. Defence is nice, but I wanted Arbeloa and you've stuck him in at LB, which was needless. Obviously Virgil is a mountain and elevates everything. Will give it to you above Ardja & No 2s on the basis.

Points go to Dynamite (1) and Elite (2).

No2

I really like this side. i think Keegans energy and Aldridge poaching would suit brilliantly. Very creative midfield, Might have benefited from Xabi over Gini and a DM in there to help as the full backs would be getting forward a lot. 

Legendary centre back pairing and Westervelt wasn't all that bad...... very good side.

Alex_K

Midfield and attack at their peak are a match for any side. Keane was a massive let-down for us, I wish we had brought him in a few years earlier. Kewell was some player at Leeds. Gutted he didn't make it here. I genuinely thought he would be the key to the title when we got him. 

You have fucked it in defence though. 3 world class players but as has been said, Hansen wasn't a back 3 defender and Robertson as part of a 3 ruins him as a pick. Swap Henderson for a RB and go 442 and you had a shout. 

ViRdjil

Fuck Can off and you have a contending side here. We should have fucking well kept Anelka. Pisses me off to this day that does. Sterling and Coutinho world class on their day. Midfield is decent if you switch Can out the preening prick. Defence is sound as is the keeper. Good side. 

Dynamite

Highest average age in the draft? Solid in every position. I didn't know Sheedy ever played for us but a lot of my older Blue mates say he is their best ever player. I will be sure to remind them of where he learnt how to play everytime I see them. 

Top defence and the flying pig in goal. 

Elite

I'd have switched Garcia and Cole over and swapped Hysen for fucking anyone but other than that this is a good side. Peak Torres and Morientes would have been great. Arbeloa at LB though? Hmm..... VVD is the man. 

No2 easy pick and Dynamite shades it for me. 

I went for Dynamite and Elite. I’m going to bed now, so I’m gonna try to explain as to why I didn’t vote for Alex K and No2.

Alex K - I don’t think his formation works with his set of players. Kewell and Maxi wouldn’t work as wingbacks in a 3-5-2.

No2 - I don’t think Mcallister ever played as a no 10. Both Ziege and Mcateer were more wingbacks than full backs too. Ziege in particular was awful at LB for us.